LegacyGT.com

Wagon Exhaust Resonance

Looking for feedback/opinions/ideas for reducing the exhaust resonance/bass/vibrations on my wagon, heard/felt outside the vehicle. It occurs around 1000-1500 rpm, especially on start-up/cold idle.

The reverberation will shake the house and seems excessive. Overall the car is not much louder that stock, if at all, in terms of volume, but the resonance outside the vehicle is substantial.

There is some exhaust boom/drone in the interior, but it is livable and goes away to essentially nothing while driving.

I have gone over the various sound deadening threads, but they seem to focus on interior resonance. I will try likely try some of the solutions anyway. I have checked for exhaust leaks and have not found any obvious ones,

but I will try a smoke test on the exhaust side to confirm.

Vehicle is a 2006 LGT Wagon:

- Stage 2 tune

- OEM exhaust manifold

- OEM STi non-catted up-pipe

- Grimmspeed catted downpipe

- OEM midpipe and y-pipe

- JDM Legacy STi wagon twin tip axleback mufflers

I've read an ELH could help since it eliminate the unbalanced exhaust pulses, as well as adding resonators/mufflers to the midpipe (with the COBB and other CBE).

Open to hearing any and all suggestions!

First image courtesy of Gex.

327406042_LGTWagonFest.thumb.jpg.96e7dd5bb60daa5e5e29c0e858c980b2.jpg

T0lAIlL.thumb.jpg.1cb41ff6d3351848c10f12808ddb36fd.jpg

2006 Legacy GT Wagon - Regamasters, Evo X Recaros, STI 6MT, Brembo 6-Pots (in progress)

@regashiii

Thanks for the input. I have a JDM wagon bumper and they protrude past the lower part of the bumper (see profile photo), but do not extend completely past the bumper when viewed from above. It's definitely better than being sunk in the USDM bumper, however I didn't notice a change in the resonance when the JDM rear bumper was installed.

I could try putting some extra piping over the tips to temporarily extend them and see if it has any impact.

cheers

D6G4ETB.thumb.jpg.25c520c23a4105f4f6dd7fcf7434ad5b.jpg

CsV31jy.thumb.jpg.d72f53f7f5cc6a63e0e8699bffe8189d.jpg

2006 Legacy GT Wagon - Regamasters, Evo X Recaros, STI 6MT, Brembo 6-Pots (in progress)

@regashiii

After I posted that earlier today, I thought may be I should have suggested you go pick up some flashing for a roof and hose clamps and make some extensions.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have a wagon that I recently installed the STi quad tips on. The resonance that can be experienced from inside the house is something I noticed as well. If I'm planning any road trips I may swap the stock mufflers back on. Also sound deadening is in the hopper.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Well, at the risk of sounding like an a-hole, you're complaining about resonance and a resonator would probably help with that :p

Another thing to look for would be that your exhaust hangers are still looking OK. When they get old they allow for a little more play.

Haha I wish it were that simple. As far as I know that only helps with higher pitched tones/"raspiness".

Sounds good, I've been meaning to do those anyway to tuck up the tips a bit more.

I'm thinking I will pick up a pair of stock mufflers to confirm that fixes it, then see about grafting the twin tips on the stock mufflers.

Thanks all.

@regashiii

Haha I wish it were that simple. As far as I know that only helps with higher pitched tones/"raspiness".

Sounds good, I've been meaning to do those anyway to tuck up the tips a bit more.

I'm thinking I will pick up a pair of stock mufflers to confirm that fixes it, then see about grafting the twin tips on the stock mufflers.

Thanks all.

A resonator helps with pretty much any drone created by an exhaust. I would still say it's worth trying out a universal resonator from Borla and seeing if that helps. I noticed at cold start right away that my car was quieter with my new, nice Borla catback (resonated) than my old Ebay special that had mufflers, but no resonator.

Edited by Pleides

• 3 weeks later...

Swapped mufflers to OEM JDM LGT wagon axle backs, all resonance gone.

Looking at the STi twin tip axlebacks, the spot welds along the seam of the muffler have some corrosion, so I'll smoke test and see if it's leaking.

Thanks everyone for their input.

cheers

@regashiii

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I used this resonator on one of my wagons (single scroll) and it made a huge difference. I can talk in the car on speakerphone without any issues now and can still enjoy

'tunnel resonance' with my right foot when desired:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-1142

You can also get it for far cheaper than summit and on amazon there is someone with a 4th gen GT wagon with a comparison vid.