LegacyGT.com

OBXT to Bilstein XT

I dug through my pictures and I don't have any of the bottom seat. If I remember I spent a while making sure it sat correctly on the bottom when I took off the spring compressors.

The top I don't think I worried about.

I would build it and see if it looks like anything would move around.

Hopefully someone who did this more than once (and 2 years ago) can help out to.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well that's reasonable. I know 5mt wagons are rare. I was an OB purist and hate to see them butchered.

Install some firm struts and stiffer swaybars, and spend some coin on a solid (but complimentary) wheel with excellent tires and just enjoy them for what they are.

For a lot of us it's what SS said. I wanted a Legacy GT wagon with a manual, that wasn't available / I couldn't find it. But I could find a manual Outback 2.5xt.

By lowering it and installing firmer shocks I am basically creating my own Legacy GT. It has nothing to do with "keeping the Outback pure" and everything with modifying the car for your needs / wants. I mean It's all just the Legacy platform and the parts are all interchangeable.

Note: I am still higher than a Legacy (and most normal cars) due to body lift spacers, tire diameter, and spacers I have on top of my struts.

Edit: Never be quick is an odd statement to make. It's the same engine as the Legacy GT, any performance modifications you can perform on the Legacy you can also perform on the 2.5XT.

Edited by Rhitter

It seems to be good on the bottom. The spring is as far clockwise as possible. The top is where I'm concerned.

I'm sure the mechanic who will help me install it all will let me know if it looks wonky.

Thanks for your input.

Edit: Never be quick is an odd statement to make. It's the same engine as the Legacy GT, any performance modifications you can perform on the Legacy you can also perform on the 2.5XT; but given that its a heavy wagon you are right, it will never be as quick as or handle as well as a sedan... I could spend thousands on it and the best i could hope for is a spirited car that is fun to drive, but yes, it will never actually be quick for a import... just quick*.

*for a big long heavy wagon

^Fixed that for ya.

Not trolling. Just being honest.

Honestly, I miss having the utility of the outback or a wagon in general.

Before I bought my LGT I found a red(solid not two tone or plastic clad) w/ black interior that I would have loved, but it was a 5eat. So no dice.

I still sort of regret not buying it, but I'm a sedan man first, and wagon man second. Even now i know that the sedan I drive is the compromise, and the outback i passed up would have been the prize(just slow and not as nimble)

Now I can't even fold down my back seats.

Legacy GT (sedan)

Weight: 3415 (the spec b is 35xx)

Length: 185 inches

1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 15.45 @ 91.55 (Edmunds.com)

Subaru Outback XT

Weight: 3535

Length: 189 inches

Standing 1/4-mile: 15.6 sec @ 92 mph (Car and Driver - auto)

Braking / skidpad / slalom stock for stock the outback is destroyed by the Legacy GT. The Outback has similar bits and can offer similar levels of on road perfomance with the right modifications.

My main point is I agree stock not even close to nimble, but not quick? It's basically the same speed as the Legacy GT. It's the same chassis just with different bits attached. Replace them and you have a Legacy.

This guy seems to be doing alright http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/vir-full-course-3-27-miles-subaru-outback-xt-2-207081.html (heavily modified)

• 3 weeks later...

I remember when I installed my Megans the alignment shop couldn't get the front camber within spec and had to grind out one of the bolt holes on the lower strut mount. This was with the car no lower than where it will probably be with the Bilsteins.

Did anyone have any issues with front camber? Did you use different camber bolts, etc...?

HDs, Pinks and 22mm spacers.

Thanks.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Another revival.

Rhitter - I was going to post on your build thread but felt my questions might receive better optics on this general thread. So here we go...

1. I see mentioning of Bilstein HDs... Are you all referring to the Bilstein US B6 Struts and Shocks; or units imported from Japan?

2. Rhitter - for your front suspension, did you essentially build a Legacy GT Spec.b front strut assembly? (yes I know you have Spec.b wagon springs; awesome btw).

3. Rhitter again - for your rear shocks, did you use the same Bilstein HD (B6?) with a LGT or Spec.b top hat with the spacer? If Spec.b, could you have used the a LGT top hat and achieved the same result? If Spec.b again, did you use all the components as if you were building a rear Spec.b assembly, except using LGT wagon springs?

I'm looking to use Bilstein US B6 all around, LGT wagon springs front and rear, and am trying to determine if those springs will work with a Spec.b top hat (Bilstein US requires a Spec.b top hat for installation).

Thanks for any clarity that can be provided.