LegacyGT.com

Legacy vs Accord vs Sonata

AMA904

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the 2015 Legacy Limited vs 2014/2015 Honda Accord EX-L vs 2015 Hyundai Sonata. I live in Florida so AWD isn't necessarily a plus here. I've test driven all three and liked all three for different reasons, but I like to hear other people's opinions as well. I'm not a car guy per say so I figure those of you who are would have a lot more insight.

My main criteria in no particular order would be safety, reliability, comfort (quiet ride), gas mileage, and overall maintenance costs. We do keep cars for a while so resale value isn't as much of a factor.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Subarus will give you a lower center a gravity because of the boxer engine (horizontal). Also its MPG is great and its AWD. AWD provides for a much more enjoyable ride on turns and will perform better in the rain down in FL for sure. On top of that, they are pretty easy/cheap to fix since it's positioning.

I hate hyundais personally I would never buy one.

2017 Subaru STI

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i limited

Subarus will give you a lower center a gravity because of the boxer engine (horizontal). Also its MPG is great and its AWD. AWD provides for a much more enjoyable ride on turns and will perform better in the rain down in FL for sure. On top of that, they are pretty easy/cheap to fix since it's positioning.

I hate hyundais personally I would never buy one.

Are the Subaru's still having the head gasket issues? Are there increased maintenance costs of an AWD vs FWD vehicle?

Well... you did come to a Legacy site so I think I know where your heart is. ;)

We all love these for different reasons (this site being mostly due to performance reasons) so in the end I hate to say it but it's all up to you. You say you're not a car guy per say, but do you care about styling, driving fun factor, percieved status, etc? What makes you excited about a car? You drove them all so what does your instinct say right now? :)

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Well... you did come to a Legacy site so I think I know where your heart is. ;)

We all love these for different reasons (this site being mostly due to performance reasons) so in the end I hate to say it but it's all up to you. You say you're not a car guy per say, but do you care about styling, driving fun factor, percieved status, etc? What makes you excited about a car? You drove them all so what does your instinct say right now? :)

The Hyundai had ventilated seats which were amazing, but besides that it would be very close between the Accord & the Legacy. My ideal car is safe, quiet, comfortable, and good gas mileage. I think they are very close in that aspect, but I've read and been told by my auto shop that Subaru's are definitely more costly for repair and maintenance.

I went look the Accord is very downgrade from previous gen and vs the Legacy.

The Accord's interior door panel feels cheap and some weird lining and gaps.

They still use old school trunk hinge? lol, I remember this back in the 90s, also the hood is not using shock like older older gen. Trunk opening to rear seat is small, spare tire are no usually storage like the legacy.

I did see the new Sonata on the street two days ago, it indeed looks nice, the front end look a bit like the Legacy.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

The Hyundai had ventilated seats which were amazing, but besides that it would be very close between the Accord & the Legacy. My ideal car is safe, quiet, comfortable, and good gas mileage. I think they are very close in that aspect, but I've read and been told by my auto shop that Subaru's are definitely more costly for repair and maintenance.

You said you keep your cars for a long time. How long in miles though? That's the key here for determining what the gap would be in mainenance repair costs. Most sites like Edmunds/KBB reveal general estimates on ownership costs. While just a guesstimate, it might show you how close they are depending on the mileage you accumulate.

For Safety, it's Subaru bar none essentially. However, it's not like Honda is unsafe. I don't think this will matter honestly as both are very advanced.

Quiet and comfortable, that's all you. You have to decide. Same with MPG, read up on real world mileage and go from there.

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

My main criteria in no particular order would be safety, reliability, comfort (quiet ride), gas mileage, and overall maintenance costs. We do keep cars for a while so resale value isn't as much of a factor.

Most likely will be Subaru in all of your criteria, I drove honda for 12yrs. Don't feel safe with FWD, when it rains hard and snowing my hearts almost fell off so many times. Where Subaru I get excited when I see snow and heavy rains. Although one negative about the 15' Subaru so far I found it's uncomfortable how useless the door/center console arm rest doesn't helps, it's not at the right height or not close enough to support your arm weight. So I have to change my hand and rest the other ever 5-10mins drive. Wrist really hurts due to lack support. I don't have this problem on any previous cars, and I haven't had and trip exceed 1hr long yet.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

If I was buying a new car between those Subaru > Honda > Hyundai However I live in the Northeast with snow. I would probably buy the Honda over the Subaru if I lived in FL. IMO Subaru is the safest of those, Honda is probably going to be a little more reliable, get more mpg, and be faster (less driveline loss than the AWD Subaru). Hyundai is a very distant 3rd.

If I lived in Florida I would get the Accord all day long. The 4 cyl Accord in manual is a great car, with the best track record.

If you want to be different, get the Legacy. You won't see eleventy billion of them on the road like you will and Accord or Sonata.

The new Sonata has some handsome styling though, not as swoopy and eye-catching as the last Gen, but more mature.

Shit, I don't know what to tell you. Those are all good choices, and are on my list for next car. I'm adding in Mazda6, Passat, Fusion, and *gasp* the Malibu and Impala as well, because I think they look good, even if they are a GM product.

If I really want to complete my family's redneck transformation and complement the wife's 2012 Grand caravan, I might test the Charger too, as it's got a new style coming, and is a huge sedan. But the car will disintegrate around the robust engine over a few years, like all Dodges do.

But I think I will stick with Honda or Mazda or Subaru.

A bit of rain isn't going to show off what the AWD is capable of. Honda's suspension set ups have always been responsive, comfortable, and fun compared to some of their competitors despite sticking to FWD in their passenger cars. More drive wheels will mean more possible maintenance issues down the road.

The Subaru will be more unique and will give a sense of solidity with its drive train, build quality, and interior compared to the other two. However, all three will under-steer when pushed anyway.

Lots of reviewers say the Legacy styling is Bland, but i think its the nicest of the three. Honda accords are so common they are almost invisible. I despise that black plastic square on the front of the Hyundai Grille. (I think the radar is behind it?) But IMO it looks horrible. You can't go wrong with the Legacy's safety record, and the cabin is just so darn nice...The options on my Limited, including eyesight would be around 42-45k on a Mercedes (CLA) small Audi or Bmw... those cars come with almost no options and are priced higher than a fully loaded legacy limited 2.5. I think its an incredible car for the price. I honestly think you would be ok with any of the three... Drive all of them, and decide whats important as far as options and safety, and the choice will probably be very clear at that point. Also, the Legacy looks better in real life, vs pictures, and better on the highway, than sitting in the lot at the dealership. Ive also seen a thread or two that said Subaru dealers in Florida are offering 2 years of free maintenance as a selling perk.

From a fellow Floridian I will tell all the others on here, saying Florida gets a little rain is the understatement of the year. When it rains here it rains hard, personally I love my awd in the rain much more stable and responsive than fwd. Most new cars rate pretty well in safety, Subaru has been rating among the best for awhile now though.

As for maintenance costs you do have to change the fluid on the rear diff so that is like $20 extra every 2 years...other than that tires need to be rotated regularly and you can't just buy two new tires and call it good.

For me I absolutely love not having to park next to a clone of my car everywhere I go. There are a handful of Legacys in my area if that. Hondas and Hyundais on the other hand I passed about 30 of each going to the gym 8 minutes away.

I live next to florida, when it rains around this area you can go from 50-60mph on hwy and slow down to 5mph or stopped until rain lighten up.

When we bought my wife's car, we had worked very closely with a local Honda dealership and almost bought a CR-V, but we liked the Mazda a little more and the financing was better. I emailed our salesperson yesterday to see if they were clearing out the 2014 Accords and sure enough they were. I was going to wait, but I couldn't pass up the price/financing. The Legacy is a great car, but I came home last night in my new Accord. Thanks everyone for the input.

My three on the list was CLA250 4Matic, Lexus IS250. Test drive all, but end up with the legacy. I did went look at the accord and Mazda to see the build quality to compare which was a bit disappointing downgrade and Didn't bother to test drive since its a FWD.

When we bought my wife's car, we had worked very closely with a local Honda dealership and almost bought a CR-V, but we liked the Mazda a little more and the financing was better. I emailed our salesperson yesterday to see if they were clearing out the 2014 Accords and sure enough they were. I was going to wait, but I couldn't pass up the price/financing. The Legacy is a great car, but I came home last night in my new Accord. Thanks everyone for the input.

And you chose correctly! No need for the Legacy's maintenance costs over the life of the vehicle in FL. I love the '14 Accords very clean lines and its a Honda, enjoy:)

Archived