LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 2nd Generation Subaru today? - V3

It's too bad all that fell to you, but if you don't live in the rust belt those things and fluid swaps will keep a car going forever or until some kid hits you at 60 mph while you are stopped at a light because they were texting and didn't see you.

the car is no longer in the rust belt, up in Southern Oregon now, so...

and yeah, as long as the engine and trans stay strong for awhile longer i wont mind all the crap ive had to do.

one reason why i dont live in the desert anymore is that atrocious ass heat.

Tonight I removed the front sway bar completely. While I was doing that it made noises similar to my problem noise so I'm hoping it was the frame bushings. I'll run around this way for a couple days and see. If it works out I'll have to get some silicone grease to put it all back in.

Also, I cut away the bent bolt on the cross member plate. It's been bent over since my last off-roading. I needed to get that apart to get the sway bar out. Now I just have to replace the nut and bolt.

Tonight I removed the front sway bar completely. While I was doing that it made noises similar to my problem noise so I'm hoping it was the frame bushings. I'll run around this way for a couple days and see. If it works out I'll have to get some silicone grease to put it all back in.

Also, I cut away the bent bolt on the cross member plate. It's been bent over since my last off-roading. I needed to get that apart to get the sway bar out. Now I just have to replace the nut and bolt.

sounds like a lot of fun...

where do you go off roading out there? I didnt stay in that area long enough to explore around, however Ive been all around the desert of Tucson, and over in Quartzsite/Parker quite a bit.

Tonight I rebuilt my passenger sun visor. I did the driver's some time ago.

While rebuilding I removed the inner tip by the mirror since it interfered with all the stuff I have up there now. Dash cam, radar detector, GPS head.

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I went offroading in my stock height BK I dinged up a couple things. I've been getting a clunk from underneath once in a while, but I couldn't pin it down. Maybe engine or trans mount? Control arm bushing? Exhaust?

So I drove it long enough for whatever it was to make a mark so I could find it.

Tonight it wasn't 100 out and also not pouring so I got under there and found that the new cat was touching the floor pan under certain chasis flex and torque load situations. So I pulled it, changed the mount a bit, and adjusted the top shield inward a bit where the mark was.

Inspection also showed that the drivers side control arm mounting point was a little bent on the bottom lip and perhaps it was touching the control arm in certain flex positions so I bent it back where it belongs. I'm not talking about the part that actually affects alignment, just the ear near that.

All back together and about 100 miles of spirited test drive and no more clunk.

• 2 weeks later...
Finally got around to installing my craigslist rims with the new Achilles ATR Sport 2s, drilled and slotted rotors, SS brake lines, 03 WRX calipers, and Akebono ceramic pads. I'd say it all turned out pretty well, but I do need to roll the rear fenders a bit and get the engine sorted a little more, some pretty healthy ticking, I think I'll have a pro look at the valvetrain. I also wrapped my older, heavier UEL header so I can take the garbage SS one off. I've never wrapped before and it didn't turn out perfect, but it isn't terrible. We'll see if that isn't at least a little part of my noise.

side.thumb.jpg.41e29b3a72e96c894c9aeb10bb8daf78.jpg

Rims.thumb.jpg.44d10eceadda44d11070a1567a977b08.jpg

Header.jpg.04b2a4298fece4e86f8ff349d81d545b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Got the wrapped header installed, new lugs, strut tower brace clearanced and installed, and finished the full grounding kit. Car is much, much happier now. Next up is to install the fuel evap canister and solenoid, jdm fogs, and jdm sill plates that are sitting in the garage. Then its getting the cat back installed, windows tinted, and valves adjusted. Almost there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Very easy. Clean things to keep from getting dirt inside. Take a 1/2 inch drive ratchet handle or breaker bar and remove the two plugs. After like 40 minutes of draining, put the bottom plug back. Fill until it runs out the top plug. Put it back.

+1 Easy but messy without the right way to get the oil in the diff. Get either the ams oil bags of diff fluid or one of those screw on pump bottle tops.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...