LegacyGT.com

Winter Tires

Ok, I checked the Wheel / tire section of the forum, but didn't see much activity or topics to this regard. If it should be moved just let me know where.

I am getting a new set of winter tires, and expect highway miles in cold weather but not necessarily in the snow. I drive from Philadelphia up to VT / NH to ski. So the snow conditions aren't until the last 5-10% of the drive. (I also chase the storms if possible so driving in blizzard conditions is normal to me) Given that, I am leaning towards the LM blizzaks over the WS mainly so the WS doesn't get eaten up on the highway...

Is my logic sound or do you think I'd still be fine with the WS and get better snow traction while up in the mountains?

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

I just replaced the LM001's on the wagon with about 1/2 the tread left because I found them noisy. I now have WS80's on the wagon like the Spec B has. I bought them in the summer time when they were on sale.

Check Tirerack.com

I'll add, Michelin Pilot Aplin PA2's were amazing back in the day, (2006) they felt like the summer only's did in warm weather, amazing handling for a snow tire. Not sure if the PA4's will have that same grip.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I run Performance Snows on all my winter cars:

LGT gets:

Pirelli Sottozero 3 - 225/45/17

I also run the Michelin Alpin PA4s on my S4 - but unfortunately they are 18" + sizing only :mad:

Both tires will provide plenty of dry road grip and perform in snow:cool:

I ran the Sottozero 3s on the S4 previously - and had them in blizzard conditions multiple times (Both S4 and LGT) = No Concerns at all.:p:)

Edit: Tire Rack Ratings - Winter Tires

You'll see the Sottozero3s are the top rated with sizing that fits the Stock LGT 17" Wheel Sizing - the PA4s are a little better rated (but need 18") - and the other close tires (above and below) are older and only available in odd sizing.

Edited by grovlet

Are the LM’s supposed to hold up better on pavement as compared to the WS?

That is my assumption just because the LM is V speed rated where as the WS is H rated.

The new WS90 is better rated now than it was in the past, so that is what has me indecisive

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

I’ve only run the WS series and have had pretty good wear even though they are run here in Portland most of the time on pavement during the winter months, I hit the mountain a lot in the and since I’m not really ripping around I figured H rating was plenty and had read that the WS is better in actual snow than the LM series

I ran the LM28's for years going to VT every weekend for skiing. They are great in the snow. Have to think any decent snowtire will do fine on these cars.

As you say it's the small things your looking for.

From 1996 to 2005 I didn't run snowtires, but still drove to VT every winter weekend to ski. Used to run Michelin MXV4's on the Civic and the 98 and 00 GT wagons. Never really had problem with those cars in the snow and ice conditions.

Just remember its about getting there safely, not getting there first.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've been running Barum winters for the last 4 years, no complaints about them at all. Ontario winters can get a bit nasty. That being said, a cheap winter is better than any all season tire on the snow and ice. Stopping distance is the main difference!
08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

Oh man... Maybe I shoulda bought blizzaks instead of Michelin x-ice xi3

Anyone have experience with x-ice xi3s?

I'm planning to run those. There are a bunch of places that have done winter tire testing. Nokian is basically always best. Blizzak and x-ice trade for 2nd and 3rd. Haven't seen much about the new Blizzak and I can't remember why I settled on the x-ice. Likely conditions in utah.

Idk how cold it gets in Philly but my Michelin defender technically have the m+s needed to legal reasons. Because of the amount of snow we get I'm going to trade them out but maybe a "snow rated" all season would be better? Idk I don't ski the north east. Conditions are everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man... Maybe I shoulda bought blizzaks instead of Michelin x-ice xi3

Anyone have experience with x-ice xi3s?

I have them on my Volt and have been very pleased with them. I purchased them over the Blizzaks as reviews stated they hold up well on dry roads (they have a mileage warranty which is not common with winter tires), are more quiet, and performed equally with the Blizzaks under wintery conditions. I highly recommend them.

Edited by sunny5280

Thanks for the feedback guys. I looked over several online reviews and youtube clips and I'm feeling pretty confident in the x-ice line.

One of the selling points for me was greater traction on ice and mileage warranty as you mentioned

Be safe everyone

I've tried 8-9 different types of snow tires on my cars over the last decade and they've all been pretty great. I had a set of Hankook winters that didn't stop on a dime in the snow like some others, but they were all serviceable.

End of the day, having a dedicated summer/winter tire setup is well worth it regardless of which actual tire you go with.

Are the LM’s supposed to hold up better on pavement as compared to the WS?

Yes, I ran those the past few seasons and they feel pretty close to all season tires. However, I wasn't impressed with their braking and steering control in true snow conditions.

I previously had WS80s on my sentrs SE-R spec-v and loved them so I just picked up some WS90s for the legacy. They are supposed to have some stiffer tread blocks over the WS80, making them last an extra season. I opted to go with 205/50R17. It will be a bit narrower which is supposed to be better for snow and a bit taller for added cushion/protection. We'll see how it goes....

I've tried 8-9 different types of snow tires on my cars over the last decade and they've all been pretty great. I had a set of Hankook winters that didn't stop on a dime in the snow like some others, but they were all serviceable.

End of the day, having a dedicated summer/winter tire setup is well worth it regardless of which actual tire you go with.

I think this is the best advice right here. After reading review after review after review I came to the conclusion what is most important is having a true winter tire over which brand of winter tire. I could make arguments for each and every one but at the end of the day having a winter tire versus all season (not to mention summer...yikes!) is what wins the day.