LegacyGT.com

Hope it's not totaled

Son hit a deer this morning. These aren't worth a ton right not, so I hope insurance doesn't total it.

Did the head gaskets this summer and new tires a month ago. Ir was supposed to be handed down to my daughter this fall when he goes to college.

picture.php?albumid=2778&pictureid=12568

Edited by TwoTone
remove tag

Sorry to hear. The radiator support looks to be damaged and is welded in. Hopefully it isn't totaled but it could be close.

On the flip side if it is totaled, you could always buy another one. It is nice to have a car that you know the service and maintenance history of, but they aren't that hard to maintain. As long as the oil was changed regularly, it is probably isn't the end of the world to catch up on a 100k mile or so vehicle.

Sorry to hear. The radiator support looks to be damaged and is welded in. Hopefully it isn't totaled but it could be close.

On the flip side if it is totaled, you could always buy another one. It is nice to have a car that you know the service and maintenance history of, but they aren't that hard to maintain. As long as the oil was changed regularly, it is probably isn't the end of the world to catch up on a 100k mile or so vehicle.

yea, but for the prices I'm seeing, I'll need a T-belt job and the ? on head gaskets. Depending on what they come back with, I may just buy it back and have the work done if they total it. Car is staying in family until it dies, so I don't care about a salvage title.

Ouch! I'd start the search for the new auto now, just based on that radiator damage. Unless the hood missed the upper serpentine assembly (looks like a no) then that's a loss...

And for the future, always look around. It's better to save some cars to look at in case something like this were to ever happen again.

The good:

-Fenders look untouched

-Car is older, lots of aftermarket/used parts available from a body shop perspective, so the repair may not cost as much as you'd think like it would for a newer car

The bad:

-As stated above, radiator core support. That's a big one there.

-Looks like some damage to the condenser, if it is bent youre looking at $500 or so just in terms of AC work. Insurance company will write up a used AC condenser around 50 bucks, then evac, recharge, and labor associated with remove and replace.

I think it may be close but I think they will total it unfortunately. I am a claims adjuster, I deal with this stuff daily. My advice would be to CLEAN the interior really well asap before someone comes out to take a look at it. Interior is graded based on carpets, seats, headliner, and dashboard. Most of the time they will just take photos of the driver's carpet and the driver's seat, so make sure to scrub out any salt stains in the carpet and such. Half an hour of cleaning can net you hundreds more. The condition adjustments can make significant changes in your settlement. Additionally, gather up any and all receipts of work you've put into it recently (recently being within the last 2 years or so). Make sure your adjuster gets all of that and they "should" take it into considerations. Additionally, never accept the total loss settlement without asking for and reviewing the market valuation report first.

If you have any questions about it, shoot me a PM. I'd even be willing to look over the valuation and make sure everything is fair in my opinion before you accept a payout. Who is your insurance company?

Sorry to hear about that. Was your son ok?

Son is fine, scared the shit out of him though.

The good:

-Fenders look untouched

-Car is older, lots of aftermarket/used parts available from a body shop perspective, so the repair may not cost as much as you'd think like it would for a newer car

The bad:

-As stated above, radiator core support. That's a big one there.

-Looks like some damage to the condenser, if it is bent youre looking at $500 or so just in terms of AC work. Insurance company will write up a used AC condenser around 50 bucks, then evac, recharge, and labor associated with remove and replace.

I think it may be close but I think they will total it unfortunately. I am a claims adjuster, I deal with this stuff daily. My advice would be to CLEAN the interior really well asap before someone comes out to take a look at it. Interior is graded based on carpets, seats, headliner, and dashboard. Most of the time they will just take photos of the driver's carpet and the driver's seat, so make sure to scrub out any salt stains in the carpet and such. Half an hour of cleaning can net you hundreds more. The condition adjustments can make significant changes in your settlement. Additionally, gather up any and all receipts of work you've put into it recently (recently being within the last 2 years or so). Make sure your adjuster gets all of that and they "should" take it into considerations. Additionally, never accept the total loss settlement without asking for and reviewing the market valuation report first.

If you have any questions about it, shoot me a PM. I'd even be willing to look over the valuation and make sure everything is fair in my opinion before you accept a payout. Who is your insurance company?

We talked to our agent, her husband used to be an adjuster and said the same thing. Since the t-belt, wp and idlers were done last dec and the head gaskets this summer, he said is a good chance it might not.

Already have a bunch of cars on the list in case it is.

Just wondering, I know this is the 5th gen section,but I found a clean 2008 OB XT manual, what do I look for with the 4th gen turbos?

Edited by TwoTone

Timing Belt should be really easy to do with a 2.5i while doing the front support. Pretty much remove the serpentine belt, crank pulley and timing covers, then just doing the timing belt, tensioner, idlers and water pump....

I think you misunderstood, for blue book value of ours, all I'm finding are vehicles that still need t-belts done and ? history as far as head gaskets.

Since all that has been done recently to ours, it sucks because we'd be out a ton if it's totaled.

We talked to our agent, her husband used to be an adjuster and said the same thing. Since the t-belt, wp and idlers were done last dec and the head gaskets this summer, he said is a good chance it might not.

Just wondering, I know this is the 5th gen section,but I found a clean 2008 OB XT manual, what do I look for with the 4th gen turbos?

I would get a 13-14 3.6r

Have a dealer or shop do a thorough ppi to include a leak down test. Check for excessive oil in the intercooler, banjo bolt filters have been replaced/removed. Then just general condition of the body/interior.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think you misunderstood, for blue book value of ours, all I'm finding are vehicles that still need t-belts done and ? history as far as head gaskets.

Since all that has been done recently to ours, it sucks because we'd be out a ton if it's totaled.

Ah I understand. Headgaskets aren’t that common on the 2010-12 models because Subaru changed to MLS gaskets.

I found a clean 2008 OB XT manual, what do I look for with the 4th gen turbos?

Personally I would leave the 2005-2009 turbo Legacy/Outback models to the enthusiast who don’t mind replacing the motor. In addition to the turbo EJ25 issue, that generation often has turbo failures that take out the engine.

Personally I would leave the 2005-2009 turbo Legacy/Outback models to the enthusiast who don’t mind replacing the motor. In addition to the turbo EJ25 issue, that generation often has turbo failures that take out the engine.

Both turbo issues I believe were resolved in 2007, the banjo bolt filters and the cat in the uppipe.

I don't see that car being totaled. Aftermarket parts for these cars are pretty cheap. The guy that owns the garage I work at owns a body shop too, and the guy I work with got an 11 legacy base model(I think cause he liked mine, lol) Anyways he priced out a hood with a scoop and it was only $120 through the body shops parts supplier. If the bags didn't blow you should be in good shape

2007-09 GT & XT are blowing turbo’s too.

I am sure they are, but not for a manufacturing or reliability reason. Maintenance and tuning is the key to longevity of these cars, they are quite old now. Journal bearing turbos do have a lifespan directly proportional to how they are maintained. IMO the packaging of the side-mounted turbo did not do it any favors for reliability.

Then you should go back further, the early turbos were failing in the warranty period, sometimes multiple times. And many of the failures were on completely stock vehicles following recommended maintenance schedules. This was before synthetic oil and shorter OCIs were mandated for turbo engines.

And all of that is why I recommended a thorough ppi.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

No medical bills, more driving experience learned, make some lemonade (or venison stew) from what life has thrown at you and we look forward to seeing what you get next.

But ya it still SUCKS :spin:

Edited by DugsSin

FYI- to update everyone it's totaled.

Sucks after all the money we recently put in.

did you show them all of the work done to the car?.... sorry to hear it is totaled but it is a 10 year old car and the fix to value is not favorable.

one option is you could buy it back and then fix it.