LegacyGT.com

My first Subaru. HELP!!

Qwik Sand

Hey guys, so just recently in my town a Subaru came up for sale, I have been wanting a Subaru for a VERY long time and finally.. The time has come! Okay so here are some details

2005 Subaru Legacy GT

98k miles

5mt

Fairly modded

$8,000

Impressions from test drive: It was so much fun! BUT, there are noteworthy hiccups. The clutch grabs extremely close to the floor, which may warrant the need of a new one soon. Some interior plastics were badly scratched (easily fixable). The leather was peeling off of the parking brake handle. Minor cosmetic issues on exterior. Drove it fairly hard, but not maniacally, and the car didn't overheat. It shakes at idle, which I've read is fairly common?

Bottom line is, how reliable will this vehicle be? Will it last me the 4 or so years that I expect it to? Let me know fellas! Oh and the mods (which I could see and hear) are: Full exhaust, Cobb intake, big Perrin inter cooler, and a waste gate. *will post pictures

Your timing belt and tune up is supposed to be at 105k so I mean if he has done that then thats a leg up for sure. I am also looking at getting a 05-06 but the 05s did have some turbo issues from the research I do so that may be another question is to see if a turbo has been replaced.

Your timing belt and tune up is supposed to be at 105k so I mean if he has done that then thats a leg up for sure. I am also looking at getting a 05-06 but the 05s did have some turbo issues from the research I do so that may be another question is to see if a turbo has been replaced.

True true. The belt looked pretty dang new. It has a free carfax, but I haven't checked it out. And yeah the turbo.. Hmm, it ran fine but it may not last if it is the stock turbo. With 98k miles and then an intake and fat intercooler shoving denser air in there, yeah.

The clutch grabs extremely close to the floor, which may warrant the need of a new one soon.

I'm still looking for the 'right' Legacy for me, and the ones I've test driven all have this issue. My GF is fairly short so while I don't care where the engagement point is, she needs it to be up a little higher. You didn't say how many you've test driven so I don't know if you are talking in comparison to other LGT's or just in general, so YMMV.

I'm still looking for the 'right' Legacy for me, and the ones I've test driven all have this issue. My GF is fairly short so while I don't care where the engagement point is, she needs it to be up a little higher. You didn't say how many you've test driven so I don't know if you are talking in comparison to other LGT's or just in general, so YMMV.

It's the only one I've driven. I meant in comparison to my current car, but in my research I read that the extremely low clutch grab is the way it's supposed to be.

Archived