LegacyGT.com

OEM Subaru remote starter problem and solution

Background:

Subaru OEM remote key fob starter system. Purchased new with new vehicle, installed same day before delivery. System virtues and negatives discussed at length here on the forums. Yawn.

Had no problems with it up until... that's right.... I did.

Symptom #1:

Remote start unit would fail to start the vehicle on the first attempt.

Start procedure:

Two presses of the button required, fob beeps once to acknowledge the request, beeps twice to confirm the vehicle started, light flashes every three seconds to verify vehicle still running.

Problem:

The unit would beep, then beep three more times telling the operator that the vehicle did not start and the attempt was aborted. The lights would flash and the horn would sound, acknowledging the vehicle got the request. It's been doing this on and off for a couple of months. A second command to start the vehicle usually resulted in the engine starting normally.

Symptom #2

About three weeks ago, along with the above, I started noticing the car's interior was not warm when I'd go out to the car and the engine was turned off, having never received the three beeps telling me the car had timed out and shut off. I could understand the car timing out but if it had, the interior should be warm and toasty.

Problem:

I began testing the unit and timing it to see if it was running for the programmed by default 15 minutes. And I found that it was not. Multiple tests determined that the unit would time out at random times anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes.

In an attempt to figure out why I went through the procedure to check and change the run time and found that it was set for 10 minutes, not 15, though I had never changed it. I reset it for 15 minutes and tested the unit. Shut off at 15 minutes. Second test, shut off at 3 minutes.

Through all of this I'd get various confusing beeps from the fob or sometimes, no beeps at all. No signals telling me the car shut off or telling me it shut off way to early. Sometimes not telling me the car started when I'm standing there, watching and listening to it start and run. I tried the spare, never before used fob to see if this was all a communication or fob battery problem. No change. The thing had a mind of it's own.

Solution:

I called the dealer and set an appointment to take it in. They checked it out and told me the "module box" needed to be replaced. what I heard was the remote starter system needs replaced.

Part ordered, will install Thursday. I'll report back.

I did an elementary search for posts about this problem but came up empty handed, maybe my searchfoo sucked. So I'm adding this to the community in case someone else has an OEM remote start system installed that's acting odd.

I've been having this issue since day 1. The car almost never starts on the first try with the remote. I've largely ignored it since I don't use the remote start very often but I'll definitely bring it up to the dealer now.

Went to dealer today. Long story short, they replaced the entire RS system.

A couple of points of interest they discovered, the build date of the RS module installed was January 2015. I bought the car and had the system installed in February 2016. The service writer told me he thought it was odd that the part was a year old when installed because at his dealership they go through a lot of them. Says no part they stock is likely more than a couple of months old.

I mused that maybe there's some sort of software issue that wasn't correct for the newer car, just talking out my yang but who knows.

Build date on the replacement is two months ago.

They also noted that the hood safety switch was "installed on the wrong side of it's bracket". He showed me the part and supposed that it looked like the hood may not have been pressing the switch just right. I couldn't see how it could be installed wrong and also imagine that if the switch wasn't working right that the remote system would never have worked right and would have aborted every attempt to use it, at the same time signaling there was a problem with the system.

Meh, again, who knows.

The entire system is replaced, under warranty, and working. I'm happy. Will use and report back only if there are problems.

most likely cold solder joints.. crack open module, heat gun it and then reassemble. Used to do this with older Honda main relays... works like a champ and you do not have to tear the car apart to replace the entire system. RoHS solder sucks an elephant nut as it has a tendency to crack and has more instances of cold solder joints than regular lead solder.

most likely cold solder joints.. crack open module, heat gun it and then reassemble. Used to do this with older Honda main relays... works like a champ and you do not have to tear the car apart to replace the entire system. RoHS solder sucks an elephant nut as it has a tendency to crack and has more instances of cold solder joints than regular lead solder.

What do you do when the module gets cold again?

:rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't resist.:lol:

What you say may be the problem but with the OEM starter, a large portion of the dash needs to come apart to get to it. It's scary looking, so much of my car was dismantled. May as well simply replace it and not risk there being some other anomaly that's causing the issue since it's so much work to get at it.

I didn't study the old module really close but it appeared that it may be potted. If so, that would put the kabosh on your idea, methinks.

it has to do with routing the antenna and other harnesses you need to plug into. I was slightly mistaken to the location as in the 6th gen they zip tie to the AT module instead of mounting it to the fuse panel like the 13/14 cars. but it is in the same general area (left of steering wheel)

I looked up an online PDF set of instructions and I believe your original statement is correct.

This module is one a big bracket gets bolted down. At least the one they took out of the car did. I assume the replacement was the same.

There's a relay panel under the dash, left of the steering column. That comes off and the bracket with the module mounts to the studs under it, then the relay panel is bolted back on. All harnesses are connected to in that area then one runs up the column to the ignition switch. Panels around the column, left side of dash, and under the dash come off.

Antenna wire is ran (still don't understand how the A pillar panel comes off) and the hood switch is mounted and hooked up to a harness that is preinstalled by the factory.

Looking at it I don't know why it take them so long to install but experience has told me to take however long I think something will take to do and double it as an estimate.

I had wondered what needed programmed but it looks as if they simply have to tell the car's computer to turn on the remote start feature.

• 4 weeks later...

Reporting in.

Since having the new system installed I've once again began having trouble with the system. Same as before, intermittently takes two requests to start the car. And then today after work, two requests to start the car followed by an abbreviated run time, I go out after about ten minutes and the car is not running and cold.

I've had it with the Subaru OEM remote starter. I'm going to complain to the dealer one more time and then try to get it refunded. Regardless, I have a date set to replace it with an aftermarket.

Kind of sad because I really like the OEM style plug and play, no cutting of wires. And the original worked fine all summer.

I installed the fortin evo one myself and love it especially with the 2 way remotes I added to it. I had some initial programming issues but that was on my part. Once programmed correctly not one issue.

The key start has a wiring harness that makes install a breeze but push to start has to be wired for everything (10 or so wires to tap and one to splice between) cost me 270 for the evo, flashlink updater, and remotes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I won't be installing the aftermarket unit myself, my days of crawling under vehicle dashes are over. The local Ziebart that I've done some business with installs Audiovox and Automate units. My GF and another family member each have units installed at Ziebart and they work perfectly so far.

Their schedule is swamped so my date isn't for nearly a month. So in the meantime I've contacted SOA to see what they recommend I do. The dealer can't duplicate the symptoms and I can't do without my car for days while they putz with it (unless they put me in another Legacy for a loaner) so asked SOA for advice. I told them of the symptoms, the action taken so far, and that if it cannot be diagnosed and corrected I'm going to ask for a refund of the unit and for it to be removed.

Sick of it. Nearly every aftermarket unit I've read about, people are happy as can be. I was happy with the Subaru OEM remote for a few months but now I wish I'd have went AM.

I've heard a lot of complaints with the oem one .at least the push to start version. I was gonna get it installed on mine but I'm cheap. Thats why I did mine myself. Felt very proud of myself but probably won't do it again

I've heard a lot of complaints with the oem one .at least the push to start version. I was gonna get it installed on mine but I'm cheap. Thats why I did mine myself. Felt very proud of myself but probably won't do it again

You are very brave for doing that yourself hahaha. Much Kudos!

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

After some back and forth SOA apologized for the problem and refunded me for the remote and install charges.

They asked a couple of questions, talked to the dealer a couple of times, then that was it. Refunded me and wanted me to let them know if I have any more work done to solve the issue.

Not much of a fix really but I can't complain about it much, it's now free.

I'll probably use the refund to have the unit removed and have an aftermarket unit installed.

I have been searching high and low for someone on one of these forums to be having a similar issue as my girlfriends 2016 Legacy.

She purchased a 2016 Legacy limited, had the OEM remote starter installed (500) installed. She got the car October 2016. It is now February 2nd 2017 they have replaced the system 3xs for being intermittent. It still doesn't work... you can try starting it being right next to the car or 100ft away it doesn't matter, it works when it wants to. We are absolutely fed up at this point and SOA has been nothing but a bunch of A Holes. Anyone have ideas what else it could be? They claim that there's nothing wrong with it? This has been a ongoing issue since October.

The OEM RS on my 2013 has been working perfectly since new. It came installed.

The only thing I hate is how opening any door shuts off the car.

So I actually try to use the remote start sparingly (really cold from sitting outside, and not wanting to leave the keys in it), as I think about the benefits vs the risks of doubling the use of the starter and starting load on the battery.

My wife's OEM Honda RS lets you open the doors with the car running and place the key in the ignition and turn on the ignition, and drive the car without any shutdown.

If Honda can do it, I don't know why Subaru can't. (touching the brake pedal without the key in the ign kills the engine as well)

I'd like to hear how the aftermarket RS looks and works...

The OEM RS on my 2013 has been working perfectly since new. It came installed.

The only thing I hate is how opening any door shuts off the car.

So I actually try to use the remote start sparingly (really cold from sitting outside, and not wanting to leave the keys in it), as I think about the benefits vs the risks of doubling the use of the starter and starting load on the battery.

My wife's OEM Honda RS lets you open the doors with the car running and place the key in the ignition and turn on the ignition, and drive the car without any shutdown.

If Honda can do it, I don't know why Subaru can't. (touching the brake pedal without the key in the ign kills the engine as well)

I'd like to hear how the aftermarket RS looks and works...

Here's the takeover sequence with my iDatastart system:

I unlock with the keyless access handle touchpad, get in, close the door, wait til I hear the steering wheel lock release indicating the proximity key has been recognized. Then put my foot on the brake, some relays click, put in gear and off I go.

Done some digging/inquiring. This will be my last contribution to this thread, do with the info what you like.

I cannot divulge where this information comes from, all I can do is pass it along. One can trust or not, readers choice.

I've learned that the Subaru OEM remote start key start systems are thought of as "junk" by people within Subaru. The best advice I've been given is to remove it and install an aftermarket. That's been my plan anyway.

Again, you be the judge. In spite of my past support for the OEM starter I'm changing my recommendation to advise people wanting the Subaru brand remote starter for the key start system to avoid at all costs and go aftermarket from a reputable installer.

Just keep in mind if you ever trade your car in when it's still within the warranty they must remove the aftermarket remote start and may charge you to do so. I have an aftermarket and they wanted to do that with mine. I chose to keep my car but I too still recommend an aftermarket system...whichever brand you like.

Archived