LegacyGT.com

Hot / burning smell from Turbo

ATB

I have an 05 LGT wagon with 64k miles. The turbo has not blown (yet) but based on threads here, I am getting worried. For the past 1k miles or so, I have noticed a hot / burning oil smell after the car has been driven for a long distance. I took it to the dealer and was told it was a leaking CV boot.

Twice this weekend while driving in the Catskill mountains in NY, I had cases where after a using high boost for a few min accelerating up a slope, I smelled a hot/burning smell. Today it was so bad, I feared something under the hood might actually have been on fire. I immediately went very light on the throttle and pulled over as soon as i could. I opened the hood and nothing was obviously wrong, but the smell (now reduced) was coming from the turbo area.

I fear my turbo may be getting starved of oil and either burning what gets to it or the area around it in the engine bay. Am I nuts? Is this some other problem? If the turbo is going I would ideally like to catch it or at least replace the turbo before it takes more of the engine with it.

Bought the car used with 11k miles on it. Since I have owned it, it has gotten a synthetic change every 4k miles or less. It is the wife's car and generally gets driven very softly.

• Mega Users
It's probably grease from the cv boot leaking onto the downpipe. When you get on boost, the DP temp will be higher causing the smell. It could also be an oil leak dripping on the header.

My car is in the shop right now for a torn CV joint boot. I had been having the burning oil smell on and off for about a week. When I finally checked it out, I immediately noticed grease all over the downpipe, and then I looked at the CV joint, and the boot was torn completely open.

had severe oil burning smell after a dealer oil change. Took it back, CV boot had torn and thrown grease all over Down Pipe.

DP burning passenger side CV boot is very common on our cars. Smell and smoke will rise upward right by turbo and make you worry.

Find an independent subie shop to replace the CV boot. Dealer did mine for approx 170. My mechanic now wants 85 to replace a boot.

We replace about 5-7 passenger side front axles on LGT's per month at our shop. The heat from the DP/Cat tends to cause the inner boot to get brittle and eventually crack.

-mike

Which is a good reason to wrap the downpipe, and run heat shields.

I'm going to wrap my TXS downpipe, and probably fabricate a heat shield as well.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Makes sense but as per my post, the dealer (supposedly) fixed a torn CV boot when I had it in a few weeks ago. Guess it need to go somewhere else for a 2nd opinion.

Archived