LegacyGT.com

Bondo for wing delete holes?

I'm fresh to this whole forum website, so I don't know if I'm posting in the correct forums, but I did a wing delete on my 06 Legacy, and it left pretty nasty holes. I unfortunately can't afford to buy a wingless trunk and paint it, and nobody around my area would be interested in trading. I was thinking I could use Bondo to fill the holes and use touch up paint that matches my paint code to paint over the bondo to make it blend in. Does anyone have any other/better suggestions? Money is tight right now, nothing outrageous please :)

Bondo will not stay in place over much time with no backing behind it (for example open hole). If anything you could get a small piece of sheet metal tack welded on the back side of the holes, then bondo in the holes smooth. Maybe even use jb-weld to secure the sheet metal if you don't have access to a mig welder. Thinking on a budget here that'd probably work.

you could also tape off the holes so you don't have imprints, then vinyl wrap just the top of the trunk lid.

I'm not too familiar with the vinyl wrap, how would I know what/where to get it and how would I know what color I need to match my car?

We cut small "patches" of metal and tig weld them over the holes (patch from the bottom, weld from the top). Then we grind down the welds smooth and glass over them. Works like a champ. Can paint or wrap from there with confidence that the holes will not "sink", "pop out", leak or worse.

Also, how would I get rid of the residue built up around the holes without damaging the paint?

See Mr Sprank, if you want it done right;)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

There is no way to properly fill the holes without "damaging" the paint. Vinyl wrapping a trunk lid (professionally) in my neck of the woods is $200-$250 (depending on vinly choice). Paint is more than twice that for a "decent" paint job.

Archived