LegacyGT.com

Clutch pedal sticking

i have a 95 sub legacy brighton wagon with a cable driven clutch. i have purchased 3 different clutch assemblies with the most recent one being a complete set including new flywheel. i would love to have my legacy back on the road. if anyone can help please do.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

My bad lol. My clutch pedal has no resistance when new clutch is installed. Pedal goes to floor and stays there. When I go to pull it back up the spring on the pedal snaps the pedal back up. Checked clutch cable already

I had to look at mine again to see which way the adjustment went, have you tried tightening the adjuster all the way down? I just remember it seemed backwards to me, when the new clutch goes in you tighten the cable, and as the clutch wears, you loosen it.

If that works, there is some fine tuning to keep the throw out bearing from riding the pressure plate continuously. If that doesn't work, maybe your clutch fork is either bent, or maybe not on the pivot ball correctly.

sounds like the clutch plate may be on incorrectly. i had same issues the first time i taught my son to do a clutch, he didnt tighten the plates down correctly and had it bound up. once we pulled it, reset and torqued it down correctly, it worked well. you may want to check the TB down to the fork, then to the fingers, and see if they are contacting correctly

Wow, that thing is way loose, you should have a lot more thread showing than that for a new clutch. I know, I said try loosening it first, but then corrected myself and said tighten. I'm easily confused!

As I said earlier, I'd start with tightening the adjustment nut ALL the way down. Just for reference, I have a '97 Brighton, and I just did the clutch a few months back, I have about 1 1/4" of thread showing on the adjuster, I have hardly any threads left to tighten it anymore. If you already tightened it all the way down and that didn't do anything, then it's either what I or twisty said above, or something else crazy, like the wrong clutch altogether!

I still holding out for an adjustment issue though.......the simplest remedy is most often the correct one. Just for kicks, try pushing on the fork by hand, if you can push it towards the fire wall more than 4-5 mm by hand, it's to loose.

I adjusted the cable again and checked pedal and evidently I had done something wrong before because the car is driving again....now to relearn clutch pedal due to engagement being about an inch off floor

Awesome! I had a feeling. What you described is just what I was feeling when I did mine. A big DITTO on relearning the new clutch pedal feel, it is weird having it grab that close to the floor. Make sure your free play adjustment at the fork is good, if it's too tight, you'll wear out your throw out bearing prematurely.

Archived