LegacyGT.com

Wheel bearing going bad in rear? Dragging brake sound

caramall2

I've had wheel bearings go bad before, but this sounds different to me. Usually little sound until I drive a few miles, then it sounds more like a dragging brake pad or a tire scraping on a fender well...a constant "scraping" sound. It's steady and whether I'm on the brakes or not it persists. I guess a little louder when going around a corner but not a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not surprised as these cars don't have the best rep in terms of the bearings. They are almost a wear and tear item.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Mechanics where wondering as they couldn't hear it that bad, then they pulled it off, rotated it by hand, and found it was in pretty bad shape...they saved it for me to check out. It was hard to even rotate it.

Yes we have noticed that these bolt-in bearings really are hard to diagnose if they are bad using the conventional methods to determine a bad bearing.

-Mike Paisan

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'm having the same sound in the right rear, so I thought I'd check to see if that really was the issue. It sounds almost like a brake pad that has worn all the way down and is scraping, but I'm fairly certain it's not that. How do I diagnose if a wheel bearing is going out?

Sometimes it gets worse when going around a corner (stresses bearing more on that side) but mine was hard to tell just by cornering. Check brakes and see if they're fine and rule that out. Ultimately as the sound got worse and worse and I didn't think there were any brake issues, the only thing left was to take off the bearing. When mech took it off and we rotated it by hand, that's when we could really tell...it was hard to even turn.

Some smarter folks than me may have a better way to tell...

Sometimes it gets worse when going around a corner (stresses bearing more on that side) but mine was hard to tell just by cornering. Check brakes and see if they're fine and rule that out. Ultimately as the sound got worse and worse and I didn't think there were any brake issues, the only thing left was to take off the bearing. When mech took it off and we rotated it by hand, that's when we could really tell...it was hard to even turn.

Some smarter folks than me may have a better way to tell...

We've used the swerve test to see if the sound changes during 20-25mph severe swerving.

-Mike Paisan

Given those two descriptions, I think my passenger rear bearing is going out. It definitely varies in sound/volume with hard cornering at 20-25 or driving laterally along a grade. It doesn't change with any braking or bumps. It has become a serious metallic "wooshing" ambient noise while driving. I have to turn up my stereo to hear things correctly.

Any recommendations for the best or strongest replacement bearings?

Archived