LegacyGT.com

Good Deal on this 05 LGT?

JC 06Z33

Hey guys, I'm about ready to call the dealer on this one.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&listingId=106425503&listingRecNum=2&criteria=prMx%3D10000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D5000%26alMdId%3D21378%26mkId%3D20041%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D21378%26kwm%3DALL%26rd%3D250%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice-pseudoYear-kw%26zc%3D49426%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26yrMn%3D2005%26requestorTrackingInfo%3DRTB_SEARCH%26kw%3DGT%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26yrMx%3D2007%26alMkId%3D20041%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705

It looks like for the miles, it's got a pretty good list price (obv talk them down if possible). The only thing that worries me is that it looks like it has been at least visually modded a bit. I see clear corners in the headlights, debadged in the rear, yellow fogs. The engine by looks like the cover is removed but I have no idea what else to look for in there.

Can any of you see anything that would scare me away? I know buying modded cars is always less optimal than stock, so wanted some expert opinions :) Thanks!

EDIT: sorry, had a bad link.

The price seems pretty good, but make sure you ask about 90k service. You may be able to talk the price down more. Hopefully others will chime in about whether any visible mods to the engine have been done. It seems at this mileage, you want to ask about 90k service (t belt, water pump etc services). If your serious, get a compression and leak down test. I'm sure I'm missing tons more to look for (suspension, turbo, and other "trouble" areas), so hopefully you get more feeback. I bought my 05 LGT with 94k miles with the tbelt and other maintenance NOT done for 11k and feel I didn't get it for low enough after finding this site and doing research.

good luck!

Thanks! I talked to the dealer today and they could only drop it $500 or they would be losing money. I gathered they are a high volume low margin dealer, as it had only been on the lot a week but they called me back with their lowest offer 5 minutes after I hung up.

It's a one owner vehicle with a clean history, they said their standard maintenance and tests all came out fine, but he could not tell me about the timing belt or anything else. It's a 4 hour drive from me, so how would I go about checking those things before the sale?

The timing belt is a 105k maintenance item so it would've been recently done, if its been done. My guess is a quick visual inspection of wear would be easy enough to tell if its a <10k timing belt or a 106k timing belt.

Timing belt service is typically expensive unless you DIY, so its a good deal if its been changed. Also, that will give you a good sense if it was well maintained or not.

Its a turbo so you'll want to make sure the turbo is in decent shape, the 105K or any services have been done and the gearbox isnt/hasnt been abused. 4 hour drive to inspect is worth it b/c if it checks our you 'll have a sleek 05 for a great price if not at least youll gain some knowledge of what to look for that is wrong/worn/broken etc. Maybe plan to do something else in the same general location incase it doesn't meet your standards! For that price, one owner and low miles (for a 8 year old car) looks good!

Great info, appreciate it! I have a heavily modified 350Z, so can wrench a bit, but don't know anything about Subies yet and want this as a DD, not a project ;)

Would it be a good idea to find a shop nearby, or even a Subie dealer, to check on that 105k maintenance stuff for me when I take it for a test drive?

Great info, appreciate it! I have a heavily modified 350Z, so can wrench a bit, but don't know anything about Subies yet and want this as a DD, not a project ;)

Would it be a good idea to find a shop nearby, or even a Subie dealer, to check on that 105k maintenance stuff for me when I take it for a test drive?

Yes if there is a shop in that area they amy be willing to go over the car for a flat rate. My local Subie shop (Mach V) does this for $90. So im sure you can find a competent mechanic that will do it for you.

If you do go out to test drive and dont have a mechanic ask about the dealer mechanic putting it on the lift so you both can go over the car. Example i am in the market my self, went to Carmax b/c a nice LGT showed up (08 Blue) i have a good idea of what to look for so I asked if we could do a pre-purchase inspection (all four corners engine and drive line) so tie rods, shocks etc etc all were find. Center diff was silent when in the air and the mechanic was going thru the gears.

Pop hood no visual mods all good (new car was a 2 owner commuter vehicle) took turbo inlet off and BLAM shaft play and scarring on the cold side housing. Was going to do compression but i walked away. Now that car probably was great and probably is still driving error free somewhere.

Sometimes dealers dont think to look for that stuff but do have good intentions other times the car can check out fine (there is only so much one can check) and the engine blows 4K miles later. Turbo cars compression numbers and turbo health are the key.

All good info. I have never owned a forced induction vehicle before, so wouldn't know what to look for in regards to the turbo.

I did find a Subaru dealership less than 2 miles from the dealer I'm purchasing from, and they agreed to let me drive it over there for a few hours to have it inspected (The Subie dealership quoted me $125 for an inspection). I assume they would know how to look at all that turbo stuff? They said they couldn't dig into the timing belt, but if there isn't a sticker then they could see if they see evidence of the cover being removed at least.

Archived