LegacyGT.com

5th Gen production numbers.

So, I emailed Subaru the other day and asked for the production numbers for the 5th Gen LGT, this was the response

I received our estimates for you:

2010MY 1400

2011MY 300

2012MY 200

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, was that just USDM? What a drop off to 2012!!!

Who exactly did you contact? I contacted SOA a few months ago with this same question and they sent me this rather generic type "blow me off" email that said they didn't keep model specific numbers, only total MY for the Legacy overall. Didn't even send me a number.

So 1900 total. No wonder we all know each other on the forum. No wonder why they stopped making them. It sucks but that's one of the reasons I love my car. The only other one I've seen is a member on here when we met for lunch. It's sad that taking the gt away suddenly makes them desirable. Reminds me of the supra. They only became valuable after they stopped making them.

If that's correct then wow.

I still see them quite often now. I would say I've seen about 6 different ones around Rochester. Most of them are women in their 50's driving them though. That is besides Rutchard and HERB5T.

I had to go to Bill Rapp in Syracuse NY to get mine, It seemed that he always kept one on the lot. I only found 6 on the east coast when I was looking.

I had to go to Bill Rapp in Syracuse NY to get mine, It seemed that he always kept one on the lot. I only found 6 on the east coast when I was looking.

Yeah mine just happened to be on the lot at Van Bortel here in town. I think it was a car someone ordered and decided not to buy.

I think production numbers would be very hard to figure out. It's not like the S402 where each car has a little plaque on the dash. I highly doubt that all the 2012 GT's were produced simultaneously, so the only way to do it would be to get a list of all the GT VIN numbers. I think the closest we could get is by month.

I remember there was a list a while ago with the prod. # for the '05 LGT and it was broken down into colors, so I'm sure it's not all that involved for Subaru to come up with these figures. Any company can show how much of their product was produced.

Maybe that gal at SOA that you contacted could do a little spreadsheet work and pop some numbers for us with a little more specific information, color, trim level, options, production dates, etc.. Just tell her that there are a whole group of 5th gen LGT enthusiasts out here wanting to know. Gosh, especially us 2011 and 2012 guys. Those are low numbers and we are all sitting on (er, blasting around in) something rare and special. Hit her up for more info, or PM me her email and I would be glad to do it.

I think the problem here was caused by Subaru. They put only manual transmissions in the LGT, but failed to put in springs and shocks to make it drive like a sports sedan. If they had, a lot more buyers would have been impressed. The car could have been a poor man's 5 series. It's faster thaat a 535 twin turbo, and its the only powerful mid sized japanese car that isn't front wheel drive..at least until there is wheel spin. But if they were not going for a performance handling car, they should have given it an Automatic option...that would have sold more cars. I see tons of last gen LGT's and Outbacks with the turbo...almost all are slushboxes.

Makes me wonder if they really just want to simplify the line and just have 2 engines in the Legacy. Probably some car guys inside the company lobbied hard for the turbo...now the money guys can say " see, it didn't sell, so we dropped it."

Also, LGT's were unavailable for most of 2011 because of the earthquake. When I bought my used 2010 in June of 2011, dealers were telling me they could not even order a new 2011. When production ramped up, it would not make sense to build the slow selling Turbos. But then, those slow sales became the excuse for their demise.

At least they built enough for me to get one. And on the used market, they are realy holding their vale. And when I get my Bilstein struts next month, I will have the car Subaru should have been making from day one. If they had built it right back then, they'd still be selling them right now.

I think the problem here was caused by Subaru. They put only manual transmissions in the LGT, but failed to put in springs and shocks to make it drive like a sports sedan. If they had, a lot more buyers would have been impressed. The car could have been a poor man's 5 series. It's faster thaat a 535 twin turbo, and its the only powerful mid sized japanese car that isn't front wheel drive..at least until there is wheel spin. But if they were not going for a performance handling car, they should have given it an Automatic option...that would have sold more cars. I see tons of last gen LGT's and Outbacks with the turbo...almost all are slushboxes.

Makes me wonder if they really just want to simplify the line and just have 2 engines in the Legacy. Probably some car guys inside the company lobbied hard for the turbo...now the money guys can say " see, it didn't sell, so we dropped it."

Also, LGT's were unavailable for most of 2011 because of the earthquake. When I bought my used 2010 in June of 2011, dealers were telling me they could not even order a new 2011. When production ramped up, it would not make sense to build the slow selling Turbos. But then, those slow sales became the excuse for their demise.

At least they built enough for me to get one. And on the used market, they are realy holding their vale. And when I get my Bilstein struts next month, I will have the car Subaru should have been making from day one. If they had built it right back then, they'd still be selling them right now.

How about Subaru supported the Save the manuals campaign by throwing in classes to teach the lazy bas..... umm AT drivers to drive Manuals... serious bonus points with enthusiasts and those afraid to ask/learn...

Good point about the Japanese earthquake. Another issue with it only being available in a standard is that most dealers didn't stock the GT in inventory, so a buyer had search for one or blindly order them with out a test drive.

I think there is a lot of truth to this. Restricting the car to manual only means you are targeting about 10% of the market. While the car was good, it probably wasn't good enough for the % of that market looking for a budget 535i sport. Especially when you have an STi sitting next to it.

And for those wanting to fix the suspension, it's been a long wait.

Archived