LegacyGT.com

2020 (Gen 7) Legacy Debuts at Chicago Auto Show

http://media.subaru.com/pressrelease/1397/1/subaru-storms-windy-city-all-new-seventh-generation

http://subarumedia.iconicweb.com/mediasite/attachments/2020_Legacy_Release_020619_2.pdf

As widely expected, the H6 engine is gone, replaced by the 2.4 liter turbo H4.

Edit: A new Seventh Generation Legacy forum has been added to the site. Future MY 2020 related threads should be posted there.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Exterior is barely a refresh. Dash looks nice, and the Nappa Leather will probably feel and smell nice. Ventilated seats, would be cool (haha). At a mile above sea level, the XT would be awesome. - Not interested in this new model. I'll drive my 50th Anniversary until I'm bored, then look into the new 4Runner or refreshed Taco, that's if Subaru refuses to make a new truck.

Looks pretty good. Not good enough for me to upgrade my 2016, but good nonetheless. I don't think I'd like that climate control setup. One of those articles are wrong about the new screen being the first Subaru screen to allow split screen. My 2016 with nav has that feature, and I use it from time to time.

Subaru Legacy in Canada had a manual option up until 2018, will they bring back the manual option for the 2.4 turbo? It seems that USA definitely will not see anything except CVT, if we get a manual option here, it'd be a spiritual successor to the Legacy GT. This would literally be the perfect car if that was the case...

It’s nice, turbo should offer better mpg than the 3.6R that I have, the media center and new leather is very sweet, just not enough upgrade for me to switch, probably when they bring the next version of eyesight to the Us from Japan then I’ll consider upgrading.

Overall I like the direction Subaru is taking, sure they could have pushed more HP, but I think they playing it safe.

Subaru Legacy in Canada had a manual option up until 2018, will they bring back the manual option for the 2.4 turbo? It seems that USA definitely will not see anything except CVT, if we get a manual option here, it'd be a spiritual successor to the Legacy GT. This would literally be the perfect car if that was the case...

I would totally get a legacy or outback with a manual transmission. Not only is it more fun to drive, but it bypasses my concerns regarding long-term reliability of Subaru's CVT. While Subaru's CVT performs better than other CVT's I've driven, they don't have a good track record that gives me a reason to consider keeping longer than 100k or so.

If Subaru went back to offering Outbacks and Legacies with three pedals they would have a nice niche in the market. I'm pretty sure even BMW and Audi have abandoned that too. VW might offer something, but it's a smaller wagon. However,

I can't really blame them for not offering a stick .. the market just doesn't buy enough of them to make them financially viable. Plus, as we've seen in the WRX's, Porsches etc. a good CVT or DCT is faster than a manual.

Another consideration ... if the new Legacy XT is priced in the $35k+ range, and doesn't have a manual transmission to make it special, my dollars would go to a slightly used Stinger GT with a lot more performance and warranty. This is probably the #1 reason I'm not getting excited about a Legacy XT.

On the other hand, the Legacy 2.5i, boring as it may be, remains an incredible value. A full sized awd family sedan that's quiet, comfy, and isn't an underpowered top-heavy SUV, for < $25k ? Awesome!

So glad to see there bringing the turbo back to the legacy. With 20% more HP than the 4th generation legacy. Although the new legacy is bigger and weighs more than the 4th generation it should be just about even in power to weight ratio. Would definitely get one if the price tag is not too high.

Outside mirrors have moved back to the window from the door. Also looks like the rear exhaust will be hidden downpipes like on the outback. Thinner grill up front? At least the foglights look slightly better :) The standard tech would be a reason to upgrade if you dont have it.

So glad to see there bringing the turbo back to the legacy. With 20% more HP than the 4th generation legacy. Although the new legacy is bigger and weighs more than the 4th generation it should be just about even in power to weight ratio. Would definitely get one if the price tag is not too high.

I guess I don't see much initial benefit to the 2.4T over the H6. But ... the 2.4T has a lot of potential for tuning to run on E30; if the 2.0 FADIT is any indication, the 2.4T might be good for 350hp/350tq ... if the CVT can handle it.

I guess I don't see much initial benefit to the 2.4T over the H6. But ... the 2.4T has a lot of potential for tuning to run on E30; if the 2.0 FADIT is any indication, the 2.4T might be good for 350hp/350tq ... if the CVT can handle it.

It has a few more HP, 30ft-lbs of torque and the fuel economy is 4mpg better than the 3.6R. The advertised 0-60 time is also 1 sec quicker.

Looks quite nice. From what I can see it appears they went for a hidden tailpipe which I'm not a fan of. Hopefully at least the turbo trims will get some exposed chrome tips. The emphasized wheel arches are a nice touch that adds some sportiness. Not a fan of the wheels they've shown so far, too pinwheel-y for my taste.

I'd really like to take an XT for a spin to see how it compares to the WRX. Would definitely consider another Legacy in a few years. I was always impressed with the handling capabilities of mine, with all of the chassis improvements I bet this one will be even better.

Looks quite nice. From what I can see it appears they went for a hidden tailpipe which I'm not a fan of. Hopefully at least the turbo trims will get some exposed chrome tips.

The Legacy at the press event had dual expose tips.

2020-subaru-legacy-14.jpg

For 2020, the Legacy's CVT hydraulic system features a lower viscosity oil that reduces horsepower loss by 32 percent compared to the previous model's CVT, helping the new model achieve both higher fuel economy and greater driving performance.

So if the TR690 is in the XT trim we could do the same to the 6th Gen? If so, I wonder which oil was used and if it will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s nice, turbo should offer better mpg than the 3.6R that I have, the media center and new leather is very sweet, just not enough upgrade for me to switch, probably when they bring the next version of eyesight to the Us from Japan then I’ll consider upgrading.

Overall I like the direction Subaru is taking, sure they could have pushed more HP, but I think they playing it safe.

as long as you stay out of boost, it should but once you get into said throttle, it is going to drink gas like water...

as long as you stay out of boost, it should but once you get into said throttle, it is going to drink gas like water...

My GT only gets about 2mpg less fuel economy than my 6MT 2.5i of the same year did and I regularly drive the car in boost when accelerating. My old Outback 2.5i EJ2523 with 4EAT actually get less FE than my GT does. I know the new FA24DIT is a different engine than my EJ255, but I wouldn't expect the fuel economy to be significantly different between the rated mpg of the 2020 Legacy engines.

I'd really like to take an XT for a spin to see how it compares to the WRX. Would definitely consider another Legacy in a few years. I was always impressed with the handling capabilities of mine, with all of the chassis improvements I bet this one will be even better.

I too hope the Legacy XT's suspension is greatly improved over the current model. While our 2017 Legacy has adequate damping for what it is (economy sedan), rough surfaces in the corners discombobulates it. It is one of the few complaints I have about the car.

We had a 2005 Outback XT and one of the best things I did was to replace the OEM struts for aftermarket units with slightly more rebound. Everything about how the car handled (and carried a load) was greatly improved, at the expense of slightly stiffer ride, which was a welcome change.

Our 2016 WRX's suspension is far less compliant than our Legacy or even our old OBXT. I would not want the WRX suspension on a Legacy XT.

Ideally, the Legacy XT would have a suspension like my 2010 535i xDrive. Of all the cars I have driven, that E60 is the best suspension/handling I have experienced that was appropriate for a performance sedan. But I'm not holding my breath ....

My GT only gets about 2mpg less fuel economy than my 6MT 2.5i of the same year did and I regularly drive the car in boost when accelerating. My old Outback 2.5i EJ2523 with 4EAT actually get less FE than my GT does. I know the new FA24DIT is a different engine than my EJ255, but I wouldn't expect the fuel economy to be significantly different between the rated mpg of the 2020 Legacy engines.

As a point of comparison - our Outback XT 6MT (EJ255) managed about 21 mpg combined. Our 2016 WRX 6MT (FA20DIT) manages about 27 mpg under the same conditions.

If there was ever a spiritual successor to the OBXT, it is the current WRX. From the back seats forwards they feel very similar, and engine performance is also similar (especially in Cobb stage 1 tune).

The turbo is back, but no MT to go with it... CVT only, apparently... boo!

I'm not sold on DI engines - without a means to combat carbon buildup, I guess you are faced with a gradual power loss followed by walnut blasting or similar. wash rinse repeat...

Looks like a really nice car - suspension sounds interesting (the rebound spring thing, anyway) - I'd miss the manual, though.

I'm not sold on DI engines - without a means to combat carbon buildup

Same here. I won't be buying anything with a DI engine. Obviously that greatly limits my options at the moment, but until they solve the carbon build up problems I'll stick with what I have got. It will be interesting to see the fall out from the dual injection system that Toyota is currently using in some engines.

I found the following clip very informative regarding Direct Injection.

Looks good! They made every refinement I would have wanted in my top trim 2018 (Heated steering wheel, ventilated seats, rain sensing wipers.) That awesome screen is just the icing on the cake. Also like the more modern taillights and the new turbo 4 with more HP and better 0-60 than the 3.6

The new XT is gonna be a good car, but atm I rather enjoy my smooth 3.6R, just a solid engine.

I like the torque the new XT has, the media is just drop dead gorgeous. Subaru has been stepping it up big time on the infotainment end the last few years, you don’t get such nice infotainment even in some of the so called luxury brand cars that cost 2x more.

The rear is like an Impreza, Toyota, Lexus like. It’s not bad but I wanted something more unique.

I’m looking forward to see how the outback looks, from some of the leaked pictures it will look similar.

The lower grille I am not fond of that goes from side to side, the plastic kinda looks cheap and it seems the headlights are slightly smaller than the last gen.

I do like the tail lights.

One can only hope Subaru gives us a limited STi package with slightly higher HP if possible, if we can get closer to 300hp then it would be sweet.

Archived