LegacyGT.com

Ball Joint in Mevotech Aluminum Lower Control Arm

Mine lasted almost 2 years. It is a little disappointing but I just used it as an excuse to upgradeto Whiteline’s KCA313 Kit. They did go through a lot of abuse tho as I had to replace my axles several times and I had to hammer on and off that ball joint.

Shit, I thought these were supposed to be decent. I just put some on my car like 2 weeks ago...

I have no real experience with these, just arm chair surfing and came across some posts here and outback forums on ball joint issues with these.

Here Post #7

Here at Outback forums.

There are other thread out there.

Two issues came up.

1) short lifespan on ball joints

2) a sleeve that sits inside the control arm that the ball joint goes into. This caused some grief removing the original ball joint and is needed for a good fit if you decide to change to another ball joint, like Moog.

Edited by ashwinearl

I have no real experience with these, just arm chair surfing and came across some posts here and outback forums on ball joint issues with these.

Here Post #7

Here at Outback forums.

There are other thread out there.

Two issues came up.

1) short lifespan on ball joints

2) a sleeve that sits inside the control arm that the ball joint goes into. This caused some grief removing the original ball joint and is needed for a good fit if you decide to change to another ball joint, like Moog.

You can remove the sleeve from the ball joint with a chisel and some penetrant and it slips off. Just FYI incase you wanted to install Moogs before you got the arms in.

I believe to be having issues with a popping sound coming from these ball joints. I installed the Mevo LCA a while ago and I wish I installed OEM ball joints at that point.

Eh, I have replaced every single balljoint, arm, and bushing on my car that is suspension related. Struts and mounts, springs, and brakes. New axles, swaybar bushings and links, etc. Still makes that "pop" noise. At this point I'm pretty sure it's related to a subframe or tranny mount or something along those lines. I had a sound before and after, and it is the EXACT same noise. Even if the new balljoints sucked, there would at be a slight change in sound unless the new balljoint was somehow the exact same as a whooped-as-fyck floppy nearly 200k mile balljoint, which it clearly wasn't because I had to pull the new one hard with my hand to make it move enough to line it up to bolt it back on the car while I could literally hold the old one up and shake it up and down to make it flop around.

• 4 months later...
2020 update, they suck. I put a set on two years ago. My first mind was to put in Subaru ball joints before I installed, because how good could ball joints on $100 control arms be? I didn't and should have. "Clunk, clunk, clunk," went the driver's side ball joint a few months ago. On the up side, also put on new JDM Bilsteins, Kartboy sway links and poly swaybar bushings. So there's that. The clunk is gone after putting in a Subaru ball joint.

• 2 weeks later...
2020 update, they suck. I put a set on two years ago. My first mind was to put in Subaru ball joints before I installed, because how good could ball joints on $100 control arms be? I didn't and should have. "Clunk, clunk, clunk," went the driver's side ball joint a few months ago. On the up side, also put on new JDM Bilsteins, Kartboy sway links and poly swaybar bushings. So there's that. The clunk is gone after putting in a Subaru ball joint.

Other than the ball joints, how are the arms themselves holding up? Looking to replace my bushings and the price of the arms is really appealing. I already have the superpro roll center adjust kit so not too worried about the ball joints

There's 2 sets of aluminum arms for sale on the classifieds

Yea, I'm looking for ones with new bushings already in them. I have a Spec B already so could just have the bushings pressed out, but the three shops i have taken the car to have recommended replacing the entire arm. For $80 an arm on Rockauto, i don't mind swapping out the ball joint if that is the only fault with the product