LegacyGT.com

End of life considerations

Hey guys.

I've lurked on here for quite some time. Learned a ton and I owe lots to this community.

My 35th Anni just spun a rod bearing and is knocking something fierce. I already looked into a new engine. With parts and labor it just doesn't make sense for me at the moment. But if someone else can use her organs that's my preference.

She's been nothing but the best car. I know many others with these older ladies are probably going through the same problems I have recently as various components start to break down and you need to scavenge for parts. So I wanted to get a heat check on what to do now that life's probably run its course. Do people keep these around and part them out slowly (on ebay or CL)? Or just try to sell whole as a parts car? Just scrap? Or anywhere anyone can point me to.

Appreciate yall.

Well, if you take it to the scrapyard/used auto parts dealership it will actually be dismantled down to a list of usable organs that will eventually be sold to a needing recipient, right? =) If this makes you feel bad, put out an ad for a parts car, then you will meet the man who needs the organs.

In my recent experience the pickit yards only keep it around for a few weeks before they crush it. Only a tiny portion of it gets picked, the rest goes to waste. Maybe that is a regional thing near me.

Most people that part out sell the entire thing to someone who cares, or maybe they pull the engine and trans and sell those separate from the shell. Not many part the whole thing themselves. There is more money to be had with a complete part out, but there is also a lot more time and effort in it. Also, take into consideration if you can have a non-running car where you live.

Full disclosure, I have one that I bought for $400, engine and trans good, trouble with the front suspension that they were not able to resolve. It came with a salvage title, so I'm doing a full part out, mainly for myself to support my identical car, and it is taking a lot of time and nearly all my available space to store the parts.

Edited by doublechaz

I put a EJ20 in a 04 35th Anni. Since that car is DBW the ECU can be reprogrammed for the 2.0 Liter engine. Only issue was the single port header converted to the dual port.

I can sent you the open source tune for the EJ20 for that car if you wanted to do this.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ecuflash-2004-3rd-gen-dbw-wagon-136684.html?t=136684

I parted out my heavily modified 03 over the course of a year and a half. I ended up making about as much as selling a stock, running one, with some parts left over to go into my next subaru. I wouldn't recommend that route unless you know you have parts that people are willing to pay for, otherwise, BH/BE's sell for around $2500-4500 all day for decent, running example, so it may be better to just have it towed away for scrap value.

I put a EJ20 in a 04 35th Anni. Since that car is DBW the ECU can be reprogrammed for the 2.0 Liter engine...….

USDM didn't start DBW until 05.

If you have the space and time and it not being an eyesore then maybe. …

If you have a spouse, she'll get tired of that carcass in short order on her property.

O.

Edited by Osei
add