LegacyGT.com

Fuse #16 and #20 keep blowing

2006 Legacy GT. Fuse #16 (Illumination) and #20 (Cigarette Lighter)

I've been troubleshooting this issue, and i'm not sure where to turn next. I don't recall the cigarette lighter working since I purchased the car (4 years ago), and recently the red Illumination/radio backlights do not work. It's kind of a pain to change/see the radio buttons at night.

For the Cigarette lighter #20 -

The fuse will blow when the cigarette lighter does not have an accessory plugged in, and even when the assembly harness is unplugged.

Illumination #16 -

The fuse will blow the second I turn the headlight switch, even with the clock and radio assembly harness unplugged.

Any thoughts on where to go next? My guess is maybe a ground wire, but I'm a novice when it comes to wiring.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks for all the insight!

The previous owner did install a boost gauge in the cubby (circuit works fine, and illumation was not tapped into) so I ruled that out.

I did pull out the cubby/clock and radio, and all the wires seem tidy in the factory harnesses and no half ass wiring jobs seem to be in play.

The passenger side did have the airbag replaced for the Takata recall, is that something worth looking into?

Archived