LegacyGT.com

Help! Lack of power

:( I have noticed that when i start my 1999 subaru Legacy L Wagon first thing in the morning, after running just five minutes, if i put it in drive it has some serious hesitation or lack of power, but, when I let the car warm up longer (15min or more) it does not do this. What could this be?? :confused:

Yes, yes! Thanks for your help!! Lets see how long it lasts? The check engine light had been on for about 3 weeks while having the lack of power issue, after 3 weeks the battery light came on too, i replaced the bad alternator and that made all the warning lights go away and the subaru ran like a dream for 2 days after that, then the lack of power and hesitation came back and so did the check engine light, that is when i posted the original message that you replied to. I got some CRC MAF cleaner and all seems okay for now. Thanks again monkeyposeur!

No problem! The reason I thought it was your MAF is that I was having the same issue until last week. But it took me about 10 months to figure it out, lol. That was after replacing all the vacuum lines, air intake, fuel pump, filter, new injectors, ignition coil, multiple boost leak tests, etc. All that stuff needed replacing anyway, but it never fixed the hesitation and lack of power so it was very frustrating. But now I'm psyched!

Cleaning your MAF is just as important as any other maintenance. I clean mine 3 times a year. You would be surprised what can make its way past the air filter. I worked with a guy who thought he was the best diagnostic person on the planet. He requested the customer to replace one thing after another with none of the parts he replaced fixing the issue, then I test drove the car and knew right away the problem. The MAF but it wasn't faulty, when I removed it to clean it I found a small fly stuck to the MAF's needle it got its air readings from. Removed the fly and cleaned it and she ran perfect.

Seafoam in the gas tank... or use my concoction (compliments of SeeeeeeYa). 4oz of Techron Concentrate + 4oz of Marvel Mystery Oil + 4oz of Acetone (total 12oz) and make two 12oz batches. Mix the three items together, and put 12oz it into your full gas tank, drive it until near empty, then add the 2nd 12oz batch and refill your tank. Injectors, combustion chamber, and downstream catalysts will all be cleaned.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Also, you've got the pre-April 99, 30th Anniversary Legacy L, so you do have the MAF and not the post-April 99 MAP sensor. I do recommend installing the grounding mod on your Legacy. I did it on mine and it made a huge difference in how the car drove and shifted (mine was a 4EAT) - both were much, much smoother.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Seafoam in the gas tank... or use my concoction (compliments of SeeeeeeYa). 4oz of Techron Concentrate + 4oz of Marvel Mystery Oil + 4oz of Acetone (total 12oz) and make two 12oz batches. Mix the three items together, and put 12oz it into your full gas tank, drive it until near empty, then add the 2nd 12oz batch and refill your tank. Injectors, combustion chamber, and downstream catalysts will all be cleaned.

This is one of the craziest things I have read.

I'M GOING TO TRY IT >:D

I can see that Acetone really going to work on the carbon buildup!

btw, i used the Seafoam as suggested and WOW! Better performance and cleaner engine too. This stuff really works well!

Archived