LegacyGT.com

Winter Tire Value - CT

spect2k

Obviously for those of us in NH, VT, ME, etc the winter tires are almost an absolute must. I'm in Norwalk, southwest CT though (barely New England area) and am debating whether or not winter tires are worth the value or if a good set of all-seasons could handle the job.

For those in this general area, do you think that we qualify as having extreme winters? I can't decide if it's worth the winter set.

Thanks.

Lived in Hartford for 2 1/2 years and had to drive to Naugatuck every day for work. Still drive there regularly because of family.

All seasons worked well for every intended use. Except a bigun in 2002 where before I got out of work there was already 10-12 inches on the ground. I had to open the store the next day so I didn't want to do the round trip under the circumstances.

Obiously a dedicated set of winters would be the best choice.

Others can chime in who have all seasons.

I guess it depends on how hard you drive when its fair weather.

A narrower tire will give better grip in snow.

I've used Blizzaks for the past 4 years, but this year I'm going to put G Force Super Sport on for the winter. I use a 16" rim for my winter tires.

A 17 is the smallest you can use.

O.

On my previous 2wd vehicles, I always had snow tires in CT.

Never put a set on any of the subarus I have owned though.

The weather is just so unpredictable, I'll admit sometimes I had wished I went with snows, but I have gotten by just fine in all seasons, driving very careful.

I have a set of all-seasons that I run during the colder months and swap back on my summer tires for the warmer 6 months of the year.

My all-seasons are Pirelli PZero Nero M&S. They were the best option for all-seasons at the time in 215/45-18s. Nonetheless, they are pretty poor in the snow.

I am a teacher, so when there is snow on the ground, school gets canceled pretty quickly. I still tend to find myself out in it though. Its not the getting going that I'm worried about (AWD) but the stopping.

I have switched to a/s tires for the past 4 years.. only because I don't have enough space to store 2 or sometimes 6 sets of wheels (having at minimum 2 cars all the time)...

I've driven in worse.. I'm from Canada.. :) Sure, winters would do better in some situations, but I have NEVER had a situation where I was stuck NEEDING them.

It's all how you drive.. but it sure beats having a ton of different wheels and having to switch when the weather gets questionable when you need them or not. I've been stuck with a snap freeze just before I *thought* it would snow , driving in my summer tires. Boy was that a challenge to drive around, even the slowest turns the car would get squirrely. I always err on keeping the winters on longer in that case.

With a/s tires you just drive the same every day.. and adjust your own driving based upon road conditions.

I pretty much agree with you.

This video got me thinking:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfvyPtYR0Y]YouTube - Tire Rack Tire Test - All-Season vs. Winter Tires[/ame]

One main factor that I think they've left out of the video is that those are probably great winter tires being compared to the stock all-seasons which are probably horrible (like most stock tires)

Dont trust the tire rack. They said my Yokohoma AVid sW4's were the quietest in the comparo test, it was rated #1. After 20K , I cannot take the constant howling from these tires. They suck in the snow, RE92's and ASX's were better, quieter.

I just ordered Conti Extreme contacts for the wifes Saab. Bets in class snow traction, noisy but she doesnt care, and cheap right now because they are being replaced by another tire. I know they wear somewhat quick too but were not keeping the car that much longer.

FWIW, THe Kumho ASX was a better tire than the 92"s and the AVid's. Cheaper too!

The only publication that may test tires for 20K miles is CR and this I am not sure of.

After so many miles the noise the tires make may have nothing to do with their design/materials and a lot with the wear. Hard to tell without investigation.

Krzys

I have never had issues with my all season tires on my 09 LGT. I dont bomb around in the snow, I dont hit the gas or brakes hard and I drive a little slower on the highway.

Around town.... they are fine, I have driven through a snow bank that was above my headlights (almost level with side windows) with my all season tires in 1st gear. No slipping....it moved like a tank.

Snow tires will obviously help more but for the cash vs whats in my wallet at the moement.... I'll def get them later.

I bought dedicated winter tires for several reasons:

Even though the weather isn't extreme in South Jersey, on the few days I have needed winter tires they were worth the cost. Bodywork costs more than tires.

Eventually you will need to buy replacement tires. A second set postpones that purchase.

I have to show up for work. Not having the option to call off on a snow day means I need all resources available to get there.

• 4 weeks later...

Well here's my take:

35 deg. uphill driveway in Northern CT 100 Ft Long, 6" Snow unplowed - 2 car test:

#1: 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 1.8T - dedicated Snows (Dunlop Winter Sport M3s)

#2: 1998 Subaru Legacy GT - All Weather Bridgestone RE960 Pole Position

VW makes it up about 1/2 way, I was impressed, thought WOW, Wife take Subaru and tells me no problem watch this, up it goes all the way and makes the turn at the top too...:spin:

Basically you really don't need them in a Subaru IF you have the right all season tires. Will Snows help sure, but definitely not a requirement, especially in southern CT:cool:

PS - the driveway is why I sold the VW and bought the 05', and yes they both run RE960s all year long:p

I've had RE960PPs for over a year now as well... no issues in the snow. Sure, a dedicated snow is a better tire, and would prevent slipping further, but, first and foremost, knowing how to drive properly helps...

Unfortunately the winter "performance" falls off dramtically after about half worn. I limp and slide around on RE960's with 5/32" on my WRX. Still incredible tires otherwise in all other conditions at 35k miles wear.

i switched to snows when one of my RE92s blew last winter. love them, the car doesnt skip a beat in the snow, feels like i'm on pavement. allows for more control when i'm drifting around too ;) ...i head north when it snows, though...driving into the snow and storms, so it was a pretty big necessity for me.

i went with a set of summers when the weather came around as well.

i switched to snows when one of my RE92s blew last winter. love them, the car doesnt skip a beat in the snow, feels like i'm on pavement. allows for more control when i'm drifting around too ;) ...i head north when it snows, though...driving into the snow and storms, so it was a pretty big necessity for me.

i went with a set of summers when the weather came around as well.

Don't confuse the RE92s with the 960s... The RE92 is such crap that a freaking donut would outperform them:eek:

So to say that you need dedicated snows because you've compared that to an RE92 is just ludicrous... Your comparison tire is so bad it's pointless.. :rolleyes::lol:

woah there, captain, i never said the re92 was the re960. nor did i even bring up the performance of the re92 in the snow (i said one of the tires "blew" as in popped). all i said was i am very happy with my decision to go with snow tires. i didnt even say they were necessary, just made the car feel like it's on tracks.

reading comprehension is a good thing...

and the car performed pretty well with the RE92s in the snow, just gotta know how to drive it...

woah there, captain, i never said the re92 was the re960. nor did i even bring up the performance of the re92 in the snow (i said one of the tires "blew" as in popped). all i said was i am very happy with my decision to go with snow tires. i didnt even say they were necessary, just made the car feel like it's on tracks.

reading comprehension is a good thing...

and the car performed pretty well with the RE92s in the snow, just gotta know how to drive it...

Consider this:

#1:OP asked about Dedicated Snows vs All-seasons

#2: OP started he was aware snows were better, but are they actually required

I realized you didn't mention how the RE92s perform, but the way you raved about having Snows, that would mean in this context you thought snows were better. Guess Not:p

If your reading comprehension is so good though, I don't get how you answered the OP's question???:rolleyes:

You've basically given us ZERO helpful info:lol: Talk about being owned by READING COMPREHENSION:cool:

Eh, I never had a problem with the RE92s. They weren't great tires, but they weren't "dangerous" as many others have complained.

Hence the wonderful image:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/3/24/921208/re92%20scapegoat.jpg

Bwhahahaha OK well your opinion is there not quite as bad as I think, great, but would you recommend them over snows??

I mean OP is clearly thinking of buying Snows so, like I said earlier, Snows would be recommended over poor All Seasons... But you can get great All Seasons vs. having to buy two sets of tires in the case you're buying tires;)

no one can answer the OP's question besides themselves and what they want to do with their money. essentially they were asking for opinions and i stated mine on the subject, and maybe trying to get them to consider if they travel into snowy areas often. no one can state a fact about whether or not they're necessary, it all comes down to what the OP wants to do.

yes, snows are better than all seasons in the snow. that IS a fact. i shouldnt need to explicitly state it.

btw, while your point is mildly valid about me not "answering" the question, it has nothing to do with reading comprehension. but you already PWND me extremely so i mean i must be a fool. :rolleyes:

grovelet - I think I made my feelings on the OP post previously, but yes, I agree snows are excellent for the snow... but a good, quality all-season with proper driving technique is generally good enough with 2WD cars, as well as these AWD LGTs.

still on the summers. probably gonna switch in early december if this weather keeps up. longer than i was expecting to run on them.

Yep, me too...

Unless the temperature gets down to below 40 I will stick on my Summers too... Early December sounds like a good timing, according to the weather channel!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Archived