LegacyGT.com

ActiveOBD for Android (free, ad-based software for Subarus)

Recently found this while browsing some Forester and Outback forums.

I can confirm it works as expected for 5th gen Legacies, 2015+ WRX, 2014+ FXT and a 2013 XV.

ActiveOBD for Subaru's (for Android) - originally released early 2015

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.activeobd.app&hl=en

Should work for all recent/current-gen Subarus (Denso and Hitachi ECU/TCUs).

So effectively 4th-6th gen Legacies, 3rd-5th gen Outbacks, recent/current-gen Foresters, Imprezas, XV/Crosstreks, BRZs, etc.

This app might be particularly useful for anyone with a 4EAT/5EAT or CVT/HTCVT as the app allows for monitoring and logging ATF/CVT Temp (the sensor is typically in the valve body) and degradation % (Subaru's own algorithm based on historical data the TCU saves in memory and a static factor they program in at the factory).

As the title implies, ActiveOBD is Subaru-specific and supports a bunch of interesting fields (ATF/CVT Temp, Manifold Temp, ATF/CVT Degradation %, ATF/CVT Learning Flag) and the more typical SSM fields such as IAM (DAM), FLKC, Total Timing, Learned Timing, Battery Voltage, Catalyst inlet Temp, etc.

Best of all it's free (somewhat annoying ad banners show up at the bottom), but interestingly enough it allows for some SSM (or perhaps E-OBDII) fields to be displayed and logged from both the ECU and TCU concurrently! And on top of that, it does this without a need for the more expensive Tactrix OP v2 cable or ODBKey dongles... most ELM327 bluetooth or wifi dongles will do.

This is a great starting place for anyone who wants to experiment with monitoring or logging, without doing a deep dive into BtSsm, RomRaider, EcuEdit, Cobb's AccessPort (if supported).

I'd skip FreeSsm as its abandon-ware and deprecated at this point.

Besides the free app (which you can use to see what fields work for your specific car),

the developer has also created a paid plug-in for Torque Pro which accomplishes the same.

ActiveOBD TQ (Torque Pro Plugin) - released March 2016

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.activeobd.tq&hl=en

For anyone already using Torque Pro, you can pickup the ActiveOBD plugin and integrate these Subaru specific fields into Torque's list of generic OBDII fields. Speaking of Torque, it now also support SSM protocol handling and can be enriched with custom E-OBDII fields and potentially SSM fields as well. Adding them might prove tricky though (E-OBDII fields not well defined for Subaru's, many of the better/higher-precision SSM fields are often ECUID specific, for the standard ones - not sure how they would be added).

0.png.797fd1dba960d703567ba62da7736cda.png

1.thumb.png.355fb75853864bba16543a25cbc042c8.png

2.png.55c0c46e1eb524fca4e6751b5e869480.png

4.thumb.jpg.d35aeb10f407c6d75fec21fda10052bd.jpg

5.jpg.d703d92a77b9917e0b132da63317e37e.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.9e120df66ee2c43e393344c1d5bb5fa7.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.1e1a31bf12de7ce10d99cc2de429e539.jpg

I downloaded the app to my LG G4 and ordered one of the recommended OBD2 Bluetooth plug-ins from Amazon. Can't wait to try this out. I've been wanting a way to look at some stuff as well as check for codes and clear them for a while now.

Thanks for the post!

• 1 year later...

Archived