LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

I Searched pretty extensively, and it seems like 215/60/17 is the biggest you can go without a lift.. We have weird sized wheel wells which are really more designed for a legacy. I ended up getting stock sized tires.

That... Doesn't sound right. That's nearly stock sizing.

Just went digging for my old thread where shralp said his summer wheels were 235/50r18 on stock height with no rub. Said it was getting a little tight front and rear but had about 3/4" on each side. That's a diameter of 27.25" tire.

Edited by Nonamedude

Well it was about about 4months ago I sold my LLBean. The wagon life called me back though, so I picked this up about 3weeks ago. Handles and drives like new. Pretty much every bit of it redone in the last 10k. Making a great daily so far. Not an outback however. No huge plans for it, although a blitzen replica would be pretty sweet22ca4ba4c2667f440e9563ef13369fc4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Which engine? H6 or H4?

Forgot to 'report' that last week, I changed a couple of seals on the steering rack valve steering gear box. It was leaking real bad. So far, it's look OK now.

IMG_20201003_151613.thumb.jpg.360bfc3a9a85bd17b6994233116fb57f.jpg

IMG_20201003_161808.thumb.jpg.76033ae0f0bb2fc3c85185a927c5bfbc.jpg

IMG_20201003_174944.thumb.jpg.774459e65e12900b0e89364983feb4b0.jpg

Edited by xt2005bonbon

Just the 4cyl and the good ol 4eat slushbox. Which I actually like for some reason. I had an 05 too and didn't mind that one. Crazily enough my buddy snapped me a pic of one early the other morning, then I just so happened to pass it omw home [emoji38] . Never saw one before, didn't know it was even a thing. Only have seen 2 red 2000 sedans, and 1 wagon. Rio Red isnt the most common color. As much as I wanted a garent red pearl 4thgen they were either too beat up or over my budget. Got this for a solid deal north of Seattle and drove back to Boise.2c4672b3afe9fc0667d67c5197f53e92.jpgc8271c9ac085d237535fa97520626ccd.jpg

Got a flat fixed and then an alignment.

Alignment shop gave me a list of things they wanted to do, like front LCAs, valve cover gaskets, new spark plug boots, etc., Etc. (firestone). They want $450 each for new LCAs, so i guess that gives me the go ahead to get some used spec b aluminum ones and have some new rubber installed. Gotta be cheaper than that...

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Just the 4cyl and the good ol 4eat slushbox. Which I actually like for some reason. I had an 05 too and didn't mind that one. Crazily enough my buddy snapped me a pic of one early the other morning, then I just so happened to pass it omw home [emoji38] . Never saw one before, didn't know it was even a thing. Only have seen 2 red 2000 sedans, and 1 wagon. Rio Red isnt the most common color. As much as I wanted a garent red pearl 4thgen they were either too beat up or over my budget. Got this for a solid deal north of Seattle and drove back to Boise.2c4672b3afe9fc0667d67c5197f53e92.jpgc8271c9ac085d237535fa97520626ccd.jpg

I actually don't recall seeing this color before. Pretty unique.

Got a flat fixed and then an alignment.

Alignment shop gave me a list of things they wanted to do, like front LCAs, valve cover gaskets, new spark plug boots, etc., Etc. (firestone). They want $450 each for new LCAs, so i guess that gives me the go ahead to get some used spec b aluminum ones and have some new rubber installed. Gotta be cheaper than that...

spark plug boots? :confused:

Lol, yeah. $21 each for the boots, $45 each for spark plugs and another $110 to "tune" my electronic ignition.

Makes me wonder if i can trust them to do an alignment. I wil say that i had extra wear on the outside edge of my front tires, but the "before" alignment didn't show any out of spec camber.

Oi vey. Who can you trust anymore?

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

One thing to keep in mind about tire wear and alignment specs - I just wore through the inner edges of the rear tires on one of my other cars and the alignment is in spec. The thing that ate the tires was doing a 1000 mile road trip (each way) with the car loaded up. So under load, the toe changes and wears the tires differently than when the car is static and unloaded on an alignment rack.

One thing to keep in mind about tire wear and alignment specs - I just wore through the inner edges of the rear tires on one of my other cars and the alignment is in spec. The thing that ate the tires was doing a 1000 mile road trip (each way) with the car loaded up. So under load' date=' the toe changes and wears the tires differently than when the car is static and unloaded on an alignment rack.[/quote']

Yea I need to check the tires on the rear and maybe rotate them early after my towing adventures.

How much weight did you have in the back? I thought at stock height your alignment was supposed to be done with a full tank and 200lbs in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it was my other car. It wasn't too much weight, but it's a Jaguar. Maybe in the neighborhood of 300 lbs, but it was in the back of the trunk, behind the rear axles. Enough for the rear to be visibly sagging a little bit. And the tires were pretty used up before the trip. After the trip, the cords are now showing on the inner edges.

One thing to keep in mind about tire wear and alignment specs - I just wore through the inner edges of the rear tires on one of my other cars and the alignment is in spec. The thing that ate the tires was doing a 1000 mile road trip (each way) with the car loaded up. So under load' date=' the toe changes and wears the tires differently than when the car is static and unloaded on an alignment rack.[/quote']

Tell me about it! :mad:

On our last cross-country trip (MD to UT), I had to do an 'emergency' alignment as I noticed that not only the tire wear in the rear was excessive (on brand new Yokohama tires), but also the Whiteline rear toe/camber arms loosened on one side (yet again). See pic.

Car was seriously loaded (once again). I have 400 lb/in spring rate in the rear. Will install 500 lb/in Eibach very soon. I have them on my shelf.

So obviously, I will have to redo the alignment yet again since most of these stuff is off the vehicle now.

IMG_20200708_152916.thumb.jpg.122edce50c1f2490b7f9c9aab67603bf.jpg

IMG_20200708_152541.thumb.jpg.47e894a91f2ceae5bc3fcc4a8bb5fd3e.jpg

Edited by xt2005bonbon

Yall got me nervous so I laid down and checked mine. They look well enough. The rear was sagging quite a bit, I'd guess idk 300 on the hitch and maybe another hundred ish in the rear. They are long life all seasons though so maybe it's just not as noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the fenders are a bit rough, but better shape than what I had. I'm going to retain my plastic bits- it looks like they will fit.

I found this walk-through from bbjones121 I was going to follow- but if you have a better one I won't mind looking at it.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/jdm-hid-headlight-conversion-walkthrough-113094.html

Still debating on painting the innards black. I have Diode Dynamics switchbacks so the cleared JDM lens would look good either way. I do have to wet sand and clear coat the lenses too.

Hood was supposed to be here Friday, but now delayed till Monday. Not a big deal as I am not only working all weekend but I also have a wedding to attend Saturday night.

JDM headlights are supremely easy to open. You should definitely flip the shields.

IIRC the brackets on the lamps, bumpers, and fenders are different (and not interchangeable) from USDM to JDM and JDM to USDM. YMMV