LegacyGT.com

Car died under hard acceleration

I've had a lot of work done on the car recently, but it's been driving well and pulling strong. Today while accelerating hard, it felt like it hit a wall. There was a bang kind of noise, but didn't sound like a hissing from a boost hose coming off.

It felt like a fuel cut or hitting the rev limit. It died and I rolled to the side. Trying to restart it would die immediately. Later it would start but would hunt idle then die. AFR on the UEGO was 10 at idle then would go high then die.

No codes are showing.

I looked for loose hoses but didn't see anything, but this was on-the-side of the road poking around.

In looking at a past post, someone suggested "overboost leading to fuel cut" and they described the bang sound and hitting wall feeling.It was caused by boost controller line being off.

Any other thoughts on where to tell the mechanic to focus, like fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator?

thanks.

Edited by ashwinearl

Is everything stock? I would take of the intercooler and inspect that as well. maybe you blew the ends off, its made out of plastic and metal. Also, it would need to be a big leak for it to not run, it should start with small leaks, it may run like crap but it should start.

Just a thought, it could be the vaccum line going from the manifold to the FPR. If that comes off you will run super lean and at idle your AFR will be off. Not sure if that would cause the car to die, but its possible if the fuel doesnt have enough pressure to enter the cylinders.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

@rhino6303 and @chato and my tuner Cryotune all called it. Intercooler to throttle body hose. The mechanic said the clamp wasn't totally loose but not as tight as it should have been.

Are T-bolt clamps recommended here over the worm clamps? I just came across these from Colonel Red Racing.

How often do you check tightness?

This is a Grimspeed TMIC by the way.

Edited by ashwinearl

grimmspeed? I have the same, they come with good clamps, no need to buy new ones. If you didn't install and a mechanic did..... then you can't blame the clamps because a 3rd party did it and they coulda just installed it incorrectly or loosely. I have a bunch of grimmspeed products and they don't give you garbage! A lot of people on here run the grimmspeed tmic, never heard of issues with the clamps! I would call this 100% human error!

You don't check tightness until u have issues like this! Its tightness isn't supposed to degrade over time.

Yes, agreed human error.

It is good that their worm clamps are higher quality. I wasn't sure if these after market double beaded clamps or the T-bolt clamps are solutions to problems that don't exist, or if worm clamps in general are not good or have wide ranges in quality.