LegacyGT.com

Technical Lighting 2015 Legacy Limited

Ok so I have a lighting problem. The problem is that my climate control will just randomly dim the lighting during the day, like it is night time. Sometimes it will come back to normal but usually it does not. It also turns on the orange accent lights as well.

What I have done to try to trouble shoot this problem. I have replaced the sun load sensor (light sensor) with a new one. The main light switch on the steering column has also been replaced with new. I got a working used climate control module and a used dimer switch and replaced both. The problem still exist.

Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing this problem or could provide me with a wiring diagram for the interior lighting of the vehicle.

My vehicle is a 2015 Subaru Legacy Limited with Nav.

Thank you,

Joe

It could just be a faulty climate control display. I would not have just randomly started replacing parts. If the light sensor was bad, then the auto headlights would not come on so that would have ruled that part out. The switch on the steering column I'd have easily ruled that out as well if the exterior lighting is coming on ok. I would have then narrowed it down to the climate unit or the BCM but that's just me;)

My 2016 does the same thing... I have led license plate and marker bulbs. From what I read in another thread this causes it. I never tried to trouble shoot the problem so can't confirm that. Do you have any LED bulbs?

My 2016 does the same thing... I have led license plate and marker bulbs. From what I read in another thread this causes it. I never tried to trouble shoot the problem so can't confirm that. Do you have any LED bulbs?
Yeah that was my post about my LED's going bad possibly shorting out and caused my Climate Control lights to do weird stuff..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So is there some supporting info on what you are saying about the LED bulbs causing this issue. The only reason I say this is because I mentioned this to the dealer when I had it in for service and they said that the LED bulbs should not cause the problem. And if they are causing the problem my next question is why, is it maybe the type of LED bulb or is it possibly the way the power is regulated?

It could just be a faulty climate control display. I would not have just randomly started replacing parts. If the light sensor was bad, then the auto headlights would not come on so that would have ruled that part out. The switch on the steering column I'd have easily ruled that out as well if the exterior lighting is coming on ok. I would have then narrowed it down to the climate unit or the BCM but that's just me;)

Securityguy

I agree with what you are saying. So what prompted the replacement of the main switch is at one point when it was taped / wiggled it made the lights flicker so i though that was the problem. The rest was just a step by step process to see if any of the other parts were bad and they were all used / cheap. The only new one was the Sun Load sensor (light sensor). Also I did replace the complete climate control because you can't just get the display.

Thanks

The only new one was the Sun Load sensor (light sensor). Also I did replace the complete climate control ...

There are two light sensors: 1) the sun load sensor (center dash) used by the climate control system, and 2) a second light sensor (right dash) used to control day/night lighting. They are two completely separate systems.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Do you know what this sensors technical name is and is there a way to test it to see if it is broken before I just replace it?

Its a light sensor, either cover it up when its bright out or flash a bright light on it when its dark out :)

^^^ What he said. The FSM refers to it as the "AUTO LIGHT SENSOR," and it's connected directly to the BIU. (The light sensor used by the climate control system is the "SUNLOAD SENSOR," connected directly to the A/C control module.)

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

... I should not have to worry about that other sensor? Is basically what you are saying?

I said no such thing. I am saying that the "sun load" sensor you replaced has nothing to do with lighting control.

spacer.png

ammcinnis.

and I quote (The light sensor used by the climate control system is the "SUNLOAD SENSOR," connected directly to the A/C control module.) This is the sensor I replaced so therefor I should not have to worry about the other sensor?

Thank you,

ammcinnis.

and I quote (The light sensor used by the climate control system is the "SUNLOAD SENSOR," connected directly to the A/C control module.) This is the sensor I replaced so therefor I should not have to worry about the other sensor?

"There are two light sensors:

1) the sun load sensor (center dash) used by the climate control system, and

2) a second light sensor (right dash) used to control day/night lighting. They are two completely separate systems."

Seems like proper English to me, find and replace the sensor that relates to interior lighting and see if it effects your interior lighting issue.

I guess I can test the other one, but since I am not having an issue with any other lights I don't see how it will affect my climate control.
I would of done the easiest first change out the LEDS back to stock and see if you had the same problem..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
I just saw this with mine today. The only thing I did yesterday was change the HID Bulbs for the headlights, and replace the rear side marker lights with LED's because one of the original lights was burnt out. I had replaced the front side marker lights with LED's months ago and didn't have an issue. Going out in the rain to check out this now.

Nope … it's all back to normal now. The display light/dim for ACC, Clock and Temp was definitely reversed when I turned on and off the lights. First time this has ever happened.

The only other thing today was the car was at the dealer dealing with an on-going alignment issue and they swapped the front tires to cure a left pulling issue. I know they had to re-set the TPMS for this. When I picked got into the car, the Satellite Radio was not on the normal station, it was on FM and took forever to load.

Very strange.

… and I went out in bright sunlight today and the display was back to being reversed. Pissed me off. Swapped the LED's on the rear marker lights back to standard 194's and now it's back to normal.

Not the first time I had issues with LED's on the 2015 3.6R. Swapped out the trunk light to a sweet, bright LED and drained the battery. Swapped LED's and happened again. Quit after the third time! Got a lame-ass dim PIAA standard bulb in there now. No problems since.

Archived