LegacyGT.com

Winter Car - what should I do with it?

So I use my 2005 LGT mainly for commuting to work in the winter and during rain storms. I am trying to come with list of mods to do before the winter.

Right now I'm running a stage 1 tune, but I just bought a Cobb downpipe and will take the car to stage two this weekend. Everything else is stock.

Does anyone have any ideas for cost effective mods?

I would love to get a leather interior but they are tough to find in the NYC metro, CT/ lower New England area.

Good Winter tires, replace all wipers with winter blades, fill washer fluid with the -32 formula (any brand however rain-x is my go-to) and get a good car cover so you don't have to brush the leggy. All of the above and stage 1 is all you need to be unstoppable in a snow storm. Oh, and keep a tow strap in the car so you can pull the tool-bags who thought they were real men when they bought a 4x4 truck out of snow banks. J/K on that last one, but I've seen that very scenario happen!

Like they said above, For snow tires, you don't really need them if you have good all season tires.

Make sure all the fluids are in good shape and don't need to be changed in January. It's better to replace the fluids early rather then wait until the cold weather.

How about spark plugs and the battery ? Brakes too ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks max capacity I have good all season tires, Goodyear f1, but I think these cars look pretty sick with black steelies and snow tires.

As for the fluids I've done brake and power steering recent and their oil every 3k miles. The battery is about a year old.

I just put hawk has bake pads on it about 10k miles ago, so we're good there too.

thanks man!

steelies, with general altimax, or dunlop graspic.

a good shovel, a good scraper, tow strap, blanket, road flares, perhaps bucket of cat litter or sand, good flashlight, extra batteries, phone charger, fresh fluids, winter wipers, a glass coating such as carbon collective platinum glass!!!!

btw i have full tan leather heated seat interior for sale!!!

both front seats heat up perfectly, Leather is in fantastic shape, drivers has average wear.

available for pick up hows $150 sound for both front seats and rear bench,

located in Chestnut Ridge, N.Y.

Remember to get donut gasket for the downpipe to stock catback. I just did this 2 weeks ago. You will love stage 2.

FWIW, My Invidai DP uses a 2X thinck Grimmspeed gasket and no donut where it mates to the stock mid pipe.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Dont forget that physics apply to Subarus and AWD too. You still have to turn and stop and Ive seen plenty of them in the ditch. I would also get steel rims with winter tires if your budget allows. This will be my first winter with an AWD car so we will see. My truck was a beast but for financial reasons I had to sell it. I went with a Subaru so I would still be safe in the snow, hope Im not disappointed. Be smart and drive safe!

Dont forget that physics apply to Subarus and AWD too. You still have to turn and stop and Ive seen plenty of them in the ditch. I would also get steel rims with winter tires if your budget allows. This will be my first winter with an AWD car so we will see. My truck was a beast but for financial reasons I had to sell it. I went with a Subaru so I would still be safe in the snow, hope Im not disappointed. Be smart and drive safe!

It's all in the tires.

My Outback came with really crappy all-seasons from the dealer (CPO). Friends RAV-4 with dedicated snow tires was significantly better in the snow. I got stuck in his driveway. He drove out like it was no problem.

As long as you have decent tires, you won't be disappointed. I think the type of snow plays a role in if you need dedicated snow tires or good all-seasons. I am not familiar enough with the different areas to have a recommendation though.

I just know in Tahoe, even on good all-seasons (for the time), my Outback was still not as safe to drive as a Rav-4 with snow tires.

Tires tires tires. I recall a Car and Driver test where they found that a RWD car on snow tires would outperform an AWD car on all-seasons when it came to snow and ice.

Depending on conditions, you may want to go with wheels that are skinnier than stock. They concentrate the car's weight over a smaller area, which helps with traction on snow and ice, though it's worse for tarmac.

Cool guys thanks. The first things will be heavy duty wipers, yellow fog lights, and high flow cat and stage two tune, and then maybe snow tires. I have great four season goodyears but I I can find a set of wheels and tires at a bargain I'll grab those too.

Thank you all so much!

Tires tires tires. I recall a Car and Driver test where they found that a RWD car on snow tires would outperform an AWD car on all-seasons when it came to snow and ice.

Depending on conditions, you may want to go with wheels that are skinnier than stock. They concentrate the car's weight over a smaller area, which helps with traction on snow and ice, though it's worse for tarmac.

Tires, tires, tires, as many above have said already. Here's a similar video:

Max capacity, do you have a set of good all seasons you recommend? I want to get some new wheels and tires for mine before winter and I would like some feedback on the boards recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Archived