LegacyGT.com

The tale of two OBP OBXTs | low vs lifted

KevinEdgar

How'd you get the fitment of the silver STI wheels (tire size?) and do they rub anywhere? I see you've got a now discontinued R6, I REALLY hope you take it to the track!

I used ISC 25mm adapter and tire was 245/45 falken ze950 for the 2012 sti wheels and 235/40 federal RSR for the 2008 STi wheels. Super heavy wheels. No rub

As for the R6 I do take it to the track and I used to race but now I just ride for fun. Here's a trackday vid from July if you're interested

Edited by KevinEdgar

Nice, casual track day. What's w/804, you from Va.?

Yeah I try and focus on the fun more than anything. 804 was my racing number so I’ve just kept it going.

I raced in Clubman Middleweight and Novice 600 Production

This was my first race and also my first time riding this track. It was a dream to race motorcycles but I had to choose between drifting and racing, but racing ultimately got too expensive even with sponsors after I bought a house. Fortunately I have my stock R6 to ride around and a car in japan to drift. So I still have everything I want in the end.

Edited by KevinEdgar

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a cobb ebcs and aem fuel pump from m45 automotive the other day, kinda forgot I have them, gotta install them soon!

Instead of getting the VF52 I'm going to get new IAG motor/pitch/trans mounts because I have drivetrain slop again. I know I gotta change the rear diff mounts too.

• 2 weeks later...
Ordered some more parts last night to get ready for the tune. Tomei ELH, IAG competition engine mount, pitch mount and trans mount. Can’t believe all those parts cost so much. I’m certain my old group n mounts are absolutely done cause when I was installing the engine I had unlimited wiggle room with the transmission positioning. I kind of wanted to get the solid mounts but I think the competition ones will be good enough.

Ordered some more parts last night to get ready for the tune. Tomei ELH, IAG competition engine mount, pitch mount and trans mount. Can’t believe all those parts cost so much. I’m certain my old group n mounts are absolutely done cause when I was installing the engine I had unlimited wiggle room with the transmission positioning. I kind of wanted to get the solid mounts but I think the competition ones will be good enough.

I’m with you on how expensive parts end up being... especially for stuff that seems to wear out prematurely.

I been slow on the updates but I promise I'm getting things done.

Today I installed my IAG competition mounts. Easy installation except the aft bolt on the driver side mount was playing hard to get aha. I kept dropping the bolt till it finally caught.

Initial impressions: More NVH obviously BUT, much more direct shifting and power transfer. I can still feel some slop but I know that it is from the rear diff bushings which I will deal with at some point. But with these new bushings I can now take off from a stop without having to slip the clutch and reverse is much easier now. Rev match downshifts are also suuuuper crisp and there is nearly no low speed bucking. I only drive this car on weekends but I'm driving it tomorrow dammit!

$700 for these things! I was blown away by the quality when I opened them up, price justified!

50833272543_95d4d60f7f_h.jpg

This car loves being up in the air or otherwise under the knife. I can't believe I originally bought this thing as a DAILY!!! Now its almost the most built car I have owned.

My new lens (sigma 16mm f/1.4) takes some awesome photos)

50834093737_bd1772dc5f_h.jpg

Comparison to STi Group N mounts

50834093692_c88b9ab233_h.jpg

50834093667_bc9e6bff99_h.jpg

50834007961_f48fb39398_h.jpg

Edited by KevinEdgar

I am certain the stock FMIC on the built engine is shot, when I took it off to put the new motor mounts in there was blow by oil coming out the underside and a few of the locking tabs were lifted. Should explain the sluggish feel and previously this car has hit 22 psi so I'm sure that didn't help lol.

Anyways, just ordered a grimmspeed TMIC and that should be the last thing I need to install prior to the tune.

*still waiting on the tomei ELH to ship.

Love the work you're putting into the XT's man. Reading this thread makes me want to buy another outback for off road adventures. Maybe a 3.0r

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thank you and thanks for checking it out! So much fun having two of these cars, a 3.0R would be fun! Those things sound so good with exhaust.

So, we have not seen pics of some offroad adventures yet with your other car. In the meantime, I am having fun in the sand and stuff :spin: Only got stuck once.

Really debating on getting the Torq locker for the R160 or a specially made dual range gearbox from Australia combined with a rear R180 diff with an air locker in it. Lots of $$$ though!

So, we have not seen pics of some offroad adventures yet with your other car. In the meantime, I am having fun in the sand and stuff :spin: Only got stuck once.

Really debating on getting the Torq locker for the R160 or a specially made dual range gearbox from Australia combined with a rear R180 diff with an air locker in it. Lots of $$$ though!

I take it snowboarding almost every weekend but haven't taken pics since there hasn't been much snow. Actually I did take some snow pics but I kind of forgot till now. Thanks for the reminder!

That sounds like a seriously expensive setup, they got all the good stuff in Aus.

Forgot to post this, but I put some new speakers, sub and amp in as well as did the first oil change. I think I'm up to 3k miles on the rebuild so far.

My first time having a fully proper stereo setup, JDM console been in there for a while but I don't think I ever posted pics.

50858413157_6ed88affeb_h.jpg

50858413112_8cecd75601_h.jpg

50858313046_81d8f8660c_h.jpg

50857597138_7249407954_h.jpg

50858312876_dbc861e96d_h.jpg

Phoenix Gold huh? Pretty good brand. I am currently using one of their amps (Ti2 1600.5 amp). I like it. Pretty small package for what it can output. I built a custom enclosure a couple of years back with a Dayton Audio RSS315HO. Chose that sub so it does not take too much space in the trunk, while still being able to hit the lowwws.

800W RMS for the sub is still not enough for me though at times :lol:. Was used to 3K before.

Did you do the 'big 3'? Although I see your amp may not demand that much 'juice'.

Phoenix Gold huh? Pretty good brand. I am currently using one of their amps (Ti2 1600.5 amp). I like it. Pretty small package for what it can output. I built a custom enclosure a couple of years back with a Dayton Audio RSS315HO. Chose that sub so it does not take too much space in the trunk, while still being able to hit the lowwws.

800W RMS for the sub is still not enough for me though at times :lol:. Was used to 3K before.

Did you do the 'big 3'? Although I see your amp may not demand that much 'juice'.

800 seems like a good size but no I didn’t do the big 3 which I think it’s alternator, battery and what else?

Forgot to post info about the install of the fuel pump, this was the most annoying fuel pump install ever. I didn't know that subarus have a fuel pump bucket assembly that is slightly difficult to get apart. When I first got the new AEM pump in it ran fine at first then started to sputter and not boost over 10 psi. I panicked and parked the car for the night since it was already late. The next day I rewatched the video of the process and realized that I did not transfer over the spacer for the top port of the fuel pump. So I took apart the bucket again and installed the spacer then everything ran like it should.

50879882246_30e80a0ff1_h.jpg

Turbo gets here tomorrow and headers aren't supposed to ship until early Feb which will be slightly cutting it close for the tune date of Feb 19th. I wanted to install everything at once but since the headers will take so long I'll do the turbo and TMIC sometime soon.

Turbo is here!! Blouch TD06-440XT 10cm^2 Turbo w/ HPD Turbine Billet Wheel. Maybe I'll install these sometime in the next few days idk. I gotta study a lot for my upcoming tests. I wonder if I will be able to use the cobb heatshield with this turbo, guess I'll find out.

This is my first time buying a new turbo so I'm pretty hype about that, especially since I have owned a few turbo cars now.

50886074253_ef39e4d89b_h.jpg

50886074228_184927a021_h.jpg

• Like 1