LegacyGT.com

3.0r

unorthodox

With the refresh of the Tribeca getting a new 3.5L, the 3.0R's engine is such a huge step backwards. The new 3.5L has more power and torque, not a huge amount but enough, and to boot it runs on regular unleaded instead of premium only. Now Subaru has the balls to talk about how green they are but meanwhile the continue to use old inefficient engines. Hey wake up and make the move to Direct Injection already. Don't get me wrong I really love my 2005 but I think Subaru could really blow everyone else away with if they took the big step to dramatically improve fuel economy. The 6 speed manual is a prerequisite for manuals and the 6 speed auto is mandatory for autos. There is no reason why the 2.5L Turbo or the 3.0/3.5 can't get 25 City and 30 Hwy. Yes I'm off the pulpit :-)

Just my two cents,

Shawn

you can use regular in the 3.0 h-6 but at $3-$4 savings per fill is it worth it?

i would assume that they will eventually put the bigger engine in the 3.0r to prolong the product life.

will it then be the 3.6r?

the 6 speed manual has been in the 3.0r since 2004, in other markets.

I meant 6 speed in the Legacy GT. $4-6 per fill up times 52 times per year (approx. 12K miles per year) thats a few hundred dollars. Add the green factor of being more responsible by not needlessly wasting resources would fit more into Subaru's current propaganda.

Shawn

I agree, but subaru's are so excellently priced and retain there value so well because they are so reserved with technology and make sure that they make their cars with solid, proven systems that allow the cars to last so long.

Do I agree with you? Absolutely! I think nissan has the right idea with either 6 gears or none (CVT). Every manual they have is a 6 speed which is amazing. Sure it costs more, but people still buy them.

I think subaru needs to do something different, because their going downhill IMO

You said it :-)

I've really become fond of their product but I'm concerned that good value or not they are leaving to many good potential improvements on the table instead of in the vehicles.

If they woulod make 6 speed the standard whether manual or auto and move to direct injection they would be the kings. AWD, affordable, good solid features, great engines, efficient (25 City/32+ HWY for the cars and 20 City/27+ HWY SUV) nobody could touch them. Oh and regular for the non-turbo engines also.

Shawn

its easy enough for us non-engineers to tell them how to make good money, but they make crazy money to make decisions such as these. So I trust w/e they do is what they are meaning to do.

But like I said, I completely agree. I probly won't own another subaru just because of this reasoning.

Zac

Its all about the bottom line really. Six speed transmissions and the new 3.6L engine are not cheap to produce and therefore are reserved for the more expensively priced and positioned products. Most of the price increase of a SpecB over a regular GT is of course the cost of the six speed transmission. Putting the 3.6 in the Legacy would mean more $$$ that perhaps the average Joe consumer might not be willing to spend on a Subaru. Besides there was probably a contract to build so many 3.0 engines that they need to use up, the Legacy will eventually go to 3.6 after a while.

The SpecB gets worse gas mileage in the city, and the same on the Hwy even though it has a 6MT...

Yeah, but its heavier and faster.

Time is also a factor. The 3.6L is new. It takes time to produce them, in addition to the time it takes to engineer them to fit into the car.

Its all about the bottom line really. Six speed transmissions and the new 3.6L engine are not cheap to produce and therefore are reserved for the more expensively priced and positioned products.

If they made the 6 speed manual standard on every car then cost would drop accordingly and the same goes for the engines. Volume at their level makes a huge difference in price. The same goes for the switch to direct injection, not to mention the major improvement in fuel economy that Subaru needs sooooo badly.

Shawn

you can use regular in the 3.0 h-6 but at $3-$4 savings per fill is it worth it?

You'll lose power if you use 87 octane. The 3.0 is tuned for 91, and 87 will cause detonation, causing timing to be retarded, reducing power. You might as well get a 2.5i if you want to run regular.

The 3.6 is tuned for 87.

Probably the same reason they took away the manual in wagons. They figured there wouldn't be enough buyers opting for a manual in a 6 cylinder car. Give them credit for listening and put a 6 cylinder in the sedan.

If the 3.0R automatic sells well, I'm sure they'll bring the 3.0R 6MT, unless they think that market is already covered by the Spec.B and soon-to-arrive Legacy tuned by STI... We'll see.

If the 3.0R automatic sells well, I'm sure they'll bring the 3.0R 6MT, unless they think that market is already covered by the Spec.B and soon-to-arrive Legacy tuned by STI... We'll see.

Maybe. I dunno.

If they don't offer it, people can't buy it. For example, the Taurus not offered in MT since early 90's and even then it was the SHO. So they come out with a new car (Fusion) so some commercials of people driving it and shiting into first gear and suddenly people want to drive stick again. So maybe if Subaru showed some pictures of people driving their cars and shifting Americans might remember than its more fuel efficient and fun to drive a standard.;)

The transmission already exists, its not like they need to design one, only the gear ratios might need to be changed. Let the consumer decide, I'd even pay half the price of an automatic for an extra gear especially if it was a .5 ratio!

Shawn

the 3.0r in other markets gets the 6 speed manual.

as subaru thinks....we are fat americans therfore we want automatics.

but honestly there is no market for it here.

Id buy a 6 cylinder MT. People buy the TL in MT.

Archived