LegacyGT.com

Can't find DIY for timing belt. Please help

First off, thanks for everyone's help! I've learned so much from everyone here already and I keep continuing to learn. With that said, I'm ready to try my hands at changing my timing belt.

My car is a 1997 outback with the 2.5l. I already know to get the gates kit, an oem water pump gasket. Anything else?

Now, what I can not seem to find is a DIY specific for my car. The closest I found is this one, which I like because it has big clear pictures!! I also have a Haynes manual for reference. The only problem is this link is for the 2.2l. Again, I have the 2.5l. Is the procedure much different?

http://lovehorsepower.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=64

Also, how do I know which idle tensioner I have without first tearing things apart? There seems to be confusion as to which year the one piece and 2 piece parts are used. My car is a 1997. Can I tell by VIN or manufacture date?

I've watched YouTube videos and found many threads with timing belt procedures by randomly reading through this forum, but everything I do a search for a complete DIY guide I found a gazillion threads that mention timing belt but not a specific DIY or the pictures are dark or just really bad explanations. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks again!

Should be two piece. Call dealer with vin to verify. The fsm gives you all you need to do this. Check the stickys above for fsm.

Only tip I have is use a clip of some type to hold belt onto driver's cam. Install toothed idler after belt is on and then the lower idler last.

You should check the oil pump screws for tightness. You'll need a new o ring for pump.

If doing water pump, use a metal gasket.

O.

My car is a 1997. Can I tell by VIN or manufacture date?
the dealer can,

call the parts department give them the VIN and ask for a price on the part,

and the part number.

> TIMING BELT ARTICLES <____________________________ > Timing Belt Pictures <

the 97 should be the old style, 2 piece, tensioner,

it could be the newer one but i doubt it.

they made several changes in 98, including the tensioner.

but double check.

the onpiece has to be compressed in a very specific manner.

but it is also recommended that it be replaced with every belt.

they age, get weak, and will let the belt jump.

the old style , 2 piece, the idler should be replaced,

but the piston does not need it unless it is leaking or non-functional.

it too needs to be compressed very slowly, but position does not matter.

picture of ej25 DOHC timing alignment marks below.

the procedure is the same as the ej22,

but there are 4 cams to line up.

that is the only difference.

notice 2 important things,

the arrows on the cams are NOT the correct timing marks,

and the key way slot in the crank is straight down when the crank is in the correct position.

good luck.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/johnceggleston/timingbeltdiagramej25.gif

Archived