LegacyGT.com

2013 Subaru Legacy Sport Engine Issues

Ok, if someone can point me in the right direction or answer the question I would greatly appreciate it. I did search but maybe my terms are off as I am way off as of lately due to all the issues I have been having with my Legacy.

I have a 2013 Subaru Legacy Sport with the 2.5 non turbo engine. I have had several different issues, most recently they replaced the transmission at 99k miles. This Subaru has been burning oil since 40k, the dealership always said it was within spec, I never thought it was... My sister-in-law purchased a 2016 and she is hitting 80k and has never added any oil to it. So now to the question at hand, if I find a 2016 motor, can I swap it out and all the sensors and what not into my car? I just got off the phone with Subaru and supposedly this engine was only put on 2013's and I know of a few other '13 Legacy owners with this same problem. Subaru says sorry you are SOL, you are over 100k and won't touch it so now I turn to the real professionals of the Subaru world.... The car is the wife's so I meticulously maintain it because she won't and I don't want it to leave her stranded....

Sorry for being long winded or leaving any pertinent info out, if there is anything else you need to know please let me know.

2013 was the first year the FB25 was in the Legacy - should have the same thing in the 2014. The FB25 is in all the 2.5 Legacy and Outback models from 2013 on, but I imagine there are changes... So is the engine running properly, just using oil? I think they say anything less than 1 quart in 1k miles is "normal" (though that's a lot of oil!) - how do the plugs look when you pull them? are they getting fouled?

When you look up the short block for the 2013, it says it fits 2013-2016 and the heads are listed for 2013-2014, so there may be different sensors or something like that... when the service manuals come out, there is usually a section on "what's new" from the previous year - I have the one for my 2012, but haven't seen it for other years... Anyway - the info on parts.subaru.com certainly suggests you could at the very least get a known good short block and put the existing heads on it... (the oil usage is piston rings, I believe, so a new bottom end should solve the problem) - if it's still running fine, though, you can buy an awful lot of oil for what its going to cost to replace the short block - even with used parts and on your own time...

1 quart in 1k is "normal" dang.... I first replaced them at 50, then 90, now I'm changing them ever 25k because they are getting bad, that is why I'm going to replace the valve gasket again. I think I did that at either 90 or 105k, I don't recall, I just remember it wasn't fun. Right now it's missing so I replaced the plugs on Monday now it's misfiring on 3 cylinder so I ordered a coil pack. Just this engine has been a ton of work and like I say I really don't trust it anymore, I'm probably adding 1qt every other fill up and I usually fill up at 1/4 tank...

So that is less than that is "normal". If I can find a block from a '16, I wouldn't mind spending the time fixing that one up... I have a friend that got an '18 Outback for $1,200 and gets deals like that all the time. It's totaled but for that price it didn't seem like a lot of work other than the rear end....

I've been buying a lot of oil, I believe it is the pistons going bad, I replaced my harmonic and all the pulleys because they aren't like how they should be and another guy told me the harmonic is in line with the pistons and if the pistons aren't shooting straight they throw off the harmonic if I recall correctly...

We get feet of snow and love the way it drives in the snow, i am really just disappointed with both Subaru Service centers in my area, I had told them several times and they never "officially" documented it even when I paid one of them $160 to pour UV oil in there and tell me it wasn't leaking. I knew it wasn't leaking because it's burning...

1 quart in 1k is "normal" dang.... I first replaced them at 50, then 90, now I'm changing them ever 25k because they are getting bad, that is why I'm going to replace the valve gasket again. I think I did that at either 90 or 105k, I don't recall, I just remember it wasn't fun. Right now it's missing so I replaced the plugs on Monday now it's misfiring on 3 cylinder so I ordered a coil pack. Just this engine has been a ton of work and like I say I really don't trust it anymore, I'm probably adding 1qt every other fill up and I usually fill up at 1/4 tank...

So that is less than that is "normal". If I can find a block from a '16, I wouldn't mind spending the time fixing that one up... I have a friend that got an '18 Outback for $1,200 and gets deals like that all the time. It's totaled but for that price it didn't seem like a lot of work other than the rear end....

I've been buying a lot of oil, I believe it is the pistons going bad, I replaced my harmonic and all the pulleys because they aren't like how they should be and another guy told me the harmonic is in line with the pistons and if the pistons aren't shooting straight they throw off the harmonic if I recall correctly...

We get feet of snow and love the way it drives in the snow, i am really just disappointed with both Subaru Service centers in my area, I had told them several times and they never "officially" documented it even when I paid one of them $160 to pour UV oil in there and tell me it wasn't leaking. I knew it wasn't leaking because it's burning...

If you replace the motor, you can get an engine from a 2014 CVT Legacy (which when Subaru fixed it the issue), it probably be straight bolt it vs you have to compare part on 15/16. Also if you have the mechanical ability (& time), a new short block is about $1800 from Subaru, you can probably assembly it for $2500 with gaskets.

So the car passed the oil consumption test? Some on here made sure to witness the dipstick reading at the start of the test to make sure it wasn’t overfilled. Crazy they didn’t fix it for you while it was covered.

Anyway, here is the bulletin that lists the cars covered by the oil consumption extended warranty and it indicates the 2014s were also susceptible to the issue, is there a build date for 2014s after which the issue was fixed?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10120985-9999.pdf

So the car passed the oil consumption test? Some on here made sure to witness the dipstick reading at the start of the test to make sure it wasn’t overfilled. Crazy they didn’t fix it for you while it was covered.

Anyway, here is the bulletin that lists the cars covered by the oil consumption extended warranty and it indicates the 2014s were also susceptible to the issue, is there a build date for 2014s after which the issue was fixed?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10120985-9999.pdf

Look at the chart further down in that document. It lists only the 2014 6MT as being affected. They actually say not all 2013 Legacy are affected either, but its seem like most them (048086 and below)

Now this really gets me upset because when the transmission was replaced, they could have replaced the motor also.... SMH, my buddy found a '16 engine and we are going to take it out probably this weekend to see if it lines up and everything matches.... ugh I'm really pissed off with Subaru

That’s frustrating, some service departments outright suck. If you have documentation that you took it in for the concern and it was ignored, call Subaru corporate and open a case: 800-782-2783 CustDlrServices@subaru.com

Maybe you can get them to kick in towards the repair.

We did the same thing for my 2013 Legacy when it needed a $4000 repair at only 85k miles while under the original warranty (all engine seals were replaced along with many other things). Subaru Of America payed for the whole thing, and then we sold the car right after.

That’s frustrating, some service departments outright suck. If you have documentation that you took it in for the concern and it was ignored, call Subaru corporate and open a case: 800-782-2783 CustDlrServices@subaru.com

Maybe you can get them to kick in towards the repair.

I did do that and they have washed my hands of me because the car is over 100k. Subaru has no love for vehicles over 100k!

I have around 114k on my 2013 2.5i prem. I have no issue. I loose about a quart of oil around 5-6k miles. CVT trans running good (I was smart I changed the CVT fluid at 60k) front and rear diff every 40-50k.

I'm just waiting for a vehicle to reach the USA and that's when I will part ways from Subaru. Don't get me wrong it's a perfect snow/winter vehicle but I'm not looking forward for future major repair like headgasket, etc. When they come up.