LegacyGT.com

satellite radio antenna terrible?

I have a 2013 Legacy 25i Premium that I bought used last year. The satellite radio antenna is inside on the windshield, which the manual confirms is the factory install. The reception is very spotty compared to an older, cheaper car I previously had with satellite radio and a "sharkfin" antenna on the roof. The manual also says the reception will fail if I'm driving away from the satellite, and actually it is much worse than that. The dealer says the antenna is working as it should. But, really, it's very unsatisfactory. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and has anyone found a solution for it?

If I get a magnet /exterior antenna that attaches through the insulation of the windshield, or however that would work will that improve reception? I've been advised a sharkfin cannot be retrofitted (they make ones that go over a stick-handle radio antenna, but not a situation like this, from from I understand). Any input welcome, thanks

Sounds like you have the Subaru "accessory" satelite radio add on. Part number H621SAJ100 for 2010-2014. Likely dealer or port installed.

I would Google the install instructions and see if the tuner box has a standard XM/Sirius antenna plug on it. If it does, you could add an external magnet mount antenna.

My 2011 with nav has the shark fin.

Yes NVAKeith, great info. what you suggest doing is what a custom audio dealer just said they could do, and likely I will do it. I was wondering why many other Subarus as old or older than mine have the sharkfin, you just explained it to me. Thanks !

Capttris, does your 2013 Limited have the nav system? NVAKeith's response makes me think

they were putting the sharkfin on models with navigation at that time. don't know about now. Kind of cheap of them considering Iknow Hyundais had sharkfins pretty much standard since 2009! Thanks for your response.

Here's the update;

Whatever Subaru antenna I have, don't know whether it's the part NVAKeith referred to, the Audio installer said a magnetic exterior aftermarket antenna does not fit the connector for the Subaru Satellite radio receiver in the dash. So all he could do was move the existing antenna to the front of the dashboard, so it is not being blocked by the roof the way it was being up at the top of the windshield, where the roof could interfere with satellite signal.. It is an improvement in reception, but not as good as I was hoping for. I'll go with it for a couple of weeks and see if it is good enough to live with. Thanks to all who responded!

On my Garmin Zumo GPS W/Nav I often have to call the sat provider while im riding , needless to say its a real pain . Occasionally I have spotty reception in my 14 legacy limited , then I call my Sat provider and tell them the problem and they ask the most Stupid Questions , So I give them A stupid answer !

Moving the antennas from the windshield to the dashboard top, BTW seems only to have made the problems more frequent and sustained. Following my interactions with Sirius XM (refreshed signal twice) I spoke to their tech support and it was suggested that the chip in the module/receiver itself needs replacing by the dealer, who would have to communicate with Sirius because that would necessitate a new ID for their signal. SO I guess that's next step. Thanks again for reading and responding!

Assuming you are out of warranty I was going to suggest buying a new XM accessory kit and installing it yourself to save some $, but I see the install kit is $300. If the dealer can replace just a part of the kit then it may be cheaper to have them fix it.

• 5 weeks later...
The antenna connector on the OEM sat radio tuner box is just an SMB connector inside a FAKRA shroud. You can find a FAKRA-to-plain SMB adapter that will allow you to connect an aftermarket magnet mount sat antenna to put on your roof.

Apparently I can only replace the module (the kit includes the antenna) The old module has been discontinued and new Subaru part supercedes it. Old part: H621SAJ000 New part H621SAJ100. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is the new part truly an upgrade? Or just a new part #?

Yesterday I got the Sirius aftermarket antenna installed, connected to the Subaru Satellite module with the SMB male/male adaptor. One day of driving reveals the dropouts are much worse! The roof-mounted antenna fails to maintain signal even more than the Subaru windshield mounted one. I did refresh the signal. I am at a loss. Again, the dealer has diagnosed the satellite module and asserts that it works. Is there something I'm missing?

Archived