LegacyGT.com

Pirelli PZero Nero M&S Tires

spect2k

= Death in the snow.

My spec B - 215/45-18 Pirelli PZero Nero M&S. Driving in the snow today, can barely get that thing to stop....horrible snow tires. my lord - I can't believe how bad they are in the snow....

good as a performance tire though!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They are definitely a more summer-oriented A/S tire, but I had no issues with them in light snow/slush in Detroit for two years, myself.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Not available for a spec B though - subaru really screws the owners in that respect by having such narrow tires. There are 3 a/s tires available for 215/45-18. The horrible bridgestones, the lesser dunlops, and the best of the lot - the pirellis! - I would never have bought these tires if I had a choice, but the snows are just too expensive for me!

Not available for a spec B though - subaru really screws the owners in that respect by having such narrow tires. There are 3 a/s tires available for 215/45-18. The horrible bridgestones, the lesser dunlops, and the best of the lot - the pirellis! - I would never have bought these tires if I had a choice, but the snows are just too expensive for me!

225/45/18

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?width=225%2F&ratio=45&diameter=18&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&performance=UHPAS&RunFlat=None&x=48&y=7

I've got the P-Zero's and have ZERO :lol: problem in the snow so far. They are definitely not Conties but are a drastic improvement over RE50s in the snow. you can survive on them in my experience rather than die stock.
________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

I've got the P-Zero's and have ZERO :lol: problem in the snow so far. They are definitely not Conties but are a drastic improvement over RE50s in the snow. you can survive on them in my experience rather than die stock.

I live near you and had the PZero's for 3 years. It was scary at times in the slushy stuff like switching lanes on the Southern State or LIE. I just switched to the Goodyear F1 A/S. It can't be worse.

Jim, thats the wrong tire size. I am not running 225s, I am running 215s. The 225s are meant for a 7-8.5 inch tire. The 215s are meant for a 7-8 inch tire. Since the stock rims for the spec B are 215/45-18 with a 7 inch tire, I really don't want to go up to a 225 and really push the limits there. It is already a wide tire for the extremely narrow 7 inch rim.

I've driven toyo proxes 4 in the snow, these pirellis, many stock tires, different winter tires, etc. Of course the stock tires are a death wish, especially considering the stocks on the spec B are the summer tires, but these pirellis are flat out bad....if you guys think these are decent, through a nice set of tires on there and see what different tires can do for you in the snow. Tires are hard to judge because it is all based on personal experiences vs tire to tire comparison, but of all of the cars I have driven, I have always had a nice selection of tires and did decent in the snow (for a/s). With the spec B, there are only the 3 a/s tires that I listed above and I wasn't crazy about any of them - just the lesser of the 3 evils. I suppose my expectations are high - I bought a subaru because I need to be able to get around in the snow. Maybe to realize that dream I need winter tires.

Jim, thats the wrong tire size. I am not running 225s, I am running 215s. The 225s are meant for a 7-8.5 inch tire. The 215s are meant for a 7-8 inch tire. Since the stock rims for the spec B are 215/45-18 with a 7 inch tire, I really don't want to go up to a 225 and really push the limits there. It is already a wide tire for the extremely narrow 7 inch rim.

I've driven toyo proxes 4 in the snow, these pirellis, many stock tires, different winter tires, etc. Of course the stock tires are a death wish, especially considering the stocks on the spec B are the summer tires, but these pirellis are flat out bad....if you guys think these are decent, through a nice set of tires on there and see what different tires can do for you in the snow. Tires are hard to judge because it is all based on personal experiences vs tire to tire comparison, but of all of the cars I have driven, I have always had a nice selection of tires and did decent in the snow (for a/s). With the spec B, there are only the 3 a/s tires that I listed above and I wasn't crazy about any of them - just the lesser of the 3 evils. I suppose my expectations are high - I bought a subaru because I need to be able to get around in the snow. Maybe to realize that dream I need winter tires.

I know it's not the stock size. Many guys are running 225/45/17 on the stock rims instead of the OEM 215/24/17 so 225/45/18 instead of 215/45/18 on the spec b stock rims shouldn't be an issue. It gives you way more choices.

• 2 months later...
Again I offer a contrasting opinion on this topic. Was working out in Edgewood (Deer Park) L.I. on Tuesday until 7:30 or so. Got in the Shrek first time in any real snow/ice. Drove back on local roads, the Sagtikos and the L.I.E. all the way back to Astoria. PZeros performed extremely well. I felt very confident in a completely covered L.I.E. zooming by lesser equipped (or less skilled/confident drivers) cars :). PZeros always had sure footing, solid cornering, etc. That's just me. No death, no loss of traction at all, no sideways action (though I tried a tad a couple of open times :redface:).
________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Same here. Drove them in ice and snow in the past few days.

Good to hear.

I'm about to get some advan wheels with these M+S tires and want to run them 3 seasons a year.

Not that I'd try to run the advans in the snow anyways, but I'm glad to hear that they can handle themselves if we get a freak dusting and I'm too slow on the swap/

November can be a real tricky bitch sometimes up here...

I'm 3 years on the stock RE92's n for God's sake and I haven't killed my family in a horrible fireball yet... so the Pirelli's couldn't be worse.

Again I offer a contrasting opinion on this topic. Was working out in Edgewood (Deer Park) L.I. on Tuesday until 7:30 or so. Got in the Shrek first time in any real snow/ice. Drove back on local roads, the Sagtikos and the L.I.E. all the way back to Astoria. PZeros performed extremely well. I felt very confident in a completely covered L.I.E. zooming by lesser equipped (or less skilled/confident drivers) cars :). PZeros always had sure footing, solid cornering, etc. That's just me. No death, no loss of traction at all, no sideways action (though I tried a tad a couple of open times :redface:).

Drove the same area that night. Having replaced my worn PZeros with Goodyear F1 A/S, the GY are far better in the wet and slush. The PZeros are better feeling in the dry but I don't think they grip better than the GY.

I had the PZero Nero M+S when I had an STi. They were good on dry, OK in rain, poor on snow and abysmal on ice.

Haven't found any "all seasons" yet that are actually four-season tires. At the moment I have Blizzak WS-60s on my LGT-S.B and am very happy with the snow/ice performance... also no hydroplaning on rainy roads - and they're quite good on dry for a winter tire.

In my experience, the P-Zero Neros trammlined too much for my likes and did not do as well in light to moderate snow/slush as I needed - too much loss of control, when I least expected it.

Switched to Michelin Pilot Sport ASes and could not be happier with the handling - Dry, wet, downpour, snow, ice, slush, - all excellent. Tread is very agressive with massive tread blocks and huge sipes, but still quiet. And very unusual tread life for a "ZR" rating - just replaced mine with 31K and I probably could have gotten another 10K out of them except that I wanted to make sure that they were up for winter wet and snow fall in the area. I went up to a 225/45x17 and that size fits the 7" wheel very well. Pricey, but well worth the money.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Buy some 17" wheels and get the Contis 215/50-17. Size is very close to OEM and extra sidewall is good for pot hole season. Save the OEM wheels/tires for summer.

is any tire going to give decent cornering traction in winter conditions other than a dedicated snow tire?

I heard ContiExtreme were good wet/snow biased All-seasons. I just bought a set for my SVX but haven't had a chance to try them out. I can tell you that the tread pattern looks almost identical to my WinterSport M3s.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

Archived