LegacyGT.com

Rear Timing Belt Cover Broken, Replacement?

Hi all,

Currently in the midst of a timing belt replacement and whilst removing the covers I helped create a broken rear (and front) timing belt cover on the drivers side. :mad: One of the rear nuts was spinning and my removal attempt broke the front cover and now I am stuck with a damaged rear cover with a spinning nut.

Has anyone ever had to change a rear cover? I cant find anything online or here and I'm confident that the cam sprockets would need to be removed to do it. I can likely rig up a fix with the existing rear cover and new front, but I would rather it be fixed properly. Any input is appreciated!

2005 Legacy GT 5MT 225k KM's (140k mi)

Edited by flevum16

Removing the cam gears can be a royal PITA. Fix it if you can.

If you have to remove the cam gear, also remove the front banjo filter in the oil line behind the cover.

You'll need a special 10mm hex to remove the can gear blots.

others will have a link to the company 23 hex. There are threads in the DIY forum about the timing gears and belt.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well shit, my buddy and I are gonna tackle it next weekend once I get parts. I'm very confident I can seal it up but I'm not so sure about the bottom bolt that's broken. Ill have to re-evaluate and see what the best way to go.

Ill avoid removing the cam gears if i don't have to, as it does look like a pain. It recommends a special tool... but i don't know how important that is besides convenience, as the crank pulley comes off easily enough without one.

A 10mm hex key is something I should have, but i hope it doesn't come to that.

Has anyone done a cam gear removal guide that you know of? if not, I would consider making it one while I go!

I also wasn't aware there was a banjo bolt filter behind there... is that similar to the AVCS/Turbo feed bolt on the rear passenger side rear?

I think m sprank posted this video in the past, I'll drop it in here just in case things go south.

Removing cam gears with a welder and axle nut if allen head strips

After looking at a number of the suggested posts and walk throughs threads as well as the vacation pics, I was able to extract the broken parts without too much difficulty. The problem with the bolt was resolved by removing it and simply not reinstalling. I did have to replace the front timing belt cover but otherwise it was not too difficult of the process.

so when was the last time you replaced your timing belt? tbh if your at 140k miles without servicing your timing belt, you might as well do a complete fix, but if you have replaced your timing belt around the 90-100k mark, can't remember what the recommend service interval is, then i would do the band aid fix like your doing now. but make sure nothing can get in there oil water etc. stuff getting in your timing cover is a recipe for disaster!