LegacyGT.com

Surges forward when i turn engine off.

I have a 1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon, EJ22 engine, Auto Transmission.

It surges forward after i shut the engine off, this happens after driving for 2 miles or 200 miles, it always does it.

Any ideas why this happens? :confused:

you have torque bind. do a search and you will find a ton of info.

note:

1/ shift to N and wait before you shift to P to shut it off.

2/ test drive the car in slow tight circles on dry pavement and report back.

3/ put a fuse, any fuse, in the FWD holder under the hood on the passenger side near the fire wall and the wiper motor. problem gone?

4/ all of your tires should be the same brand, tread, size, inflation and wear. they should all be with in 1/4 inch in circumference (not diameter). mis-matched tires can cause binding.

Yeah, I just went through the whole torque bind ritual on my 96 and after ALL the cussin and kickin, it turned out that John's item #4 was the culprit. Even though all 4 tires were the same size, two were from a different manufacturer. I even did a crude diameter measurement which showed that the tires were the same approximate diameter, but it wasn't until I did a rolling circumference measurement that John noticed that my tires were way off.

I swapped the two "smaller" tires to the right side and torque bind is gone.

Tom

Well, i installed the fuse for the FWD, still have the problem. I did notice that all 4 tires are the same size but, the rear passenger tire is not the same brand or tread as the other three. I think i'll get 4 new tires today. The tread is about less than a 1/4" on the two front and i have about a 1/4" tread on the back.

Well, i installed the fuse for the FWD, still have the problem. I did notice that all 4 tires are the same size but, the rear passenger tire is not the same brand or tread as the other three. I think i'll get 4 new tires today. The tread is about less than a 1/4" on the two front and i have about a 1/4" tread on the back.

I'll keep you posted after the new tires are installed. Thanks for your help.

You need to buy it from the dealer. If I remember correctly, it cost somewhere just a bit north of $100. Sometimes you can find them on eBay cheaper.

The duty-C is what controls the center differential clutch. It causes plenty of different binding issues when it fails.

It is located in the tail end of the transmission.

http://i46.tinypic.com/352rb0l.jpg

You need to buy it from the dealer. If I remember correctly, it cost somewhere just a bit north of $100. Sometimes you can find them on eBay cheaper.

The duty-C is what controls the center differential clutch. It causes plenty of different binding issues when it fails.

It is located in the tail end of the transmission.

http://i46.tinypic.com/352rb0l.jpg

I'm being told that it's a good idea to replace the AWD clutch discs too while they are in there. What do you think??

Archived