LegacyGT.com

Pinhole in top plastic

I pulled into my driveway and noticed small plumes of white smoke coming out the front of the grill. When I opened the hood, I was greeted with a fine stream of coolant shooting out of the plastic top of the radiator near where the main hose connects.

fkKdiUeh.png

2005 LGT Wagom 5MT 149000 on the odometer. I believe this is the stock radiator, so it might be at end of life anyway.

Is this something repairable, such as with JB plastic weld, or just get the new one now?

thanks.

While on the subject, what is the current choice for replacement radiator? There is some info in the JMP sticky about a TYC radiator from Amazon?

JB weld would also work. In your case, you can probably just use a soldering iron instead of buying the whole unit from harbor freight if you choose to go that route.

Also: I'd consider replacing your radiator cap. If that hole was caused by internal pressure, that can be caused by a radiator cap that does not vent as it should. But with that mileage like you said, the radiator may be on its last leg anyways.

• I Donated Too

just replace the radiator... I mean temporarily fix it, sure... but replace it.

That's not an uncommon spot for them to crack, there is a mould line there which is why it's weak after many many heat/cool cycles...

Spectra make radiators on Amazon and you can get some QUICK on Prime or pay less, a lot less for one of the others... There's nothing wrong with the Spectra radiators although many will tell you a perfect time to upgrade to an all metal radiator... there really is no need. Each to their own.

Better off replacing..Call around near you. I found a csf for about $125 at a local radiator shop when mine decided to disintegrate at the nipple during my timing belt replacement. It wasn’t in stock there but they had it within about 2 hrs.

I tried the Harbor Freight plastic weld kit.

81GDTskh.jpg?1

First it turned out where I circled in red was NOT the correct spot. I did 'weld' that spot then warmed up the car to find the correct spots.

v9UwIOkh.jpg

-No go- Maybe temporary enough to get me to the shop w/o it shooting all over the place.

I used the flat iron and 'pressed' a long the cracked line to create what sort of looks like welds. Then went back over using the filler rod that came with the kit. Then I tried to spread out the filler material which might have been part of my mistake.

The filler material does not seem to bond well to the original plastic and pulls off easily.

When I ran the car again, weeping still occurred.

xF8XrPfh.jpg

now to decide to hunt for one local, wait two days on prime, or take the hit at the dealership. It's my work vehicle so down time is tough.

Thanks again for the input. I hope this experience helps someone else down the line

Out of curiosity which filler rod did you use? I wonder if they were two different kinds of plastic?

This kit was different than the what was shown on the video you linked earlier. It only had the black strips, not really rods. The kit shown in the video had the black strips and then rods in green, white, grey.

These strips all look the same type:

C1c04Kjh.jpg

I would vote for a new radiator but maybe try the plastic weld again and use JB weld (the black stuff not the quick set) on top of it. Clean the surface with brake clean first to ensure a good adhesion. Then install the new radiator whenever you receive it.

• I Donated Too

Back in your box John.

That's nearly a week out for that and as I mentioned you can spend less, a lot less for the others - basically anything on slower delivery because Amazon Prime's "Free Shipping" is bollocks. It's a fortune all badly hidden in the price. CU13091 seems to be the Spectra part number and it shows up all over the place in different guise for the cars they all fit and work just fine...

https://www.amazon.com/Radiator-Subaru-Fits-Impreza-13091/dp/B07GVP8L5P

This one is $8/$9 less than fleabay but nearly two weeks out. Thing about radiator leaks is you usually need the radiator fast.

Thanks guys. I ordered the Spectra and it got here by Saturday. I went slow and deliberately and things went well. Peak 50/50 green combined with a no-spill funnel and notes from pasts posts here helped me a lot.

Where do you guys recycle coolant. Advanced and Autozone don't accept it around here.

Archived