LegacyGT.com

Grinding spark plugs to fix misfire

Has anyone heard of this? Someone else said they had their car in the shop because it was having trouble starting. The shop got a misfire in cyl4 when they were done working on it. She said they ground down the spark plug so the misfire would go away.

Maybe something was lost in translation. It seems like it would make more sense to find the cause of the misfire? :confused:

there is a valve adjustment method where you file down / grind the end of the valve stem instead of replacing the shims.

(the valve lash tends to tighten with age, filing loosens them to spec.)

this only applies to the bucket and shim type lash adjusters found in the 97(96?) - 99 dohc ej25s.

and it sounds like A LOT has been lost in translation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

update: they had a new, obviously inexperienced guy at the shop that told her that. They actually just replaced the spark plugs.

I'm actually hoping to do some amateur "mechanicing" on my off days. So, after paying hundreds of dollars to a shop on stuff like new plugs and wires I might have a shot at working on this car (and giving it the care a subaru deserves). Right away I noticed the battery is covered in corrosion, she said the shop never even mentioned it. Said the car lacked power especially when going up hills, with a flashing CEL. I haven't driven it yet but I was able to pull the codes: P0400, P0302, P0304

Is there any significance to the misfires being on the same side?

i plan to do:

-test coil pack/wire resistances

-check spark plugs

-check air filter, vacuum hoses, etc.

-check egr valve

-check grounds and fix the battery problem

-lots of reading

-could be a timing issue (last done a year ago, or ~50k severe miles)

Archived