LegacyGT.com

tow hitch receiver

I haven't been able to get an answer as to why, but I have confirmed from multiple sources that the Outback is rated for towing, but the 7th Gen Legacy is not. I'm wondering if it is because the mounting points for the hitch would be too low on the Legacy but not on the Outback since it is higher off the ground. Just a guess.

'21 Limited XT

Subaru Ambassador since 2015

What I can say about this is because the springs in the back will not hold the load. My springs gave out because I put a lot of weight in the trunk and it sunk the springs. So I put the Outback springs on the Legacy in the back. Now I can tell you the car drives better and handles the corners a lot better too.

What I can say about this is because the springs in the back will not hold the load. My springs gave out because I put a lot of weight in the trunk and it sunk the springs. So I put the Outback springs on the Legacy in the back. Now I can tell you the car drives better and handles the corners a lot better too.

Interesting! Does it sit any higher in the back with the OB springs?

'21 Limited XT

Interesting! Does it sit any higher in the back with the OB springs?

Yes, it does set higher or can I say it sits the way it should be sitting.

The car now has the same clearance from finder to wheel in the front and back.

I will take a picture and post it here for you.

The other thing is the car handles so much better and going over bumps the car is more in control.

Here is a side view of the car.

[ATTACH]293003[/ATTACH]

That does look really good! I know you said it handles better, but is the ride any harsher when cruising around?

'21 Limited XT

That does look really good! I know you said it handles better, but is the ride any harsher when cruising around?

The ride is a lot better. Before when you would go thru a bump the front would handle it great and the back would be like you had no or week shocks. Now the car movie up and down together. I think its a smother ride. The only thing I notice that is more harsh is going over speed bumps.

Edited by rockier

that looks good! With the new rear coils and a 2 trans cooler. I should be able to pull a light classic car 1250 lbs then?

I would think you should be able to tow or pull what ever the Outback can do. Other then the body the rest of the car are the same.

I now can put over 200 lbs in the trunk and there is no or little sagging in the back.

I think with the extra weight it may ride a little better too.

The ride is a lot better. Before when you would go thru a bump the front would handle it great and the back would be like you had no or week shocks. Now the car movie up and down together. I think its a smother ride. The only thing I notice that is more harsh is going over speed bumps.

Do you, by chance, have the part numbers for the Outback rear springs?

'21 Limited XT

Do you, by chance, have the part numbers for the Outback rear springs?

I believe the part number the shop used is 20380AN01A. I know from the Legacy one to Outback was one number in the part number.

I did a look and the Outback Coil Spring is 20380AN01A and the Legacy one is 20380AN00A

Edited by rockier

I believe the part number the shop used is 20380AN01A. I know from the Legacy one to Outback was one number in the part number.

I did a look and the Outback Coil Spring is 20380AN01A and the Legacy one is 20380AN00A

Thanks! Those don't look too pricey at all! Did you need to do anything in terms of longer brake lines or anything like that?

'21 Limited XT

Thanks! Those don't look too pricey at all! Did you need to do anything in terms of longer brake lines or anything like that?

No, I had a Subaru upgrade shop here in town and I watch them and all they did was removed the struts or shocks and changed the spring on them and put them back. It took them about 40 mins. to do the job. I think I paid them $260.00. That was for the springs and to put them in.

• 6 months later...
I want to do the Outback rear spring swap to my 2019 Legacy and have a chance to buy a full set (front & rear).

Is there a benefit to also swapping out the fronts as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, the front ones are the same as in the Outback. There would not be any improvements on the change. I am not sure you can do that to a 2019 because in 2020 they changed the frame system in the Legacy and outback to be the same frame or base. the difference is they put a 2" left on the outback.

Here is great information on the changes. https://www.autoblog.com/2020/04/01/2020-subaru-outback-suspension-deep-dive/