LegacyGT.com

Dash Melt Down

Any update on this? Last summer when I emailed Subaru Canada they basically told me to take a hike as the recall wasn't happening in Canada.

For those of you who have had the dash replaced, what's the material like? How well does it match the doors? Can you post pics? :)

Don't have any pics, but it matches the doors as well as the original dash. It doesn't look any different than the original dash did.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought a dash online that was supposed to be new and manufactured in 2016. I inspected it and am seeing this time stamp. Do you guys think it was in fact made in 2009, which means it is a new dash from an old stock? :mad:

Here is a quick video I made as well...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vjJr8iuwwY]Dashboard manufacturing date - YouTube[/ame]

IMG_20180423_211644.thumb.jpg.1fadba5b827398d62cadc480c3d4a72c.jpg

Anyone? :redface:

I am about to email the seller (subaru dealer) and ask this question too. Plus there is a damaged screw hole too that I have to notify him about.

But still, is it possible that the plastic frame of the dash was made at that time (shown on the pic) and yet the dash was 'finalized' in 2016 (i.e. added the top layer--the layer that has been melting..). I kinna doubt it but who knows.

Anyone? :redface:

I am about to email the seller (subaru dealer) and ask this question too. Plus there is a damaged screw hole too that I have to notify him about.

But still, is it possible that the plastic frame of the dash was made at that time (shown on the pic) and yet the dash was 'finalized' in 2016 (i.e. added the top layer--the layer that has been melting..). I kinna doubt it but who knows.

Bump...

I emailed the seller and he is 'apologizing' for the manufacturing date and would give me additional discount on the dash if I decide to keep it...

In the meantime, I will probably put the dash in the sun and see how it reacts to it..

Bump...

I emailed the seller and he is 'apologizing' for the manufacturing date and would give me additional discount on the dash if I decide to keep it...

In the meantime, I will probably put the dash in the sun and see how it reacts to it..

I don't think that will tell you anything about the breakdown phenomena. That took years to develop, from my understanding. I'm actually not certain that the recall "fixed" the issue, or if the new dashes will still break down and get sticky after another 7-10 years.

Thing is the current surface of the 'new' dash appears to have that white/gray powdery feel to it, just like my two dashboards when I don't clean them for a while.

So basically, all of you who have changed your dash, you do not know for sure if your new dash was manufactured within the past 2-3 years then. Dang it.

Edited by xt2005bonbon

One more question to all of you and I'll shut up...

I meant to ask that before but, did any of you have a dash meltdown issue and yet never ever used any ArmorAll like product to clean it? I've been using these kind of chemicals since I owned these cars. And now I am wondering if these actually caused this problem after all.

One more question to all of you and I'll shut up...

I meant to ask that before but, did any of you have a dash meltdown issue and yet never ever used any ArmorAll like product to clean it? I've been using these kind of chemicals since I owned these cars. And now I am wondering if these actually caused this problem after all.

It's possible. You shouldn't ever need more than water to clean, IMO. As for me, my dash wasn't particularly sticky when I got it recalled, and I have no idea what any of the 5 previous owners did before I had it :lol:

"2005-2009 Outback and Legacy

Dashboard warranty extension to repair sticky or melted dashboards exposed to high heat or humidity.

Extends a warranty on all affected vehicles through March 2017 or to 10 years from original date of first sale for a one time fix or replacement of 2005-2009 Legacy and Outback dashboards damaged (sticky, melted) due to heat or humidity. This is na TSB, not a safety recall, so if there's no damage, there's no repair needed. Letters to owners will be mailed February 2016. TSB 12-197-16"

I did not read through the thread to see if this had been mentioned but knew I had come across it recently.

but there you have it, even Subaru acknowledges this issue AND blames it on high heat and humidity.

ALSO, when I bought my car and called Subaru they confirmed that this warranty had already been done on my car. I live in a high head area (for part of the year) and it is not too sticky. however, my door panels are on the top.

Edited by NickCawks

"2005-2009 Outback and Legacy

Dashboard warranty extension to repair sticky or melted dashboards exposed to high heat or humidity.

Extends a warranty on all affected vehicles through March 2017 or to 10 years from original date of first sale for a one time fix or replacement of 2005-2009 Legacy and Outback dashboards damaged (sticky, melted) due to heat or humidity. This is na TSB, not a safety recall, so if there's no damage, there's no repair needed. Letters to owners will be mailed February 2016. TSB 12-197-16"

I did not read through the thread to see if this had been mentioned but knew I had come across it recently.

but there you have it, even Subaru acknowledges this issue AND blames it on high heat and humidity.

ALSO, when I bought my car and called Subaru they confirmed that this warranty had already been done on my car. I live in a high head area (for part of the year) and it is not too sticky. however, my door panels are on the top.

Just to make sure I understand your situation... your dash has been replaced right? And you're saying that your dash is already exhibiting some amount of 'stickiness'? If that is correct, then that sucks.

• 1 month later...
I tried to get mine (2005) replaced last summer when they did the airbag recall (which I had to wait for over a year to get in stock). They said the campaign had ended (it was a few months after the March 2017 date specified in the original letter). Mine is pretty sticky, but they tried to say it wouldn't have qualified for replacement even if I wasn't too late. I don't buy that. Overall, I'm not happy with my dealer.

I had my dashboard replaced end of last year at the same time the takata airbag for the passenger side was replaced.

Subaru agreed to change the dashboard even with campaign having ended and exceeding the 10 year warranty period.

My steering wheel airbag cover is absolutely fine after so many years.

I had my dashboard replaced end of last year at the same time the takata airbag for the passenger side was replaced.

Subaru agreed to change the dashboard even with campaign having ended and exceeding the 10 year warranty period.

My steering wheel airbag cover is absolutely fine after so many years.

Unfortunately, I bet it is just a matter of time for the steering wheel cover to exhibit the same issues. It takes more time for it to happen, probably because it is not as exposed to direct sunlight as the dash.

This really sucks when you try to take care of you car, and it just deteriorates like this; and there's nothing you can do about it.

What did you put int he dash to cause this ?

My wagon is fine, all I ever used to clean it was a damp towel I use to dry the car off after washing.

The car sit's outside 24/7

hahaha your in CT dude. It doesnt get hot up there.

• 1 month later...

My door panels have started to get sticky. Started off with the pull/grab handles (the coating was peeling) but it's been so hot and humid this summer that now the surround around the door handle and tweeter cover is like glue, even the main panel under the window (think where you rest your arm) is getting tacky too. I've scrubbed it and some of the stickiness goes away but it always comes back in a few days. Looks like crap now too. The door for the compartment between the vents feels like it's getting "softer" too, though it doesn't get handled much so I think it's holding up better.

hahaha your in CT dude. It doesnt get hot up there.

Sure does, gets over 100 in the summer sometimes. Common to get up into the mid 90s, and very very humid. It gets about as hot as VA in the summer, just gets colder in the winter. We have a very broad temperature range in New England.

They extended the warranty until when?

I don't have the letter anymore. But if you look at post #81 it shows the letter they were sending out to people. I got a similar/same one. From the looks of it, the offer expired last year 3/2017.