LegacyGT.com

Anyone familiar with Defi racer gauges?

I came across a Defi white racer boost gauge (new and never installed) for a good price and picked it up. Have it all wired in and had a question about the dimming functionality - do Defi racer gauges just have two brightness levels - full bright for daytime, then a single dimmed setting for dimming? I have searched around a bit and have found folks that say there are 2 levels, and folks that say their gauge "dims perfectly" which could mean it dims when the headlights are on, or that it dims, and adjusts with the dimmer switch...

Currently I grab B+ and ACC from the fuse box with add-a-fuse things, then I have the illumination lead tied to the violet wire (grabbed the one going to the parking brake illumination since I had a harness I made and could splice into that instead of factory wiring)

So is this the correct behavior? I believe some of the fancier Defi gauges behave similarly, but you can adjust the level from the control unit (which the racer gauges obviously don't have)

No - while the Advance series gauges require a separate control unit (which allows you to adjust the illumination intensity for bright/dim for some of those gauges), the racer series gauges are standalone units - there is no control unit. There are no buttons/switches on the gauge, either - you have switched power, constant power, ground, and illumination. As far as I can tell, when it sees voltage above some threshold on the illumination lead, the gauge flips from the day setting to a dimmed/night setting. Others I have reached out to indicate that there are only two settings, daytime (full bright) and night (dimmed to maybe 30-40% of the day brightness) - I was trying to see if there was something I was doing wrong that was yielding the 2 stage bright/dim instead of dimming with the dimmer.