LegacyGT.com

Gears and Gasoline, back in a Legacy GT!

Some of you may know that I used to own a 2008 Legacy GT Spec.B, likely 3 people know this. I featured that car frequently on my youtube channel: Gears and Gasoline. However, a few months ago I decided to sell the car as a means of forcing myself to get into something different and new. Once the car sold, I was set on buying an FD RX7. I even went out and test drove a few! However, I I kept finding myself with tabs open on my computer of Legacy GT for sale ads.

Here's a few pictures of my Spec.B:

31588498865_ef92e54979_z_d.jpg

31588503765_b5479ec1f3_z_d.jpg

31550924376_8918c05b17_z_d.jpg

31550933836_54f7ab4712_z_d.jpg

31119586715_e59638aca1_z_d.jpg

After a few months, I finally deciding on getting back into a Legacy GT. This is the Legacy GT that the beloved "Blackhole" was building. A few of you may know that he unfortunately passed away. I bought this car from his widow (very nice lady!) and it is now with me in Virginia, along with all of the spare parts that he had.

Here's a few cell phone pictures I took yesterday on my drive back:

32232431160_d923514eb7_z_d.jpg

32232436810_2582b401b0_z_d.jpg

31768246764_3dcef8951e_z_d.jpg

31768246014_139dcb0e18_z_d.jpg

32232434960_5b653912e3_z_d.jpg

The build is mostly done, and the notable parts that I'm aware of so far are: JDM bumpers all around (not in the pictures sorry), Built block with forged internals, cams, valve springs, etc. Not sure what turbo is on it but it appears to be stock frame. Front Mount intercooler, Top mount oil cooler, Stoptech ST40 front brakes, and subaru 2 pot rear (but I think there are brembos amongst the parts), JDM Bilstein STi coilovers, STI 6 speed, STI full interior (including rear seats!). He really went all out with this build!

I'm making this post because I want to make a commitment on here to finish this build for him. Kyle (Blackhole) was a VERY VERY smart guy, and I'm nowhere near as smart as he was. So I'm going to need the help of the community on here to finish this build. Right now from what I can tell, It needs a good bit of wiring to be done and the interior to be put back in place. All of the door latches don't work as well for some reason. Brakes aren't working (probably just a bleed), steering rack feels very loose (i'm assuming it's not bolted down and tightened up), no clutch pedal, and it will definitely need a tune. The engine is brand new with 0 miles, and it's been sitting for at least 2.5 years now.

I've got a long road ahead of me, but I plan to film all of the progress on my youtube channel, Gears and Gasoline. I would love any help and advice that you all can give me. I would also be more than happy to feed anyone who wants to come by and help with it here and there. I'm in central Virginia, about an hour south of Charlottesville.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated Too

maybe you will learn your lesson this time and not sell the GT.

Some of us have a disease and we can't let the Legacy go. I too owned a GT for a long time and I knew I needed to buy another car and stop the addiction but I didn't have the strength to let the first one go before I bought the new car. I knew that would be the wrong thing for me to do and keeping it would help with the transition. I did however buy another car. Now I have two Legacy GT's.

Some of us have a disease and we can't let the Legacy go. I too owned a GT for a long time and I knew I needed to buy another car and stop the addiction but I didn't have the strength to let the first one go before I bought the new car. I knew that would be the wrong thing for me to do and keeping it would help with the transition. I did however buy another car. Now I have two Legacy GT's.

Haha yeah, I'm stuck with them :) This is my Forth, forth gen Legacy GT now.

I'm glad that this went to someone that will finish on what was meant to be. I was never around for when Blackhole was posting but when I saw the for sale ad and the story with it I was hoping it would go to a good home. Looks like it did. Very much looking forward to your progression with it.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

I have that disease, I've owned my LGT for 11 yrs now, the longest I have ever owned a car. There's something special about these cars that can't be explained, it's that feel. I've told myself several times I'm going to buy a new car, but ended up dumping more money into the LGT to keep her happy. It's like a marriage, "in richer, for poorer, in sickness in health, to death do us part".

My wife's balls are delicious.

I'm glad that this went to someone that will finish on what was meant to be. I was never around for when Blackhole was posting but when I saw the for sale ad and the story with it I was hoping it would go to a good home. Looks like it did. Very much looking forward to your progression with it.

Thanks! I'm nervous about it because Blackhole was an extremely smart man with lots of connections. As I've been looking through the parts, I'm continually surprised at everything that's here. I'm still in research mode, but I'm positive I will need help from the community here once I dig in!

I have that disease, I've owned my LGT for 11 yrs now, the longest I have ever owned a car. There's something special about these cars that can't be explained, it's that feel. I've told myself several times I'm going to buy a new car, but ended up dumping more money into the LGT to keep her happy. It's like a marriage, "in richer, for poorer, in sickness in health, to death do us part".

Agree'd. The previous owner felt the same way. I've read countless posts where he's stated that he's going to keep the car for at least another decade after he gets it running and "The wagon build will be with me until the end of its life." I can only hope that I can do this build justice. It will certainly get a lot of screen time on my youtube channel.

• 1 month later...

Update: Here's a parts list of everything I've found so far!

Engine/Power:

Outfront Motorsports closed deck block

AE shortblock machining and assembly

MAP head studs

King XPG bearings

stock EJ25 nitrided crank

4032 - Mahle 8.5:1 pistons

Manley H-Tuff 15024-4 rods

11mm oil pump, shimmed and ported

Killer B oil pickup

Killer B oil pan

Killer B windage tray/baffle

ASF Machined and ported D25 heads

"+1mm Supertech In=nitrided, EX=inconel +GSC viton valve seals"

Manley valve springs + Ti retainers 26180

GSC S1 custom cams for asymmetrical head

unknown top mount oil cooler

AEM cold air intake

HKS hard turbo inlet

Perrin Equal Length header

Grimmspeed 3 port boost solenoid

HKS grounding straps

STI 1.3 bar cap

TGV's and 8mm Grimmspeed spacers

Racer X FMIC

Forge recirc BPV, yellow spring

MAPerformance 20G billet ball bearing turbo

Perrin EL coated, wrapped with DEI titanium wrap

Cobb up-pipe

Perrin, 1pc catted downpipe with extra 02 bung

3"-3.5" Y mid pipe

Deatschwerks 750cc top feed injectors

Boomba Racing fuel rail

DW65c 265lph fuel pump

Drivetrain:

DCCD controller

08 STI Transmission

06 Sti ear R180 differential

Suspension /Handling

JDM bilstein PSS coilovers

Spec.B front A-arms

Spec B rear control arms

Spec B rear upper links

Whiteline steering rack bushings

Whiteline LCA bushings F& R

Aluminum front control arms

Cobb 25mm front sway bar

ABP 22mm rear sway bar

Rear diff bushings

Brakes

Stoptech ST45 2X44mm calipers

332X32 two peice cross drilled slotted rotors

rear Rotora 2x40.5mm calipers

290mm rear rotors

new rear shoes and hardware

Interior

STI seats

JDM double din

GT Spec steering wheel

Exterior

Dual projector headlights

JDM front bumper

JDM rear bumper

JDM tinted taillights

JDM folding mirrors

tinted JDM rear taillights

• 3 months later...

This car is itching for a bigger turbo with the longblock setup it has - it will rev out to 8200+, id go rotated 35R and never look back :)

I've read into those OF Closed deck blocks, you just can't kill them. And you have a strong trans bolted to it, shoot for the moon!

Glad to hear this car went to a good home. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

This car is itching for a bigger turbo with the longblock setup it has - it will rev out to 8200+, id go rotated 35R and never look back :)

I've read into those OF Closed deck blocks, you just can't kill them. And you have a strong trans bolted to it, shoot for the moon!

Glad to hear this car went to a good home. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Yeah, I think I'd like it to stay pretty easy to drive around town. I think that's what the Previous owner was building it for and I'd like to continue down that path.

Yeah, I think I'd like it to stay pretty easy to drive around town. I think that's what the Previous owner was building it for and I'd like to continue down that path.

Dude. I wanted those wheels so bad lol. The closest style i can find to them are the Focal F04 wheels. Which is what ill end up getting to replace the xxr's. Looking forward to this build though!

Archived