LegacyGT.com

Question about transmission mount

how about the basics.... is this a manual or automatic..... smh... or at least put ur cars specs/model etc. in ur info.... if you provide more info, more people or the right people will respond... and you wont have assholes like me responding!!

hmmm... have you inspected anything??? are all your bolts secure, did you inspect the mount, or try moving it???

tbh you can probably figure it out if you jack the car up and inspect it visually! its hard to say from just shifting.... but a tranny with free play or not stabilized the way it should be will definitely cause issues on any car....

wtf is bang shift..... details and not slang or weird terminology that is extremely vague, does it bang when you put it in gear or do you mean it bangs when you shift it... like wtf are you talking about! when i google bang shift i get power shift.... i know what power shifting is but that doesn't apply here.... so more info ...

Edited by Tehnation

Sorry, I should have been more clear, was being lazy.

Something happened to his original motor, I can't remember what. So he had a shop install a JDM ej20x engine.

Did some digging just to double check

Ej20x head and block. Ej255 everything else including sensors. (According to shop).

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/expanding-my-knowledge-p5873005.html#post5873005

Have you tried free ssm with the VAG COM cable to reset memory 2 yet? I can’t recall if you were part of the discussion thread on that. Seems it’s common to have a hard shift (shift shock) with the 5eat and if memory 2 is reset and the learning procedure followed it can be smoothed out.

Rallitek soft insert and rear diff inserts from Whiteline helped get rid of a good bit of slop and gave firmer shifts for my 5EAT. However, you'll likely need to do what DaveWaters is suggesting to clean up hard shifts. Subaru released a service bulletin for this. I think they charged me about $35 to do the relearn. See here: https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3897657&postcount=3

ultimately this is all pointless until you get your hands dirty... i don't know much about the automatic transmissions but seeing how there were 2 answers in completely different directions, one mechanical and the other electronic/tech. You should jack the car up and inspect visually, and watch that video as well if you are not sure what you're looking for, see if all the mounts are secure and diagnose the rubber in the bushings... if the rubber is worn or torn blah blah blah what the video said.... if your tranny is nice and snug then move to the tech solution.

you can't diagnose this issue without looking at anything... u can't diagnose most problems without inspecting something...

Sorry, I should have been more clear, was being lazy.

Something happened to his original motor, I can't remember what. So he had a shop install a JDM ej20x engine.

Did some digging just to double check

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/expanding-my-knowledge-p5873005.html#post5873005

That’s correct. Thanks for inputting that!

Have you tried free ssm with the VAG COM cable to reset memory 2 yet? I can’t recall if you were part of the discussion thread on that. Seems it’s common to have a hard shift (shift shock) with the 5eat and if memory 2 is reset and the learning procedure followed it can be smoothed out.

Yes I have done that quite a bit. I did it, was fine for like 10 minutes then back to it’s bang shifting. I also noticed when I keep my foot down in 3rd gear it’s like the transmission is slipping and loosing power. Hard to explain I’ll try to take a video next time.

Rallitek soft insert and rear diff inserts from Whiteline helped get rid of a good bit of slop and gave firmer shifts for my 5EAT. However, you'll likely need to do what DaveWaters is suggesting to clean up hard shifts. Subaru released a service bulletin for this. I think they charged me about $35 to do the relearn. See here: https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3897657&postcount=3

Thanks I’ll check it out. Hopefully this helps me out.