LegacyGT.com

How many miles on your CVT? Any Issues?

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE:

2013 2.5L Prem now have 76k no issue but already replace the front and rear diff fluid once. Planning to take it to Subaru once I get close to 90k and have them inspect the CVT fluid and see if they can change it for me.

Do any of your CVTs have a grumbly rattle/sputter noise anywhere between 1100-1500 rpm? I usually hear this as I'm just accelerating lightly from low speed coast.

I have a suspicion it's heat shield related. Any thoughts?

Mine is noticeably quieter when starting off cold. Near the end of my trip is when I hear the noise consistently.

As for the heat shields, any idea where the prime suspect might be? I might try to put a hose clamp in there on the weekend.

I am still sitting on the fence about the letter...part of me thinks I am sitting on a time-bomb and another part of me thinks great I now have a security blanket.

I guess this is the current gen version of the head-gasket issue I had with my last couple Subies.

The good news is my twins start driving in a year so I guess instead of us being in the market for a beater car perhaps they will get the Legacy and I will get something else...lets hope my wife goes for that logic!

I'm grateful the letter covers for a year (thru Jul 2018), no matter the mileage. My Subaru is over 160k and I was just noticing the shudder is drooping the RPM lower than I'd like. No stalling yet and I'd like to keep it that way.

the warranty terms are as follows

if your car is over 100K 1 year warranty from July 2017 through July 31 2018 regardless of mileage on car

all other cars that are under 10 years old and under 100K miles . The warranty extends powertrain warranty on the CVT until 10 years or 100K.

Wife's 11 leggy has 100300 miles and mustve died 100 times when coming to an abrupt stop. Took in to the stealership and they serviced it right away after i test drove it with them. So far so good. We got a 17 forester as a loaner but steering felt way too sensitive. So far after 100 miles all is well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

Got my letter today. I am 600 miles shy of 100k. What could I do to take advantage of this service, before I lose it.

Not much if you don't have symptoms or codes. My CVT occasionally stumbles near a stop, but no way could I reproduce this on demand. Plus, it seems to be getting better.

And besides, you are covered until July 31, 2018. You have another year.

Mine has a shudder sometimes if I step on the gas too soon after putting it into reverse. Also in stop and go traffic I have noticed what feels like the transmission engaging and disengaging.

Also, I received the letter from Subaru.

Mine has a shudder sometimes if I step on the gas too soon after putting it into reverse. Also in stop and go traffic I have noticed what feels like the transmission engaging and disengaging.

Also, I received the letter from Subaru.

My car has been acting similarly to yours and it gets old fast especially in slow or stop and go traffic. Mine shudders and doesnt do a smooth down or up shift. The traffic usually slowes down n picks up fast then slow down fast. It feels as if the transmission is stuck deciding which ratio to go to but not fast enough. Do you plan on taking yours in for a check up?

I wont be able to have mine looked at until next week or so.

Similar problem in this post:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/2-5i-prem-cvt-gentle-bucking-light-acceleration-merged-thread-212890/

Edited by supercow2610

Here's my 5 minute version... At around 83k I noticed what could best be described as a differential whine on deceleration. It was definitely reproducible if I let off the throttle...tech could hear nothing and said all the cars sound like that. So I made service manager go for a ride and she said she definititely heard it but had no clue what it was but not to worry about it

Stayed about the same until about 108k where it got noticeably louder...still no driveability issues but it was going fast. Dealer now says I need new trans for $7500...i complain to SOA and best they would offer was $2500 off a remanufactured which still left me @ 5k. This car had nearly 100% highway miles. Fluid levels were fine and looked fine as well per dealer. Fortunately I still had my civic with 200k and the original 4 speed non CVT to get me around thru this...

Local trans shop sources a used CVT with 16k miles thru LKQ with a 2 year 24k warranty... Installed for $2800.

Submitted my claim for reimbursement and got an email about 3 days later saying to expect a check within a week for the full amount.

Hopefully I get at least 100k out of this one too though I admit I'm a bit worried that there's just an inherent design flaw in these models.

I

I called and made an appointment to get the trans looked at. The service guy said from my description that there may be an issue with it.

Mine was one of the first cars built with this trans (built 6/09). Not sure if that has anything to do with it. It now has about 121k miles on it, and honestly has been one if not the most reliable car I have owned.

I have 106000 on my 2013 and it's been great. I've only owened the car for about 10,000 miles, but havent noticed anything questionable about it the transmission. I've been impressed . And im one of those people who's all about standard transmissions. Hopefully it lasts and lives up to the idea of not really needing service

I just called to have my 2010 2.5i CVT checked out. It has about 62K miles and the original CVT. When coming to an abrupt stop the Legacy stalls and dies. I suspect this has to do with the TSB 16-107-17. For mine the torque converter specifically TSB 16-90-13R

I attached a copy of the "locked" TSB from STIS.

151725-151724-16-107-17062217.pdf