LegacyGT.com

Noname 08 OBXT Rebuild Thread

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my stuff didn't want to cooperate so I didn't monitor during today's driving but at the end of the night managed to get it all to connect so I could pull my learning views. Everything is fine except my one fuel trim. I'm at just over 200 miles on the engine so far.

So this is pointing towards a vacuum leak correct? I looked around earlier and everything still looked attached, but it was dark out and I was using my phone flashlight.

4e1378048e8125bf40f509f1460b5364.jpg

I don't think that's necessarily a vacuum leak. Trims are pretty active in these cars, and you spend very little time in range B. It's typically active during warmup and right when you get going. So you could have picked up some added trim during warmup for some reason (AC compressor on to defrost during warmup?) and just haven't spent enough time in the range to adjust back down. I'd keep driving a bit more and keep an eye on it. If it gets worse and the other trims follow, then I'd start worrying about a leak.

Just asking, how does the car feel driving it ?

Don't over think this...

If you have doubt's send a log to Dave at CRYO and ask an expert. The small amount of cash that may cost will be worth it in the long run.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I don't think that's necessarily a vacuum leak. Trims are pretty active in these cars, and you spend very little time in range B. It's typically active during warmup and right when you get going. So you could have picked up some added trim during warmup for some reason (AC compressor on to defrost during warmup?) and just haven't spent enough time in the range to adjust back down. I'd keep driving a bit more and keep an eye on it. If it gets worse and the other trims follow, then I'd start worrying about a leak.

^+1.

Although it is still strange that your IAM is still at 0.5 after 200 miles. That's a lot of miles. Maybe IAM is still there because you have not gone into boost yet...

Don't over think this...

^+1 too!

FWIW, I gave my short block a little boost going down hills after a few miles. Nothing crazy but run it up to 5000rpm say in 1st gear.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Just asking, how does the car feel driving it ?

Don't over think this...

If you have doubt's send a log to Dave at CRYO and ask an expert. The small amount of cash that may cost will be worth it in the long run.

Unfortunately my cash reserves are about $100 right now haha. But overthinking things is what I do and I think my misinterpretation of info on the internet is where some of the worry comes from.

The car felt, rough, imo but driving last night without the computer I noticed some habits that I need to change from the civic that was introducing some roughness in my shifts so that helped a lot.

I also decided to drive to work this morning using just the seat heater and having the a/c off made a big difference. Everything is much smoother. I used a gates stretch belt, not the tensioner, so I don't think it is on too tight. Unless you can't just switch those over.... I wonder if my compressor is not in great shape. Any way to test those? In the past I just basically ignore them until they fail.

^+1.

Although it is still strange that your IAM is still at 0.5 after 200 miles. That's a lot of miles. Maybe IAM is still there because you have not gone into boost yet...

Yea I read they get reset to 0.5 when you do an ecu flash, which I did for the TGV. I was thinking it should have corrected by now but that would also makes sense.

I think if I can find another turbo subaru to drive, it'll help me a bunch. My comparisons are terrible. 12 years on a drive by cable inline 4 with the last 3 years it having a terrible exhaust leak. I've driven a cvt impreza but it's so dull that I don't remember it feeling like anything. I also wouldn't mind pushing some dealers used wrx around for a few minutes lol. I think I need a pre 14? And they stopped making the lgt in 12 or something like that.

Wait, you still have the A/C running this time of year...I'll cycle mine once a month or so this time of year but generally never use A/C unless humid summer time.

I'm not a big fan of the auto setting on the HVAC system. Long story from 2004 about that. Seems the service manager at the dealership back then felt the same way I did.

Hey the past couple day's I have been driving the wagon without the radio on, just so I can hear how the car sounds.

I think it is time to boost a little and see how she responds.

That's actually the plan after work. There's a real shallow canyon near here, max 3% grade, that should be good for keeping the load and rpm varied. Lots of sweeping turns and rolling hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait, you still have the A/C running this time of year...I'll cycle mine once a month or so this time of year but generally never use A/C unless humid summer time.

I'm not a big fan of the auto setting on the HVAC system. Long story from 2004 about that. Seems the service manager at the dealership back then felt the same way I did.

Hey the past couple day's I have been driving the wagon without the radio on, just so I can hear how the car sounds.

Mostly for defrosting. And I'm somewhere between cool and hot. Yea the auto settings are kinda weird but I'm hoping the dual zone is decent. Frequently I'm in shorts and a tank top and my lady friend is in jeans and two sweaters.

When I started it up I put it on full heat to help bleed the coolant. I noticed the compressor clutch turning on for maybe a minute and cutting off. But leather also makes me sweat so I think I turned it to a/c twice last night. Drove with the windows cracked and sunroof open some too. Eventually I'll get some really good seat covers. I even thought about switching the leather for cloth. But in Florida you just leave that a/c button on all the time. I've never thought to... not.

It DOES sound nice. I can understand the desire for a little more rumble. I'll be excited when I can really push it and hear it more.

Dual zone in these cars is not really that effective, morose a placebo.

Booo not cool. Well that's a shame. Oh well.

I did some more driving tonight. Got some misfires here and there but never more than a count of 1. Had various knock here and there but all looks to be low load. Learning view is looking better. I took two short logs running in 3rd gear out on some back roads. Got up to 7psi boost and 1.75 on the load and no knock or misfires. No CEL. I accidentally hit 13psi driving around the warehouse district and didn't realize I'd given it that much throttle. No issues from it though.

I think I'm feeling ok with everything. The learning view is also looking better. I think at this point I'm just gonna drive around and not worry about monitoring everything and just check the learning views as I go.

1913235336_learningview.png.c7f7c3908e3af8f188e936eec0c3a6db.png

OK yea that's what I thought. In also at elevation ~4300ft so I know my actual boost numbers might not be perfect.

Yea I feel a lot better seeing a change in the iam. I kept reading that it should recover quickly but it makes sense that it recovers quickly if it actually drive. Not putter around.

Well Saturday should be the next time I get to anything. Just looking at wheel colors and maybe doing something with the chrome on the grill....

Yea I found an image of someone who had black wheels and blacked the chrome and logo on the front with a qsm outback. It was too heavy. I think the uhhh snout on the hood is just so thick. I might just leave it as is.

Kinda like the sparco Terra wheels but the qsm is hard to match I feel like. I'm guessing the lgt hood and outback hood is different? The outline of the sedan grill is less dramatic.

There is a DIY I think about cutting cross bar out and using bondo to attach a wire mesh and painting it flat black.

I member from NH did mine years ago, then I looked around the web and found a GT emblem that I hold into the mesh with a couple of dabs of RTV.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=mesh+grill+in+a+subaru+legacy+gt&id=4092F680D1192B1020214C41FC72A912D97EAABD&FORM=IQFRBA

Edited by Max Capacity

Yea I'm just looking for projects I think. The sedan grill looks much better in mesh imo. And the pre facelift grill.

https://images.bonanzastatic.com/afu/images/e9bc/4ee1/1dd1_5434185469/outback08grillsample2.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20150908/f245f7b263428c273c9f5274417b0eae.jpg

Kinda like that second one but my car isn't black.

Interesting. Even the pre face lift. I suppose that shouldn't be surprising. It just throws me off cuz that big upper chrome piece is on the hood itself.158f0e39b17822931ebea41bc1fa27b6.jpg

I had just assumed it was different. I think my grill is lower. Flush with the top of the bumper. Looks like the sedan and pre facelift raise above it some.

The post face lift USDM outback hood is different than the post face lift legacy. As Max shows, the latter is the same as the pre face lift legacy/outback hood.

Fun fact: pre face lift has an aluminum hood. Even though the legacy post face lift looks the same as pre, not sure if it is aluminum.

conclusion: your hood is different than the rest of the 2005-2009 leg/ob club. So you're special :). Only USDM like that.

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong.

Interesting about the aluminum hood. The 08 obxt and 08 lgt share a part number on the hood on parts.subaru.com. However a lot of my stuff that I've pulled off is stamped somewhere as obk, which I assumed was meant to distinguish outback parts.

Maybe I'll just go for it though. Plasti dip just the chrome bits and see how it looks. Supposedly if you do it well, it comes off pretty easy.