LegacyGT.com

replaced air filter with Purolator One, now hearing hissing

Public service announcement that Purolator One air filters from the auto parts store do not fit well into the stock air box. I am hearing air hissing on acceleration.

I'm assuming this is a bad thing and will go back to OEM or considering an AEM dry filter from research here.

Thanks for the post. I had looked at aftermarket air filters back in 2005, but none looked like a good fit. I recently read some comments on the Advance Auto Parts site in which several posters said they were very happy with the Purolator One fit. I guess if I choose to try a Purolator out, it will be in the Advance parking lot.

Are you sure you put the air box back together correctly ?

I have had to fix mine a couple times.

Both my cars have K&N panel filters, lightly oiled. The wagon got a Perrin Panel filter back in Aug 2004. That filter finally wore out a few years back.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The filter I got was:

A35592

SPEC DATA

Height 1.30

Length 8.61

Width 8.62

Type of Filter Panel Air

No, I am not sure about putting the box back together. Getting the bottom tab in the correct spot is tricky.

When you do this procedure, do you disconnect the main air hose at the box and at the turbo inlet and rotate it out of the way? Do you remove or slightly move over anything else, like the power steering reservoir?

Any other tricks to ensure it goes together correctly?

There isn't a rubber gasket around the edge of the Purolator one. I thought the stock one had a gasket for better sealing.

The filter I got was:

A35592

SPEC DATA

Height 1.30

Length 8.61

Width 8.62

Type of Filter Panel Air

No, I am not sure about putting the box back together. Getting the bottom tab in the correct spot is tricky.

When you do this procedure, do you disconnect the main air hose at the box and at the turbo inlet and rotate it out of the way? Do you remove or slightly move over anything else, like the power steering reservoir?

Any other tricks to ensure it goes together correctly?

There isn't a rubber gasket around the edge of the Purolator one. I thought the stock one had a gasket for better sealing.

I would assume there is a rubber seal around the paper filter to hold its shape.

I may have had to loosen the air hose to allow more play to wiggle the box back together.

I do know I make a point to verify all is correct before I think I'm done.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

Some follow up. I grabbed an STP Air filter from Auto Zone SA9997.

The STP and Purolator look almost alike. They have similar number of pleats and have a foam outer border. The big difference between the two was the consistency of the thickness of the foam outer border4.

The STP foam boarder was was a consistent thickness on all edges. the Purolater was thinner on the side edges and thicker on the top. It might have been a manufacturing problem, but it definitely was not uniform.

I put the STP in and the box did feel slightly harder to close the clips on. There is less hissing noise with the STP.