LegacyGT.com

BOV vs OE BPV...who's running aftermarket?

careercadaver

I know this is not an upgrade and is pretty much unnecessary as our OE BPV is more than adequate. If it your intention is to flame this post am am looking for input and reviews on these set-ups so please feel free to chime in on a constructive note instead but please include personal experience vs something you read online and if you cannot contribute in this way please refrain from posting.

With that being said I am exploring options on getting a bit more turbo noise out of my set-up. I plan to stay full recirculating at this point but might go slightly atmospheric in combination with a CAI and Speed Density if need be.

I have heard aftermarket set-ups leak and I am looking for reviews on which brands to avoid...

Short answer:

I have a GFB Respons on my OBXT and like it a lot. It has 'infinite' adjustability b/n full recirc and full VTA, which seems to fit your requirements well. Prior to that, a Turbosmart Kompact was installed on the car, running in full recirc configuration.

Longer answer:

When I had my tuner/shop install a new Perrin inlet on my VF52'd OBXT last summer, they were unable to reconnect the the OE recirc hose that was connected b/n the pre-existing Turbosmart Kompact BPV and the dedicated fitting on the inlet. They ended up somehow capping the fitting on the Perrin inlet, leaving the Turbosmart Kompact BPV in VTA configuration.

At the time, I had a MAF tune. It ran like crap - unstable idle, intermittent stalling, jerky/poor power delivery b/n shifts, etc. I came across a technical article on Turbosmart's website that indicated the Kompact valves are actually slightly open under certain levels of vacuum by design. So w/ my set up the Kompact being forced in VTA configuration was acting like a vacuum leak. As such, the issues I had w/ the Kompact were -not- the fault of the the valve itself, it was simply b/c it was being forced to run in a configuration that it was not designed for.

The car was re-tuned w/ SD which eliminated the idle and shifting issues, but due to knock/DAM drop problems w/ the tune and laggy feedback/response from the tuner/shop about it, I switched back to the previous MAF tune (putting the stock MAP sensor back in place of the Omnipower 4 bar) and installed a GFB Respons valve, again running full VTA. The GFB Respons has virtually eliminated all driveability issues I had w/ the Turbosmart Kompact and the MAF tune. Idle is stable, hard upshifts don't send the car into a fit of jerky back/forth chaos, power delivery b/n shifts seems identical to how things were w/ the recirc'd Turbosmart Kompact.

I do -not- like the GFB VTA configuration b/c of the very loud BOV noise and the idea that I'm dipping way rich b/n hard upshifts w/ the MAF tune. One of these days I'm going to revisit finding a way to get the recirc hose connected. One of the bigger contributors here on the forums installed a new Perrin inlet on his car and found that an 08+ WRX recirc hose was of the proper length/shape to make the recirc connection b/n the BPV and the fitting on the newer Perrin inlets. Depending on how the recirc fitting was capped (I don't see a cap over it, but do see something that looks like it may have been forced/welded into it), I may need to buy a new inlet. I really do -not- want to have to buy another one and deal w/ installing it again...

Yeah ive been running the capped perrin inlet option as well lol

But ive been running the hks ssq4 full vta

Love it never really had issues a good tuner cant fix

Its alot of fun sounding like a screaming hawk/eagle when i fly by assholes on 95

I have the Forge BPV (FMWRX3), full recirc. It's great, 0 fitment issues between OEM and GS TMIC and OEM hoses, has held up perfectly with 0 leaks at Stg2 (~21.5psi) and Stg3 (~19.5psi), comes with various springs and shims depending on your target boost levels, and gives off a subtle sound that's not obnoxious.

I have the GFB response valve and my recirc hose fits fine. Works great being the 50/50 configuration. I've had no leak issues and it doesn't go very rich at all when shifting.

Yeah but I have a VF52 and IPR TMIC w/ one of the newer style Perrin inlets, on an 05 OBXT. No way the recirc hose was fitting. The PO of the car had an AVO inlet which kept trying to fall off the turbo. After we removed it to install the Perrin, it became clear that the shop the PO used to install the AVO, had trimmed quite a bit off the AVO in order to get the recirc hose to fit back to the inlet. That trimming was causing the AVO to keep slipping off the turbo.

Aside from currently having to run the GFB full VTA, i have no issues w/ it, driveability and idle are solid.

HKS SSQV on vta. Car is tuned on speed density. With my fmic I liked the ability to relocate the bov to a new location and speed density allowed me to move it and not have to make a custom recirc tube. Speed density it not a big deal to do.

Forge, full recirc.... fits perfect.......works perfect and easy to set up, easy to clean. Great price too!

Paul is spot on. The forge might not be as fancy and makes as cool as noise as others, but it works and is a good price. I was surprised how loud it is for being fully recirculating.

Archived