LegacyGT.com

cvt transmission replacement

I took it to a mechanic and they thought it was a wheel bearing at first but put it on a lift and said the transmission is what is making the bad noises. I guess I've learned that getting it on a lift and running it is recommended, if you're having similar issues this will help pinpoint the issue being that remanufactured tranny is $6k. Also I think changing the tranny fluid at good intervals like every 25,000 at least will keep it healthy for anyone who's car is still lower miles. I'm suspicious that these cvts weak point is hot climite and mix that with old fluid they degrade and I think that's where i messed up.

I took it to a mechanic and they thought it was a wheel bearing at first but put it on a lift and said the transmission is what is making the bad noises. I guess I've learned that getting it on a lift and running it is recommended, if you're having similar issues this will help pinpoint the issue being that remanufactured tranny is $6k. Also I think changing the tranny fluid at good intervals like every 25,000 at least will keep it healthy for anyone who's car is still lower miles. I'm suspicious that these cvts weak point is hot climite and mix that with old fluid they degrade and I think that's where i messed up.

At least your willing to admit you may have made a mistake, most people just play the blame game. I had the benefit of reading and following nearly 10 years of history on the CVT before deciding to purchase the Ascent with one in it. But our dealer gave a lifetime warranty on the powertrain so long as maintenance is documented, which with the MySubaru app is very easy to do.

Oddly enough, I just slipped into the seat of a new to us 2012 legacy. It has a trans problem as well that wasn’t disclosed when buying the car from the po. At a low speed, like as your coming to a stop or pulling into a parking space it shutters, and sometimes will stall. But it has an odd noise like the original poster is talking about with the wine noise. I haven’t looked into the issue yet but was trying to pre plan by reading through here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oddly enough, I just slipped into the seat of a new to us 2012 legacy. It has a trans problem as well that wasn’t disclosed when buying the car from the po. At a low speed, like as your coming to a stop or pulling into a parking space it shutters, and sometimes will stall. But it has an odd noise like the original poster is talking about with the wine noise. I haven’t looked into the issue yet but was trying to pre plan by reading through here.

I recall the 2010 and maybe 2011 were susceptible to an issue with needle bearings in the torque converter causing stalling when coming to an abrupt stop. Subaru addressed all CVT concerns with a ~10/100 warranty, so if you’re under 100k miles head to a dealer. If you’re over but close to that mileage maybe you could get some goodwill $ assistance from SOA.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/stalling-issue-confirmed-259595.html?t=259595

I recall the 2010 and maybe 2011 were susceptible to an issue with needle bearings in the torque converter causing stalling when coming to an abrupt stop. Subaru addressed all CVT concerns with a ~10/100 warranty, so if you’re under 100k miles head to a dealer. If you’re over but close to that mileage maybe you could get some goodwill $ assistance from SOA.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/stalling-issue-confirmed-259595.html?t=259595

I had contacted the Subaru dealer today and spoke with them. After running the vin number they said that it was still covered and that the warranty was good until 2022 with no mileage restriction. Should I double check with a different dealership to make sure he wasn’t smokin some crazy stuff?

Should I double check with a different dealership to make sure he wasn’t smokin some crazy stuff?

If I were you, I would take your car into that dealer ASAP and have them do the repairs free of charge (under warranty). The warranty is probably 10 years/100,000 miles (whichever comes first) and started when the first owners bought the car. How many miles does your car have?

Edited by Alexmed2002

If I were you, I would take your car into that dealer ASAP and have them do the repairs free of charge (under warranty). The warranty is probably 10 years/100,000 miles (whichever comes first) and started when the first owners bought the car. How many miles does your car have?

It’s got 170k [emoji1787] but runs and drives fantastic, I’m the second owner of it

It’s got 170k [emoji1787] but runs and drives fantastic, I’m the second owner of it

And they said there was no mileage restriction? If there's no mileage restriction, then I would be getting it fixed as soon as I could lmao.

Yea idk. That’s what the guy at Romano Subaru had told me. After vacation we’re going to take it down, but before I do I think I’m going to have him say it again so I can record him saying it lol. Sounds like from what you guys are saying he may have misspoke.

Yea idk. That’s what the guy at Romano Subaru had told me. After vacation we’re going to take it down, but before I do I think I’m going to have him say it again so I can record him saying it lol. Sounds like from what you guys are saying he may have misspoke.

Thats probably not the best way to get help, and recording that conversation will mean nothing anyway its not a legally binding contract, especially if you illegally record it.

Thats probably not the best way to get help, and recording that conversation will mean nothing anyway its not a legally binding contract, especially if you illegally record it.

Record wasn’t literally speaking, but yes agreed in writing would be best.

Soo... after calling and talking to a different guy, was informed that the warranty is only for up to 100k and will expire in 2022. The guy I first talked to apparently had messed a few things up there at the service desk and the guy I had spoken to wasn’t so happy about that. He also said that Subaru should’ve covered them no matter what but gave his apologies for not being able to help. 8k is what a new trans with them installing it would be. One hell of an ouch lol. I’ve done some internet digging and found a couple repo insurance yards that part out cars that have a few trans with low mileage. Figure if I could grab the vin and run it with the Subaru service and see if it was worked on within the recall I should probably go that route

Soo... after calling and talking to a different guy, was informed that the warranty is only for up to 100k and will expire in 2022. The guy I first talked to apparently had messed a few things up there at the service desk and the guy I had spoken to wasn’t so happy about that. He also said that Subaru should’ve covered them no matter what but gave his apologies for not being able to help. 8k is what a new trans with them installing it would be. One hell of an ouch lol. I’ve done some internet digging and found a couple repo insurance yards that part out cars that have a few trans with low mileage. Figure if I could grab the vin and run it with the Subaru service and see if it was worked on within the recall I should probably go that route

$8k????? Wowza! I wouldn't gamble on a used CVT, even with low mileage. That's still gonna cost at least $2k-$3k just for installation...

$8k????? Wowza! I wouldn't gamble on a used CVT, even with low mileage. That's still gonna cost at least $2k-$3k just for installation...

$8k is new with installation. I don't think it will be $3k to install a transmission in 5th Gen, that is like 24 hours of labor.

Yeah the mechanic that cecked my car said he replaced a number of used cvts and some of them only lasted like 6 months. But if you can find an independent mechanic some can swap it for much lower than dealer cost.