LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

My Preg. Wife had a tire blowout late last night. On the same dam wheel that was leaking from Day 1 since I bought it. Taking wife to work in Tyson, VA then to Frederick, MD. I have access to my friend shop and my friend is placing an order for a tire with Tire World. Should get it before noon today.

My Preg. Wife had a tire blowout late last night. On the same dam wheel that was leaking from Day 1 since I bought it. Taking wife to work in Tyson, VA then to Frederick, MD. I have access to my friend shop and my friend is placing an order for a tire with Tire World. Should get it before noon today.

Bummer. And the worst part, if you want to do it right you'll need 4 new tires.

Seriously considering selling my legacy. The shimmy on top of the leaking timing chain cover, just bums me out. There is no way any dealer would fix my shimmy at no charge considering its 8 years old. Maybe a trade up to a used 2016 Legacy.

Seriously considering selling my legacy. The shimmy on top of the leaking timing chain cover, just bums me out. There is no way any dealer would fix my shimmy at no charge considering its 8 years old. Maybe a trade up to a used 2016 Legacy.

For the shimmy, use as it a good excuse to upgrade to some Koni dampers and your choice of springs.

For the shimmy, use as it a good excuse to upgrade to some Koni dampers and your choice of springs.

Do new struts (inserts) really fix the issue? I have not read read that yet. :spin: I'd rather stay stock height.

Edited by raider600

I do believe that there was a recall or TSB regarding the shimmy, especially considering yours is a 2010. I don't think that should affect your ability to have the dealership take care of it just because it's a bit older now. The recall/TSB should still be valid.

I do believe that there was a recall or TSB regarding the shimmy, especially considering yours is a 2010. I don't think that should affect your ability to have the dealership take care of it just because it's a bit older now. The recall/TSB should still be valid.

Well they might do it, but not for free. It won't be cheap. How much $ am I going to put into this stupid car? :lol::spin:

It was never a recall, only a TSB. They only did the TSB free of charge during the warranty period. A recall they would for free because it would be deemed a safety issue. You're SOL. Start making some suspension improvements and that should lessen it if you choose the right ones. Hell, it may even go away, and you'll love your car more with a better suspension. Edited by GTEASER

Do new struts (inserts) really fix the issue? I have not read read that yet. :spin: I'd rather stay stock height.

I have read that it does, but I don't have any 1st hand experience with that problem as I have owned 2x 2012's which don't have the shimmy. If you want stock height use 13/14 Legacy OEM springs.

Did you ever fork out for roadforce balance or confirm it's not the wheels or tires? If you got a new set of wheels/tires, I bet she'll ride like a dream.

Just replace (1) tire since all (4) were replace back in Nov/Dec. They found a Drywall screw and I manage to snap (2) wheel studs cross from each other while take the spare off. I remember the last shop used a impact gun and probably cross-thread it. I'm going back to the shop after work to get the wheel studs and wheel nut replaced.

At this point we don't know what caused the blowout. Was it the drywall screw or a defective tire? All I know it had 32psi in that tire.

13207032_IMG_2146-half.thumb.jpg.ba6f71c83035f79d888883ad63c0df84.jpg

Did you ever fork out for roadforce balance or confirm it's not the wheels or tires? If you got a new set of wheels/tires, I bet she'll ride like a dream.

Dealer did a regular balance on all 4 tires. He gave me some excuse as to why I shouldn't get a roadforce. I can't remember what he said. I guess I could put the rears on the front and see what happens. But the tires are fairly new.

Dealer did a regular balance on all 4 tires. He gave me some excuse as to why I shouldn't get a roadforce. I can't remember what he said. I guess I could put the rears on the front and see what happens. But the tires are fairly new.

Go to another dealership and get one. I'm being serious :spin:

I literally had the same issue when they did a regular balance at two different tire shops, with A/S's and a new set of winter tires. Twice the same issue with the same set. Conrad's was one of them. Went to Conrad's to have them mount Michelin's on my new Enkei's and she rode like a dream at highway speeds. It's those stock wheels. They bend in mysterious ways.

Has anyone had their center support bearing go or the bushing wear out? I have been having a bit of a thunk and thud feeling sometimes under hard acceleration from a stop, I thought at first maybe the rear diff supports may be worn or had come loose since I did the inserts. But when I did my brakes I checked it all out and couldn't find anything loose, but the center support bearing feels like it has a lot of movement inside the rubber bushing. Is there an upgraded part for this?

I maybe do the trans mount as well when I have the time and money set aside, heck maybe all the mounts...any ideas?

Has anyone had their center support bearing go or the bushing wear out? I have been having a bit of a thunk and thud feeling sometimes under hard acceleration from a stop, I thought at first maybe the rear diff supports may be worn or had come loose since I did the inserts. But when I did my brakes I checked it all out and couldn't find anything loose, but the center support bearing feels like it has a lot of movement inside the rubber bushing. Is there an upgraded part for this?

I maybe do the trans mount as well when I have the time and money set aside, heck maybe all the mounts...any ideas?

Didn't touch the support bearing, but I changed the transmission cradle bushings to energy suspension poly bushings. I did the bushings and the group n transmission mount all at once.

When I had my driveshaft made for the transmission swap they were able to get that part from their supplier. They ended up using a typical u joint though instead of the funky setup we have stock as it was a much stronger setup. I am sure you could take yours to a driveshaft shop to have it replaced. Mine had a ton of play when I took it apart as well. Here is a pic of teh two side by side.

driveshaft.jpg.1f07a9bb9877e5dbd184b32ce6b1263a.jpg

I was out and about today and was going into a shop when I saw a 5th Gen Legacy driving up the road towards me. Didn't really notice until it was close, but it was a 5th Gen wagon...looked like our 2012 grill...car is metallic dark grey and super clean....as it went past I spotted dual exhausts but no sign of a hood scoop or inter-cooler....did not have a 3.6R badge either. As usual I was too slow grabbing my phone to get a few pics.

One of the service techs at my dealership says there are a few around....brought in from Europe or Asia....this one was LHD so probably not from Asia.

I am not generally a wagon fan, but I could definitely get used to one of those babies ;)