LegacyGT.com

New software installed at dealer for 21 XT

I know there has been a few threads that touch on this on this and some speculation as to who will do what and what it may include. Since I have new info, I thought I would throw out a thread.

I called the dealer and they did say they had a new update and to come on down....They typically do all updates for customers per request.

It installed in about 30 minutes.

And woo-hoo look what showed up on the home screen. I am still experimenting as the dealer did not have a detailed write up on changes.

20201215_123837_resized.thumb.jpg.b211f1df7f75f1fab6d9aaf33a144fff.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I'm told the DSP and other things such as CarPlay, Microphone as well as the start/stop button was changed. Quite a few things on the tech bulletin. There is some info out there if you Google Subaru Product Campaign WRI 20. Its a recall so everyone will get notified and elect to have the dealer do it if you like. I'm liking this immediately.....

Magnetite TXT- Dealer did mention some fixes to screen and audio quality....

BTW, this was super easy. Dealer did not even pull the car in. Just plugged in a flash and 20 min later I was outta there.

Edited by Ronin3.6R

Absolutely. They most likely have multiple ratings and/or testing results based on this feature being active. However you have to place your hand an inch from the "button" to shift out of park so now it is pretty much automatic. Most times I turn it off but not always as it is not that annoying depending on the trip.

I wonder if that button is re-programmable? I just saw a close up of the Levorg's radio and they have the Navigation button in place of the Auto Stop Start.

The start/stop icon is on the other side by the car icon. Where your screen shot shows te Nav icon mine is blank ..... Never saw a icon there on any model...

After speaking with a friend with an Outback, he told me he did the firmware update himself withe the help of a post on another forum. This morning I download the files to my PC, unzipped and transferred them to a blank USB drive and installed the update. Took about 10 minutes total to do the update, but there are reports of this taking up to 30 mins. Per suggestions of others, before I started I turned off Bluetooth on my phone and plugged the USB key into the right USB port. After that I put into dealer mode per the pdf service bulletin and downloaded the update to the screen.

There are six different firmware updates, three for 2020 and three for 2021. For each model year you have to pick what nav unit you have, Base for dual screens, MID for 11.6" touchscreen WITHOUT nav, and HIGH for 11.6" touchscreen WITH nav.

Below the firmware options on the forum post is the pdf of the current service bulletin from Subaru. It explains the step by step process to install. At the end of it it describes the four updates this provides: a fix for the microphone level indicator being off, update to the voice recognition system to recognize short words such as "yes", freezing/rebooting issues for Android and the most important, putting the auto start/stop function on the main screen. Also there are reports that the sound and subwoofer bass seems to have changed a touch.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/2020-outback-software-gigathread.517684/post-6046741

I had mine updated today while getting an oil change. The S/S seems to stay off much longer than before. I rarely got it to stay off more than 15 seconds. Today after i got home, it stayed off for atleast 2 minutes. That was my main reason for hating it, because it would stop the engine only to restart before the light was green, no matter what i did.

Also i had an issue with my lane centering where it would jerk to the right if i had it in the far left of the lane almost causing a crash. Not sure if something reset or there was a fix, but i couldn't reproduce this issue anymore.

With the fixes to the infotainment in the last year there isn't much to complain about anymore. The last thing on my list is the phone pairing issue, but i now know i can just plug it into the usb port and the pairing fixes itself.

I wonder if that button is re-programmable? I just saw a close up of the Levorg's radio and they have the Navigation button in place of the Auto Stop Start.

The start/stop icon is on the other side by the car icon. Where your screen shot shows te Nav icon mine is blank ..... Never saw a icon there on any model...

The button is in the correct location, but I understand the confusion if you have never heard of the Levorg. The new Levorg is currently a Japanese market only Subaru and is only offered in right hand drive. If Subaru ever offered the new Levorg as a left hand drive model, then the button will move to the left.

Levorg-Radio3.jpg.4be21cdf892905a10c12f269079da9fa.jpg

Edited by laufu
Added Levorg Picture

for anyone who has gotten this update do u see an option to customize icon colors? i requested this and they said they would put something in there. i got tired of purple radio buttons.
Don't think there is such a function, yet.

I just updated mine, was way easier than I thought, dealers must be total muppets to screw those updates up.

Hardest part was to get that thing into "dealer mode" lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Also i had an issue with my lane centering where it would jerk to the right if i had it in the far left of the lane almost causing a crash. Not sure if something reset or there was a fix, but i couldn't reproduce this issue anymore.

My car does this too. It doesn’t seem like I’m too far to the left but at times I have to fight the car from propelling me to the right. Which is exactly what happens if I release the steering wheel suddenly.

The car stays centered if left to it’s own devices which obviously doesn’t last long. After 11,000 miles I still haven’t figured out a way to comfortably hold the wheel, but loose enough to let the car self center.

My car does this too. It doesn’t seem like I’m too far to the left but at times I have to fight the car from propelling me to the right. Which is exactly what happens if I release the steering wheel suddenly.

The car stays centered if left to it’s own devices which obviously doesn’t last long. After 11,000 miles I still haven’t figured out a way to comfortably hold the wheel, but loose enough to let the car self center.

That is how i would describe it. Has yours always done that? Mine started after the 504 update. Not sure if that was a coincidence or not. But when i took it in for this update, they couldn't reproduce it so i took it out with the service advisor and i couldn't make it happen anymore. So hopefully it is resolved. The first time it happened the car next to me thought i was going to hit it and had to swerve. Ever since i have been afraid to use it.

Hey jbahlman and Blackbr

There is a setting in the Car Settings/Eyesight that says Select Drive on Left/Drive on Right. Did you try changing it from Right Lane to Left Lane or visa versa?

I hadn't seen that before, i just assumed that lane centering would center it.

I will see if changing it makes a difference on where it goes in the lane.

Ideally i would like it to actually center it in the lane instead of being noticeably to one side or the other.

After speaking with a friend with an Outback, he told me he did the firmware update himself withe the help of a post on another forum. This morning I download the files to my PC, unzipped and transferred them to a blank USB drive and installed the update. Took about 10 minutes total to do the update, but there are reports of this taking up to 30 mins. Per suggestions of others, before I started I turned off Bluetooth on my phone and plugged the USB key into the right USB port. After that I put into dealer mode per the pdf service bulletin and downloaded the update to the screen.

There are six different firmware updates, three for 2020 and three for 2021. For each model year you have to pick what nav unit you have, Base for dual screens, MID for 11.6" touchscreen WITHOUT nav, and HIGH for 11.6" touchscreen WITH nav.

Below the firmware options on the forum post is the pdf of the current service bulletin from Subaru. It explains the step by step process to install. At the end of it it describes the four updates this provides: a fix for the microphone level indicator being off, update to the voice recognition system to recognize short words such as "yes", freezing/rebooting issues for Android and the most important, putting the auto start/stop function on the main screen. Also there are reports that the sound and subwoofer bass seems to have changed a touch.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/2020-outback-software-gigathread.517684/post-6046741

Any info if the Speed Volume Control and other audio controls under Vocal Image Control were reinstated on the Harman Kardon system with this update? Subaru Canada doesn't answer my e-mails...

• 2 weeks later...