LegacyGT.com

"STI Stumble"

Something else you could try first, which seems to be a good fix on a 4th gen and has more or less cured the stumble I had (although it's most noticeable on cold start, so the real test will come this fall), is moving the FPR vacuum reference off of the cylinder 4 runner on the intake and teeing into the bypass valve signal line. I did it by running a little 3" stub of line out of the BPV port on the back of the intake manifold, and sending one branch of the tee in each direction. Not quite as pretty as on a 4th gen, where the BPV and FPR are neighbors, but it seems to work.

Edit: check out this thread- couple of pics of the install on a 4th gen in post 223, and I think there's a better description of what was done within one of the surrounding posts.

I rarely notice it, but shifting into 2nd at about 20 mph is usually the best way to make it happen. I'll occasionally get something in the 2100-2200 RPM range if I give it more than grandma throttle input, but that's much less frequent.

Moving the vacuum reference is easy and cheap enough that it'd be worth doing that first to see if that cures the issue (assuming you notice it). If you're still having issues after that, then maybe look into a new FPR.

I have always had the stumble pretty bad on my McDowell S1 tune. The Cobb OTS S1 tune there was no stumble at all, same with the stock tune.

It seems it rears its ugly head when certain fueling parameters to a more aggessive state. I keep meaning to try the reference line mod first, but another work around is to coil 3' of fuel hose between the FPR feed and hard fuel lines by the left strut tower.

Yup, about 2400 to 3200 rpms when giving it light throttle, 2nd gear its most noticeable. If I get my foot in it a bit in those rpms, it goes away and screams like a bat out of hell. Reminds me of a carbeurator when the idle jet and main jet dont seamlessly overlap a little slice of rpms. I kept sending him logs and he never saw anything so I gave up.

I haven't noticed any stumble with my stg1 COBB dynotune. I was thinking about an e-tune if I went to stage 2 purely out of convenience, but I might have to bite the bullet and make the 8ish hr roundtrip to get another dynotune

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Archived