LegacyGT.com

Cooling issues

okay here's the deal and what I have noticed.

This morning i drove my car about 15 minutes (to work) sat in the car a little bit because I was early and I noticed it was smoking, so naturally I popped the hood. It looked like coolant was dripping from a tube coming off of the (air?) filter but it wasn't too bad. then I drove it to an appointment later that day. (this would be the third time I turned it on and drove it.)

it preformed fine, i had been checking coolant fluids all day. On the way back home is when I had the biggest problem. The temp gauge was almost all the way to the top!!!! pulled over and popped the hood again. My reservoir is FULL so I squeeze the hose in the reservoir, it made no bubbles in the reservoir. waited for the car to cool down enough to add coolant. There was none in the main coolant tank! drove it the rest of the way home slow, overheated once.

Getting frustrated because out of all the problems in this car I have had the cooling system has been reoccurring. I'm thinking maybe it's just that hose from the reservoir. Or maybe someone else has some input. either way I need help :nono:

I agree that head gaskets are a strong contender. Before you pull the heads, try removing the thermostat and see if that helps any.

Agreed... I'd start with the thermostat and go from there. I had a similar with my 96 L Wagon, and thankfully I was right down the road from my mechanic. That was the first thing he checked, and found it was stuck and wouldn't move at all. Thankfully the part was cheap and easy to get to, and I was back on the road and going within 20 minutes and never had any other issues after that.

Archived