LegacyGT.com

Engine got hottish...which symptoms related?

Stock 05 GT 5sp, 180k miles.

I've had three moments in the last month where the temp gauge rose on me. Never went above the upper "not-red-yet" tick mark, but in 18 months of owning the car I've never had it move above operating temp before. I'm not sure what the symptoms are telling me.

First "hot" instance: Just got back to car in a parking garage after an evening dinner. A/C on, gauge goes to about 10 o'clock. A/C off, fans cooled the engine while I was waiting in line (read mostly stationary) to pay for parking. No more issues for a few weeks.

Second "hotter" instance. Driving around 35mph with A/C on. Turn A/C off, windows down. I notice once I pull into a drive through that the temp gauge was reading slightly hotter than the last time. Fans running. Cools off once I start driving again.

Today's "hottest" experience: 45 min interstate drive home in rain. Cabin was warm from having sat in the sun all day, so A/C on for a while at interstate speeds when it was raining. A/C off, windows down once rain stops for last 20 minutes of commute. Back roads with a few short lights, no stop and go traffic. I normally coast the last 1/3mile in my neighborhood in neutral. As I pull into my garage, the gauge is reading higher than the two previous times, but still below the tick mark before the red. I can hear a fan.

None of the instances were brought on by hard running.

Things I notice:

1. A/C was on during at least some part of each time. I rarely use A/C, I usually just have my sunroof open.

2. From 156k-179k I know the coolant has not been flushed. It still looks nice a pretty antifreeze green. That will likely happen with some unrelated major maintenance coming in a week or so.

3. I have had the in dash bubbling sound for quite a while. It comes and goes. Hasn't coincided with any temp rise previously

4. Coolant overflow bottle was slightly below "Low." I topped it off.

5. Turbo coolant bottle had not as much as I would have liked to see. poured rest of water in there.

6. Freakin this turbo coolant line guy

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/seanyb505/20140618_183648_zpsqoumspgd.jpg

I've never smelled or seen any coolant leaks since I've owned the car (18 months and above mentioned mileage)

Any ideas if any of these symptoms are related? As I mentioned above, I have some big maintenance jobs coming up, I'd like to know if I should add another. Water pump? Thermostat? Coolant flush? Replace lines? I haven't checked the fans, at least one is running.

Any ideas if any of these symptoms are related? As I mentioned above, I have some big maintenance jobs coming up, I'd like to know if I should add another. Water pump? Thermostat? Coolant flush? Replace lines? I haven't checked the fans, at least one is running.

Get a comp check before you start any of that and do a leakdown to determine if you've got a hg failure. Either way, you'll want to replace all those things when you do your other maintenance, just be prepared to have to do head gaskets and headwork, too.

Fix that hose and put good 50/50 in with subaru conditioner. If there is too much water it can boil if it's too much antifreeze it won't cool correctly. Antifreeze doesn't cool it only lowers freeze point and raises boiling temperature. The water in the mix is what does the cooling.

Thanks for the tips. No getting hot on the 14mi drive to work today, and A/C was not used. 20/80 city/hwy mix. No stops longer than 20 seconds. Fans were not running as I backed into my spot. Ambient temp upper 70s.

I'm planning on a rebuild/vf52 at 200k rather than see how long my current long block wants to last with another timing belt. The hg/headwork would definitely accelerate that plan, but I'm not convinced that's what everything is pointing to.

I know I could do a comp test in my garage, though I've never looked into how to perform a leak down test. Same tools different procedure?

Bubbling behind the dash is Air in the system.

Burp the system.

Thanks, I have seen your post a few times on how to accomplish that. Obviously air in the system won't help cooling, is it reasonable to think that using the A/C would create a tipping point that the temp gauge would rise like that?

The AC puts more draw in the engine, which is more heat load.

You can use Peak Global or Prestone coolant to top off the system.

Good Luck

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yea air pockets make room for steam and when a temp sensor sees steam it pegs the gauge to hot. The gauge can read your over heating but your really not. Not saying this is your case but can happen and saw it on a eclipse with the pos 420a engine before.

Archived